IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Got my copy tonight, absolutely fantastic!!!! I really need to get a resistor in my TIA output or something because i feel like i still cant get the music loud enough even after cranking it all the way up on the cart.

This game is a total package and then some! Only bad thing is I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and cant take my 7800 with me ?

One of the difficulty switches changes the TIA volume as well.

• Like 1

One of the difficulty switches changes the TIA volume as well.

Yeap player 1 difficulty changes the TIA volume. Position B to the right is low volume and position A to the left is louder. On my 7800 I actually do have the pokey and tia balanced correctly so I prefer to keep the TIA in the loud position.

Wow, postals service are blazing fast :

2019-02-27 18:48

UNITED STATES, NEWARK, Departed

2019-02-28 09:34

FRANCE, PARIS, Departed -> Your item departed a transfer airport in CH. DE GAULLE, PARIS, FRANCE on February 28, 2019 at 9:34 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

• Like 1

Good to see foxes arriving safely, and running on a wide selection of televisions.

We'll be up to 200 orders shipped in a few hours and I should be caught up with all pending ones by next Monday. Thanks everyone for waiting patiently.

Confirmed that the colors being off is the result of this being another game that produces odd colors in composite mode through a UAV similar to Tower Toppler. No amount of adjustment on the artifact pot brought it any closer to the light blue presented on those above screenshots.

I don't know enough about the UAV's design to offer a solution, but it sounds like an issue with the chroma phase or leveling. Much of the smearing is going to be off unless Atari's design is copied as closely as possible. I'll try and look into this when I have time to rework my own video board.

Hmm, anyone else getting a controller error on startup at all? I tried both 7800 joysticks and the d-pad controllers to no avail. Hope neither my 7800 or my cartridge are defective...

While it's not great form to just "blame the hardware," I've yet to see a console where this was not caused by a problem with the 7800's controllers or input circuit. Fluxit's advice of trying another two-button game is a good start, but I'll toss in a few more checks...

• Try starting the game without anything connected. If it's still showing the "connect a two-button controller" screen something is probably wrong with your 7800. In particular the input for a single-button joystick might be stuck low.
  • If you have another game, especially one which uses both controller ports, give that a try. Again, both controller ports have to be working 100% in order for the game to run.
  • Like 1

Good to see foxes arriving safely, and running on a wide selection of televisions.

We'll be up to 200 orders shipped in a few hours and I should be caught up with all pending ones by next Monday. Thanks everyone for waiting patiently.

I don't know enough about the UAV's design to offer a solution, but it sounds like an issue with the chroma phase or leveling. Much of the smearing is going to be off unless Atari's design is copied as closely as possible. I'll try and look into this when I have time to rework my own video board.

While it's not great form to just "blame the hardware," I've yet to see a console where this was not caused by a problem with the 7800's controllers or input circuit. Fluxit's advice of trying another two-button game is a good start, but I'll toss in a few more checks...

• Try starting the game without anything connected. If it's still showing the "connect a two-button controller" screen something is probably wrong with your 7800. In particular the input for a single-button joystick might be stuck low.
  • If you have another game, especially one which uses both controller ports, give that a try. Again, both controller ports have to be working 100% in order for the game to run.

Well In popped in a Magic Knight into my other 7800 test unit only this one still has the RF intact unlike my primary 7800. On RF the colors are correct. On the Magic Knight through S-video it looks the same as the UAV and the initial promo videos from the 7800 on s-vid. But using an s-vid to composite adapter produces a yellow colored water. Now I can adjust for this slightly with a Luma adjustment pot that the Magic knight incorporates, but doing so will then put the signal at just nearly out of spec that sometimes it isn't detected by the TV anymore when powering up. So the best I can manage on composite from the MK board is the same as the UAV. I'm going to have to test Tower Toppler again with the composite adapter in place on the MK board to see if I'm mis-remembering about that being correct.

And yes it is surprising how many 7800s come to me for modifications that I discovered there is an issue with the player 2 port controls not working properly. Most people never realize because they must not have a 2nd player most of the time. Even my own 7800 had issues on the player 2 port for YEARS before I found out and that was only because of strange behavior when I first got my AVox+. Ended up being the RIOT as I recall that I had to swap out.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

In a word: Remarkable!

Received mine a few days ago. Cool packaging. Amazing graphics and sound. Fun gameplay (those "dark" caverns are frustrating).

I highly recommend a gamepad. I'm using a converted NES pad that I bought here from an AtariAge user and it makes the game play really nicely (sorta like an NES platformer, TBH).

Congratulations on making something so unexpected in terms of hardware and graphics and so fun in terms of gameplay.

Love this game. I don't think I will ever get through this game in one sitting, even with Dut Deposit unlimited chances, even with pause button. I'm not a "leave it on all night long" and only get chances to play an hour here an hour there a few times over the course of a week.

I know actual save function is prohibitive, requires NVRAM, but what about cheat codes that are revealed for each new level reached. You can put in the code from the main menu to jump back to that level? Was this an option? Could it be an option if there is ever a revised release?

Hey there!

I got mine a couple days ago and Wow, was like 1986 all over again opening up brand new 7800 game!

Production quality is top notch, not a single detail was missed in both the box, manual cart and the game its self!

10/10!

