IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Presently only Bupsystem emulator works with it (which is the emulator bundled with the Steam release) but you need to actually choose the FoxBox.cdf file. It's sort of like a bin/cue deal, where cdf is a text file that specifies the FoxBox.bin file and also tells the emulator some extra info, like what order the music tracks are in.

If you're trying to play R&V with the beta MiSTer FPGA 7800 core, you can skip the cdf, but you need to add an a78 header to FoxBox.bin, specifying the Souper format. This can be done with the latest version of 7800header, which is in the 7800AsmDevKit.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, RevEng said:

Presently only Bupsystem emulator works with it (which is the emulator bundled with the Steam release) but you need to actually choose the FoxBox.cdf file. It's sort of like a bin/cue deal, where cdf is a text file that specifies the FoxBox.bin file and also tells the emulator some extra info, like what order the music tracks are in.

If you're trying to play R&V with the beta MiSTer FPGA 7800 core, you can skip the cdf, but you need to add an a78 header to FoxBox.bin, specifying the Souper format. This can be done with the latest version of 7800header, which is in the 7800AsmDevKit.

I wonder if support will be added to either the Dragonfly or Concerto to play R&V with just the tia sounds and not the extra music? I'm sure many people who bought the game would like to be able to do this. I sure would. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kitrinx said:

I made a bps patch to add a header to the game. The rom will usually be named FoxBox.bin if you got it from steam.

Rikki and Vikki patch.zip 274 B · 1 download

That was a kind thing to do. Now the only question is if support for the dragonfly and\or concerto will be added so that they know what to do with the info from that header :)

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

I wonder if support will be added to either the Dragonfly or Concerto to play R&V with just the tia sounds and not the extra music? I'm sure many people who bought the game would like to be able to do this. I sure would. 

Me too....but afaik,there is no 7800 a78 file,to play on emulator.

1 hour ago, desiv said:

If anyone who owns this and has or can get it working with a CC2 (obviously without music) can let us know, that would be great.

I'd buy the Windows version to get the BIN if I could get that file working on my CC2...

It is too large to work on the CC2.

Mitch

2 hours ago, desiv said:

Ah yeah!

My bad.  Yeah, the game appears to be 512k, which is the max the CC2 supports, but the music data is an extra 256k...

Thanx for the info...

Actually it is the extra 32k RAM + 512k ROM that is the main issue. The music is a separate thing.

Mitch

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Actually it is the extra 32k RAM + 512k ROM that is the main issue. The music is a separate thing.

Thanx, 

Didn't know about the extra 32k RAM.  Just saw the 512k mentioned on the first page of this thread.

(Page 8 of this thread has some more info on that, now that I have been searching a bit more...  Interesting reading.. )

Edited by desiv

It's been awhile, actually several whiles - let's catch up.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, Kitrinx said:

An .ips or patch file to add tia (or pokey or ym2151 or covox) music to this game would be amazing (and maybe add a header too with the new souper flag). I did implement souper in the 7800 core, but because bupchip is a modern microcontroller running software, it's much harder to deal with on fpga, and not implemented. I know it's a big ask, but it would be cool to see for such an amazing game :)

This is, although theoretically possible, far too much of an ask. I cannot justify the necessary time investment relative to other things right now.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, Hastor said:

The developer has mentioned that the Steam version includes the rom as plainly accessible. So the only extraction you need to do is extracting a file from a folder.

Yes, and since there's now support for running the game in something other than our own software, let's dig into this one for a minute. If you open the root folder of the Steam or Standalone (Humble Bundle) versions of Rikki & Vikki the files and folders below are of interest...

• ./Data
    • FoxBox.cdf
      The Cartridge Descriptor File used for running the game in BupSystem and also parsed by the Windows version. As pointed out by @Trebor and @RevEng, this is an alternative to the *.a78 file format. We used a bin/cue style structure as it better caters to our development workflow and how we were using the hardware. More details are in BupSystem's HTML Help.
    • FoxBox.bin
      The game's raw binary - this is what Sally and Maria are actually executing.

• ./Music
    • RV_Samples.smp
      RV_Macros.ins

Default samples and patches, these are identical to what's in every cartridge's BupChip.
    • GN_Samples.smp
      GN_Macros.ins

Sega Genesis alternate patch set.
    • ZX_Samples.smp
      ZX_Macros.ins

Sinclair ZX Spectrum alternate patch set.
    • *.mus
      Music tracks.

Now this part is important, so I'm going to write it LOUD in hopes that it'll actually be heard...

Rikki & Vikki's binary (./Data/FoxBox.bin) and music data (./Music/*) were made user accessible from day one so it could be run outside of the Windows version's sandbox. However, we cannot provide support or troubleshooting for any configurations outside of this or BupSystem. You're on your own.

When we designed the custom hardware used in Rikki & Vikki it was not intended as copy protection or any sort of lockout - it was so the game would achieve the level of visual and audio fidelity that we felt was necessary. These were released under an open license prior to the game itself and (as of writing) have been available and thoroughly documented for over two years. I apologize if exclusion was your experience, but there is a hard limit on what we can and cannot do.

If you'd like to add support for these to your own software - I'm happy to answer questions, but cannot write the implementation for you.

On 4/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Kitrinx said:

I made a bps patch to add a header to the game. The rom will usually be named FoxBox.bin if you got it from steam.

Thanks! I'll add a link to this in the FAQ and support for SOUPER in *.a78 files will be available in BupSystem's 0.9.6.4 update next month.

On 4/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, Shawn said:

This depends upon which signals are routed to the CLPD / FPGA on these devices and how many gates are available to implement SOUPER's feature set. I think the Dragonfly could pull it off and I've asked @SainT to implement SOUPER support in the 7800GD if there's enough resources. No idea about the Concerto.

• Like 7

On 4/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Shawn said:

Well I guess I'm not patiently waiting for a firmware update to the dragonfly. I'm gonna bug Rafal about this :)

We discussed adding support for SOUPER, and the Dragonfly doesn't route the necessary address lines for the 8/4/4KB EXRAM paging scheme :(

So the MiSTer is likely to stay the only hardware alternative for awhile - at least until (hopefully) the 7800GD is ready.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

the patch does not work for me ?

Currently, it works only on the MiSTer. 

Concerto (size too large) and DragonFly (hardware missing necessary address lines) does not support it.  Neither does emulators (The respective mapping needs to be added).

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, Trebor said:

Currently, it works only on the MiSTer. 

Concerto (size too large) and DragonFly (hardware missing necessary address lines) does not support it.  Neither does emulators (The respective mapping needs to be added).

What patch program is able to use this bps though? I've tried lunar and flips and both say foxbox.bin is not the intended file to be patched. I'm playing on my original cart happily but I have a friend that uses both the cart and windows versions and would like to be able to have an properly A78 headered version but is unable to do such things on his own.

Edited by Shawn

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

What patch program is able to use this bps though? I've tried lunar and flips and both say foxbox.bin is not the intended file to be patched. I'm playing on my original cart happily but I have a friend that uses both the cart and windows versions and would like to be able to have an properly A78 headered version but is unable to do such things on his own.

Use beat for .bps patches.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

Edited by dmckean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

1 hour ago, dmckean said:

Use beat for .bps patches.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

Romhacking has "v01" of Beat.

I utilize "v03" here.

Unsure what, if any, significant differences there are between the two versions. 

Either evidently work fine for the purpose here.  Pick your poison.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...