IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

On 12/24/2020 at 4:13 PM, Jinks said:

Many people never intended to play the game. 

This thinking should be reserved for the extremely crappy homebrews made that people buy only for their shelf. This game is meant to be played!!

That is why I try to avoid buying boxes. I don't want cardboard I want a game! But I had to get the cardboard on this one and I'm glad I bought it. Got it on Steam and even gifted it on Steam. 

I would LOVE to see a Switch release of this.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, Jinks said:

Many people never intended to play the game. 

This thinking should be reserved for the extremely crappy homebrews made that people buy only for their shelf. This game is meant to be played!!

That was similar to my struggle with trying to decide to buy it or not.  I wanted to buy it to make it worth the developer's efforts as it's an impressive game.  However, it's really not my style and I know I wouldn't play it much.  I opted to not buy and hope that others would buy it that would play it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nadir said:

That was similar to my struggle with trying to decide to buy it or not.  I wanted to buy it to make it worth the developer's efforts as it's an impressive game.  However, it's really not my style and I know I wouldn't play it much.  I opted to not buy and hope that others would buy it that would play it.

Honestly, it's not really my style either.  I originally was hoping and thinking it is more action/adventure based and less puzzle.  The game though is that amazingly good, I had to play it through, and very glad I did.  It's fantastic!  Additionally, the developer can still be supported...

http://www.penguinet.net/Games/Rikki_Vikki/Purchase/index.php

Currently, it is on sale through January 5 for only $1.99 under Steam:

image.thumb.png.036aab82cbdff3895d254e67b7329bb8.png

Further, it can be purchased via Humble Bundle (No DRM) at the regular price of $9.99 with the option to leave the developer a tip:

image.thumb.png.59052c3e1ea0b29bd00dcf9e26dc2571.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Honestly, it's not really my style either.  I originally was hoping and thinking it is more action/adventure based and less puzzle.  The game though is that amazingly good, I had to play it through, and very glad I did.  It's fantastic!  Additionally, the developer can still be supported...

http://www.penguinet.net/Games/Rikki_Vikki/Purchase/index.php

Currently, it is on sale through January 5 for only $1.99 under Steam:

Further, it can be purchased via Humble Bundle (No DRM) at the regular price of $9.99 with the option to leave the developer a tip:

Trebor!  It turns out it was your video I saw in my semi-lucid state, which made me seek out this game!

I'm still looking for a cart version, but have been playing the heck out of if on my PC.  I also gifted two Humble Bundle copies to my brothers as a cool Christmas gift.  They've been having some fun over the holidays playing co-op with their daughters (Though the difficulty is high at points.)

You video also helps out in a pinch when I get stuck.  (I try to resist as much as possible.  ;-) )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MattelAquarius said:

Trebor!  It turns out it was your video I saw in my semi-lucid state, which made me seek out this game!

I'm still looking for a cart version, but have been playing the heck out of if on my PC.  I also gifted two Humble Bundle copies to my brothers as a cool Christmas gift.  They've been having some fun over the holidays playing co-op with their daughters (Though the difficulty is high at points.)

You video also helps out in a pinch when I get stuck.  (I try to resist as much as possible.  ;-) )

?

I did 'bookmark' for those with specific stuck points to help out and avoid spoiling...

image.thumb.png.5103dcc7c6b1ad86abacf959de9e82f4.png
image.thumb.png.252cb3f50f14cbd30af259494b1a940c.png
image.thumb.png.5d5fb9029d40a712605046f66b10f2a7.png

• Thanks 1

I stumbled upon my Rikki and Vikki box again tonight (the game has been sitting in my 7800 ever since I bought it last year) and I'm still blown away at just how incredibly well thought out and detailed the packaging is (with the extras even) for what I guess is to be considered a homebrew game, although it feels like anything but. It has a level of professional finesse that is not only unique but truly emphasizes quality, the attention to detail is appreciated and it's across the board from the box to the game.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, fultonbot said:

I bought this game more than a year ago, but I've never tried it.  I just got my 7800 working again today, and tonight I plan to see what all the fuss is about.  

The fuss is legit, this game must be making the top 5 lists of must have carts for 7800 owners.

For the sake of the developer, I hope they manage to make more because they certainly deserve the sale profits than some eBay scalper selling a used copy for nearly $200 (only one currently available on eBay from France at the moment).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Black Falcon said:

One pretty interesting thing is that the one player and two player modes have entirely different level sets as far as I can tell, it's worth playing both even as one person just to go through the two player versions of the stages.

