IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Don't do that, save it for the people who find out about it late etc... or leave them with TailChao to sell for some extra profit later on since it didn't perform as well as expected. Or just buy it to sell for regular price to a good person that missed out. If it was a AAA game that's being printed in mass, that's one thing, but I'd rather see these go to real fans without breaking their bank. I'd understand selling it in 10 years if it is worth a ton, but buying one with only a few left with that in mind doesn't seem cool to me personally. Of course it isn't illegal and I can't stop you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hastor said:

Don't do that, save it for the people who find out about it late etc... or leave them with TailChao to sell for some extra profit later on since it didn't perform as well as expected. Or just buy it to sell for regular price to a good person that missed out. If it was a AAA game that's being printed in mass, that's one thing, but I'd rather see these go to real fans without breaking their bank. I'd understand selling it in 10 years if it is worth a ton, but buying one with only a few left with that in mind doesn't seem cool to me personally. Of course it isn't illegal and I can't stop you.

You know there is already copies being advertised on ebay for $250 right? 

7 hours ago, Hastor said:

Yeah and I think that's crappy. There's a TON of crappy things people are doing in the world that I wouldn't take part in myself.

Sure. I was just pointing it out. I guess I would have to buy it and wait 10 years before parting with it to meet your stance on the matter then. All I was getting at is that I know I could buy an extra copy and not be worried about it cause it a game worth buying. The fact there is still a couple dozen unsold is sad.

On 10/29/2020 at 12:44 PM, RevEng said:

OMG, that needs to become a trend. We need to see which 7800 hardware guy is the alpha stacker! ?

I'd kick it off, but nobody would be impressed by my shameful stack of one.

I only have one which could be described as working and in good condition, life is difficult for such an inadequate wolf.

Eh... we really should have shot a promotional video of the development team swimming in a pool of Combat cartridges ala Scrooge McDuck, hyped up a bunch of revolutionary audio-visual-olfactory nonsense, then never shipped anything. That'd net some real xtreem retro gamer credz.

22 hours ago, Hastor said:

Yeah and I think that's crappy. There's a TON of crappy things people are doing in the world that I wouldn't take part in myself.

Reselling something at a markup is what any distributor does, so I honestly have no issue with this. If someone pays for a copy of the game they can do whatever they like with it.

It's not like the digital version is going to be taken away either, and that's the version which had to move in order to immediately kick off another project.

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

The fact there is still a couple dozen unsold is sad.

15 Copies left now.

• Like 6

As long as the creator is fine with it. I'd have rather you held onto what's left after a certain date so you could sell it for more in the future.

With something not in high demand though it makes more sense. Not like flipping the last 5 in a final batch of a flash cart when people here are still trying to get one, or buying up all the PS5s so families have to pay twice for them. None of that is even illegal, just not polite in my eyes, but if you don't care about hanging onto them, I'm fine with people doing whatever too, the creator gets final call to me for sure. If I saw someone bidding on eBay though I'd point them to your website instead while some are still available.

I'll grab another then too but I wouldn't sell it while you still have copies, and it might go to a friend in need of I run into one first.

Edited by Hastor

On 10/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, 7800Knight said:

I just rejoined this forum (my old ID was unusable as my email for it was cancelled) and the first thing I did was buy a copy of this game for my Atari 7800.

I'm glad to see people still brewing games for my beloved 7800!

13 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

14 now...picked one up for my son.?

Great purchase! If you game on PC don't forget the Steam version!

• Like 2

Still debating whether to stay in the 7800 scene or not, as I'm selling up all my originals currently (but not the homebrew yet, just the games from the 80s). Best make a decision soon, although I do have the money spare to buy it right now...!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Still debating whether to stay in the 7800 scene or not, as I'm selling up all my originals currently (but not the homebrew yet, just the games from the 80s). Best make a decision soon, although I do have the money spare to buy it right now...!

Might be worth noting that a flash cart is in the works, but if you won't be playing it anyway that doesn't help.

18 minutes ago, Hastor said:

Might be worth noting that a flash cart is in the works, but if you won't be playing it anyway that doesn't help.

