IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Scalpers don't bother me as much as they used to....at least a copy is available somewhere. The worst is when you are trying to "catch em all" and you can't find ANY!! Not even an overpriced one...for a compulsive speed collector it is the definition of hopeless...

Scalpers are also a good reminder to not fall asleep at the wheel when a good homebrew, in limited numbers, becomes available. It's not like this game wasn't readily available for a good amount of time ;) You snooze you lose! Purchase one homebrew at 3 times the price and you learn your lesson not to wait. Unless it's one of those "purposely rare" runs of 10 or whatever, thats just bullshit, haha

I remember this little "rareware" sign that I made. I did a run of 25 of them, finally sold them all after a few years. I think I asked like $10 plus shipping. Just something I did for fun and a little "beer money" Well, out of nowhere one day I got bombed with messages on ebay asking for them, reportedly a well known N64 collector bought one for his collection and featured it on reddit or something. I didn't have any left and couldn't make anymore but suddenly everyone wanted one. People were even getting upset with me for not making enough, even though I struggled to sell the small amount I made years ago (even gave a few away for free lol) Some people started actually "scalping" my little sign, one guy got $60 for it! I wasn't mad at all, I found it flattering...but, comparing some dumb little sign I made to a homebrew that takes an unbelievable amount of work is apples and oranges of course...

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is, people seem to want things more when they can't have them...of course somebody is going to profit from that...but who is to blame for it?

• Like 4

Someone selling something at market value, like a unique nearly bespoke Atari 7800 cartridge with a great game and innovative hardware inside like Rikki & Vikki, doesn't seem like a bad thing. You can call it scalping if it irritates you, but I really don't see the issue. It costs what someone is willing to pay, and while someone is free to sell it for less if they wish, they are under no obligation to do so. If you bought your home earlier, and it's worth more today, you should feel comfortable selling it for the new appreciated market value. Same for your R&V cart.

Someone exploiting relationships or other vaguely corrupt means to corner a market on something, without adding real value, seems wrong to me. That can be someone bribing a sports venue clerk to inside early access to buy face value tickets at the front of the line ahead of them being on sale, or that can be an investment bank that prices a new IPO under-market so they can reward their insiders. In this case, there was a R&V cart production run, and it was for sale to all for a good while. Plus, there may be future runs, which has been hinted as a possibility, which will also impact the price.

• Like 2

Well, there has been no response to my reply #1324. So I am expecting a pricetag that is not going to be reveiled here. I am not begging for a copy of this game. I spotted the game on Ebay and was wondering where it came from. Yes, right here, but I was just too late to get one. And knowing for how long it has been available it makes me laugh instead of cry. Same thing happened to me just recently when I could have bought the pokey versions of several 7800 games. Just when I wanted to empty my shopping basket (which had been filled for weeks) they were gone.

Like I said earlier, I will wait for a copy and hope that there will be enough demand for an additional run.

3 hours ago, Dutch Colecovision Fan said:

Well, there has been no response to my reply #1324. So I am expecting a pricetag that is not going to be reveiled here. I am not begging for a copy of this game. I spotted the game on Ebay and was wondering where it came from. Yes, right here, but I was just too late to get one. And knowing for how long it has been available it makes me laugh instead of cry. Same thing happened to me just recently when I could have bought the pokey versions of several 7800 games. Just when I wanted to empty my shopping basket (which had been filled for weeks) they were gone.

Like I said earlier, I will wait for a copy and hope that there will be enough demand for an additional run.

Sorry just say your reply see my previous post above 

3 hours ago, Dutch Colecovision Fan said:

Same thing happened to me just recently when I could have bought the pokey versions of several 7800 games. Just when I wanted to empty my shopping basket (which had been filled for weeks) they were gone.

Hmm yeah I'm seeing that too. I got the 3 Pokey games I wanted back in May - I didn't realize there was any limited supply there. Guess I'm glad I grabbed then when I did. I did get the PokeyOne versions, but do have a spare pokey if a cart ever needs it. Looks like all versions are out. They didn't take them down though, maybe there'll be another run. Can always email and ask.

3 hours ago, oakcitycomics said:

What I originally paid shipped when ordered so roughly $65. However shipping to Europe from the USA is a bit outrageous these days but I'm happy to get you a shipping quote just PM me your postal code and country 

Your a great guy! I have my copy but this is a great deal. If someone resells from your honest offer for more $$$. Please ban them from AA for crimes of extreme douchary. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oakcitycomics said:

What I originally paid shipped when ordered so roughly $65. However shipping to Europe from the USA is a bit outrageous these days but I'm happy to get you a shipping quote just PM me your postal code and country 

If so, then you are a gentleman. Good on you for it. I hope it brings other sales to your store when people are buying these from you at the same time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, oakcitycomics said:

It depends. For one game approximately 25 USD. On Ebay however is it getting way out of hand. Especially with import duties. I will send you a PM. The price you are asking is very reasonable.

14 hours ago, Jinks said:

Your a great guy! I have my copy but this is a great deal. If someone resells from your honest offer for more $$$. Please ban them from AA for crimes of extreme douchary. 