Not only entirely different level sets - different boss challenges as well. :-o 

An argument could be made that it is really 2 games in 1.  Thinking of the 1st game as the 1 player game, and the 2 players game as the 2nd/sequel game. 

Almost something along the lines of how Double Dragon/Double Dragon II (Arcade) flowed.  The second maintaining much of the structure and feel of the first; more like an expansion of sorts.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the retail version of Rikki & Vikki on Tuesday's (Jan 12, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

338484600_20210112-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.3d06f01af759e3bb0b6914274d1f3875.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed this change to the Penguin.net status of Rikki & Vikki:

"The Atari 7800 ProSystem version of Rikki & Vikki ceased production on November 6, 2020 after shipping 550 units." [emphasis mine]

Previously it said more would be possibly be made.  I understand their position, but it still makes me a bit sad.  It's such a fun game and cool game for the 7800.  It's really a shame that there was never an arrangement made for AtariAge to continue making carts in some fashion, even considering R&V's unique board and chipset.   

Maybe someday...

25 minutes ago, Rey said:

I wanted this game but I came in too late to the 7800 scene. I've only owned the console for less than a year after last owning one in 87. I'd pay for the Rom to run it on the Concertó. 

The game uses a custom mapper/bankswitching scheme so it’s not clear it would run on Concerto (or Dragonfly) absent firmware changes to recognize and implement the scheme. Worse, the cart uses custom music tracker hardware integrated in the PCB to play the amazing soundtrack. No existing SD card can emulate that as it currently stands. 

• Thanks 1

If you buy the Steam version, you can find the ROM plainly in the folder, which was done intentionally... however, as mentioned, good luck getting it to run anywhere, especially with all the sound. You can of course just play it in the steam emulator it is packed in, but I get that isn't the same. It at least lets you experience the game though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Hastor said:

If you buy the Steam version, you can find the ROM plainly in the folder, which was done intentionally... however, as mentioned, good luck getting it to run anywhere, especially with all the sound. You can of course just play it in the steam emulator it is packed in, but I get that isn't the same. It at least lets you experience the game though!

I have the Steam version and don't see the ROM anywhere. I even tried extracting the .exe

Since there's been some recent work on the 7800 core I wanted to try it on my MiSTer.

7 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

I have the Steam version and don't see the ROM anywhere. I even tried extracting the .exe

The data is stored in the 'BupSystem' proprietary *.cdf format.   Check the folders (Data and Music) not the executable. 

The executable is the BupSystem emulator with a facelift.

It is similar to cue/bin/wav structuring.

Think of it like:

CUE = *.cdf

BIN = *.bin

WAV(s) = *.mus file(s)

There are some extra *.mus files that can be swapped around, including a TIA version too, as a special 'Easter Egg' bonus. :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The data is stored in the 'BupSystem' proprietary *.cdf format.   Check the folders (Data and Music) not the executable. 

The executable is the BupSystem emulator with a facelift.

It is similar to cue/bin/wav structuring.

Think of it like:

CUE = *.cdf

BIN = *.bin

WAV(s) = *.mus file(s)

There are some extra *.mus files that can be swapped around, including a TIA version too, as a special 'Easter Egg' bonus. :)

Thanks, and I do see those files. The MiSTer core is looking for *.a78 ROMs so I was hoping to find that. Ah well.

13 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Thanks, and I do see those files. The MiSTer core is looking for *.a78 ROMs so I was hoping to find that. Ah well.

The *.a78 format is a *.bin file with a header.  There is no *.a78 header though that supports the game currently.

Even if the header exists, there still needs to be support for the 'BupChip' in order to hear any audio from those *.mus files.

• Like 1

Dumb question-- is there a way to get the soundtrack?  i.e. if I buy the Steam version, are the *.mus files simply wav files that I can play?

This is one game I'd be very interested in having an soundtrack playlist for.  Maybe I should contact @TailChao.

1 hour ago, Propane13 said:

Dumb question-- is there a way to get the soundtrack?  i.e. if I buy the Steam version, are the *.mus files simply wav files that I can play?

This is one game I'd be very interested in having an soundtrack playlist for.  Maybe I should contact @TailChao.

Here you go...this is how I got mine:

https://rushjet1.com/album/rikki-vikki

• Like 2