Not sure that any of the flash carts in development would be able to play Rikki & Vikki given the unique sound chip the game uses? 

• Like 1

I took it as a "stay in the scene" incentive, rather than a way to play R&V. No flash carts will play R&V due to the sound chip, unique bank scheme, and perhaps most importantly, the only rom that uses this scheme isn't distributed. (or at least, it's distributed with the only authorized way to play)

AFAIK, nobody in the hardware dev scene is interested in enabling piracy for modern brews, which is as it should be.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure that any of the flash carts in development would be able to play Rikki & Vikki given the unique sound chip the game uses? 

That's right. I meant playing the 7800 as a whole as they are thinking of getting rid of it. This game should be held onto flash cart or not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've been trying to nudge support for the game's mapper, or at least something similar, into the 7800GD. Not necessarily for compatibility with Rikki & Vikki but because I don't feel there's many (any?) good options for giving the 7800 a nudge in graphics - most effort has been in the audio department. I'd still like to try and finish the PMC1's hardware tests for similar reasons, as this really helps put the console on par with comparable offerings on the NES.

Getting full BupChip support into any flash card is somewhat convoluted since you'd need not only a microcontroller, but standardized way to load music data into it.

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

I took it as a "stay in the scene" incentive, rather than a way to play R&V. No flash carts will play R&V due to the sound chip, unique bank scheme, and perhaps most importantly, the only rom that uses this scheme isn't distributed. (or at least, it's distributed with the only authorized way to play)

AFAIK, nobody in the hardware dev scene is interested in enabling piracy for modern brews, which is as it should be.

I'd actually be fine with someone ripping ./Data/FoxBox.bin out of the Windows version and running on a flash cartridge - otherwise I would have hidden it in the executable. But if that data were frequently given a five finger discount, especially when we already made it available for (what I feel is) a reasonable price, then there's an issue.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TailChao said:

I've been trying to nudge support for the game's mapper, or at least something similar, into the 7800GD. Not necessarily for compatibility with Rikki & Vikki but because I don't feel there's many (any?) good options for giving the 7800 a nudge in graphics - most effort has been in the audio department. I'd still like to try and finish the PMC1's hardware tests for similar reasons, as this really helps put the console on par with comparable offerings on the NES.

What is 7800GD?

14 minutes ago, Pat Brady said:

What is 7800GD?

I believe that is in reference to the 7800 Game Drive. That is the flash cart solution being developed by @SainT. The same guy behind the JagGD and the LynxGD. But again, still in development to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah he's been revamping his business over the past year to not do it all himself. Once the JagGD is finally out to everyone, I think he is gonna look into the 7800 GD. Supposed to have pokey support. His other thing he wants to work on is adding support for cd images to the Jag GD.

I bought the digital version on Steam a while back, and have enjoyed it immensely, but of course I've been jonesing to play this game on a real 7800. Just got my copy today which was after and extremely quick turn-around time after ordering, and must say I'm quite impressed with the quality of the packaging, not to mention with the game itself. Just one little oddity, though...the board seems to have a very loose fit inside of the cartridge, as it rattles around a bit when handling it. Is this normal, or did I just get an odd duck? It's not a big deal at all, personally, just wondering if that's normal for the board and the cartridge shell.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, TailChao said:

Designed for long term reliability, this wedge was  not...

Rikki & Vikki's cartridge has very careful (perhaps somewhat paranoid) decoupling compared to both Atari's boards and the 7800 itself, this could prevent it from acting wonky if the console's 5V rail isn't stable or some of the capacitors are failing. Another possibility is the 7800's internal SRAM is what's at fault - as Rikki & Vikki places all its Display List Lists in the cartridge's EXRAM. Fetching a Display List (List) has the tightest timing requirements of Maria's accesses, so if the SRAM is drifting out of spec it might not get the right data out in time.

Based upon these new symptoms I don't think Maria is the culprit. I'd first go for the regulator (just to be safe) and big electrolytic caps, then try replacing the SRAM.

SRAM was my first thought. All the chips in my 7800 are socketed I believe, so a quick test might be to swap the SRAMs and see if the symptom changes any.