18 hours ago, oakcitycomics said:

14 hours ago, Jinks said:

Honestly, unless you sell them directly to people in need of one (with some kind of proof?) resellers are just going to snatch them up instantly on Ebay. If I was in your shoes I'd sell them for $85. It's a fair price for a game no longer being sold. You make a little profit for your hassle, people are still happy to get the game at a fair (out of print) price, etc... just my opinion though...

I mean the creator of the game said they don't care if people buy them and put them on eBay for whatever they want. As long as they endorse it, I don't have a problem. I'm not selling mine btw lol. I'd brought it up earlier as well but once the creator said it was cool, I defer to their wishes.

35 minutes ago, Hastor said:

I mean the creator of the game said they don't care if people buy them and put them on eBay for whatever they want. As long as they endorse it, I don't have a problem. I'm not selling mine btw lol. I'd brought it up earlier as well but once the creator said it was cool, I defer to their wishes.

Ya and???

It is a free world to be a opportunist douchebag  I agree.

This guy on here is a talking about selflessness. I give those people 1000% respect.  

Whichever road a person chooses everyone has a choice. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Ya and???

It is a free world to be a opportunist douchebag  I agree.

This guy on here is a talking about selflessness. I give those people 1000% respect.  

Whichever road a person chooses everyone has a choice. 

I am totally happy that someone is selling their extras at cost, or at least most of them. I wasn't saying anything against that at all. I was just saying that I too was complaining about someone buying one to ask so much on eBay etc., and the creator of the game said they didn't care if people do that. I have nothing against the person selling it at cost, just pointing out that it's worth noting that the creator doesn't discourage this. To me that means something, I like to know a work is being treated as the creator of it wishes. If they don't mind, I don't mind. In general I would, but creator's opinion holds more weight to me. If it doesn't change your perspective, that's fine. I just wanted to note that, and it did seem that the last bit went a bit more quickly after some of that talk, and people felt like it was ok to order a second copy or more. They weren't moving super fast before. I'm sure the fact the quantity was getting low drove it as well. That's all just guesses by me though.

I respect someone for selling most of their extras at/near cost though. If I had more than my never-opened copy and my copy that I play, I might consider selling one too, at cost, and may sell one of those in the future, but no plans to currently. I would like to see it get some play eventually, I don't get things just to let them sit there unused typically. It may even end up a gift.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, schnuth said:

Once a viable 7800 flash cart is on the market, would I be able to purchase a ROM?

Just to add some more detail there, the only flash cart I'm aware of that's planned is the 7800 GD by RetroHQ which still seems to be a bit of a ways off. It will support Pokey sound for stuff like Ballblazer that had one built into the cartridge to provide its own audio. This game uses a different chip that no other 7800 game uses. It's been confirmed that the 7800 GD will only support games that used Pokey for enhanced audio. It isn't worth it to add hardware to a flash cart to make one homebrew game work, and as noted above, you can experience the full game with audio via Steam on Windows if you missed out on a cart.

11 hours ago, Hastor said:

Just to add some more detail there, the only flash cart I'm aware of that's planned is the 7800 GD by RetroHQ which still seems to be a bit of a ways off.

Fred “batari” Quimby has started selling his newly-redesigned Concerto in small batches to the public. It does not support anything like R&V’s custom hardware out of the box, though it might be possible with a future firmware update; that said, I have a physical copy of this one and don’t intend to let it go anytime soon. :) 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:56 AM, zezba9000 said:

Looks like there is a copy on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rikki-Vikki-Atari-7800/233454635498?hash=item365afb09ea:g:PCAAAOSw5wVdrIYk

Bit pricey there but if you own any game on the 7800 it might just be the best one.

Its a very well made cart.

Before I bought my copy from PenguiNet (in May 2020, after I saw the game on the Atari Homebrew Awards), this listing was already on eBay for at least a few months.
So it's probably not a scalper.

Edited by Dionoid

On 11/30/2020 at 9:28 PM, oakcitycomics said:

I have sent a PM last Tuesday but it's still haven't been read. Never mind. Like I said, I will wait for an additional run. Even if it takes years from now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Before I bought my copy from PenguiNet (in May 2020, after I saw the game on the Atari Homebrew Awards), this listing was already on eBay for at least a few months.
So it's probably not a scalper.

Well at this point the value of the cart is a lot higher as they're not made anymore and the ROM can't run on a FlashCart.

Seems like you might be able to keep making them if a pre-order bulk was generated and the assembly was outsourced to people who take a cut. Sad to see such cool & highly specialized creations just die off.

3 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

Well at this point the value of the cart is a lot higher as they're not made anymore and the ROM can't run on a FlashCart.

You're correct that it can't be played on a flashcart, but it can be played on Steam.  It's not like the game is inaccessible to anyone who wants to experience it; they just have to do it on a different platform.

Seems like you might be able to keep making them if a pre-order bulk was generated and the assembly was outsourced to people who take a cut. Sad to see such cool & highly specialized creations just die off.

@TailChao mentioned that future runs may be a possibility.  It's not just going to die off, especially with 551 copies spread across the globe.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1