Main reason why i am posting is because I think I found a bug or I might have a bad copy, at first I thought it was my 7800 but this has happened now on 3 different systems and the chances all 3 are going bad is pretty small, Anyway after about a 20-30 min or so of game play button one becomes stuck on and Rikki and Vikki auto pick up blocks making the game impossible to play as one needs to pick up and place/drop blocks strategically to advance to the next level, I first saw this when I was halfway though the 2nd zone and trying to pass the level were you have to stack the blocks into a bridge over the spikes to get the key, every time I just walked up to a block it would auto pick up and no button press was needed, this would cause me to die as walking over the block bridge Rikki would just pick up the block automatically. No matter what block was around Rikki would just pick up as he got close enough. if I power cycle the game it will go back to normal were the player has to pick up the by pressing the button to pick up the blocks, but after a short time the issue would come back and Rikki would just auto pick up blocks when getting near them. I tried other 7800 games that utilize both buttons and those games are fine the buttons function as they should.

I have tried 3 7800 consoles, 3 controllers, 1 normal joystick and 2 of my euro 7800 nes style controllers.

Anyone else seen this?

Again, this game is top shelf and stunning, 11 year old jeremy would have had his mind blown if this was released in the systems shelf life, I saved up my allowance to by my 7800 and games back in the day, much love for this underdog system!

Edited by Shinju

And yes it is surprising how many 7800s come to me for modifications that I discovered there is an issue with the player 2 port controls not working properly. Most people never realize because they must not have a 2nd player most of the time. Even my own 7800 had issues on the player 2 port for YEARS before I found out and that was only because of strange behavior when I first got my AVox+. Ended up being the RIOT as I recall that I had to swap out.

It's surprising from the user level, but not electrically. There's basically no protection on any of the inputs.

I know actual save function is prohibitive, requires NVRAM, but what about cheat codes that are revealed for each new level reached. You can put in the code from the main menu to jump back to that level? Was this an option? Could it be an option if there is ever a revised release?

It wasn't the NVRAM being cost prohibitive that was the issue, but rather the game was never intended to have any sort of save or password functionality outside of the autosaving feature on the Windows version. So the version you have on hand only has around 2KB noncontiguous free space, we used everything available for content. If we were to use passwords they'd be awful long since the game needs to track certain play metrics and score.

It's a little early to think about a revised release since we're not even finished with this one. But I do not think this is something we can change.

Main reason why i am posting is because I think I found a bug or I might have a bad copy...after about a 20-30 min or so of game play button one becomes stuck on and Rikki and Vikki auto pick up blocks making the game impossible to play as one needs to pick up and place/drop blocks strategically to advance to the next level, I first saw this when I was halfway though the 2nd zone and trying to pass the level were you have to stack the blocks into a bridge over the spikes to get the key, every time I just walked up to a block it would auto pick up and no button press was needed, this would cause me to die as walking over the block bridge Rikki would just pick up the block automatically...I have tried 3 7800 consoles, 3 controllers, 1 normal joystick and 2 of my euro 7800 nes style controllers.

This sounds like one of your controller ports has its two-button inputs wandering high. If you're playing in single player mode, both controller ports can move your character so any "dirty" input on the second port could cause this behavior.

Since you have a few two-button controllers, try having two plugged in while you play (as in both controller ports occupied) and see if the issue persists.

• Like 1

It's surprising from the user level, but not electrically. There's basically no protection on any of the inputs.

It wasn't the NVRAM being cost prohibitive that was the issue, but rather the game was never intended to have any sort of save or password functionality outside of the autosaving feature on the Windows version. So the version you have on hand only has around 2KB noncontiguous free space, we used everything available for content. If we were to use passwords they'd be awful long since the game needs to track certain play metrics and score.

It's a little early to think about a revised release since we're not even finished with this one. But I do not think this is something we can change.

This sounds like one of your controller ports has its two-button inputs wandering high. If you're playing in single player mode, both controller ports can move your character so any "dirty" input on the second port could cause this behavior.

Since you have a few two-button controllers, try having two plugged in while you play (as in both controller ports occupied) and see if the issue persists.

Will do, when I hit this issue I only have one controller plugged in at any given time. I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks for responding, I know this old tech is grumpy and the 7800 is not immune to its own quirks :)

I'm impressed you sold 200 copies so quickly, I got copy 80, and I ordered it early the first morning it was available. Very impressive to sell that many units so quickly for an Atari 7800 Homebrew game. Mine was shipped on the the 21st and to to me (in Seattle) in only three days. This is probably the best selling Atari 7800 Homebrew.

Thanks for responding, I know this old tech is grumpy and the 7800 is not immune to its own quirks :)

No problem, here to help.

The two-button inputs getting spurious presses without a second controller attached makes sense - the pulldown resistors which indicate "no press" are in the controller rather than the console. But the only way I actually got the inputs to get stuck high like that was to insert a controller, hold both buttons, and then remove it. When playing with just a single controller attached they'd never wander up on their own. There is a way to work around this in the software, but I'd need to confirm it won't cause any other issues.

I've updated the first post to include a troubleshooting section, which covers verifying your cartridge's integrity and this ghost button issue.

I'm impressed you sold 200 copies so quickly, I got copy 80, and I ordered it early the first morning it was available. Very impressive to sell that many units so quickly for an Atari 7800 Homebrew game. Mine was shipped on the the 21st and to to me (in Seattle) in only three days. This is probably the best selling Atari 7800 Homebrew.

So far we're up to around 240 orders. I definitely didn't anticipate the quantity of them on release, took over a week to catch up with just the first day.

I was concerned for a bit that the Atari 7800 cartridges might actually outsell the Windows version.

• Like 1