Jump to content
TailChao

Rikki & Vikki

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, TailChao said:

No worries. Again, market failure is pretty much the default for an indie / low budget game.

 

I'll continue to develop new things, but cannot say what they'll be or when they'll happen at this moment. But there's still a few 7800 related things I'll release before closing up (BupSystem v0.9.6.1, ProSMS, Rikki & Vikki's Windows fall update, etc.).

That's depressing, I bought it immediately just to support the idea of it. I've not played it much as I have thousands of games to get through in my Steam library alone but I hate that games like this don't see more sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, TailChao said:

No worries. Again, market failure is pretty much the default for an indie / low budget game.

 

I'll continue to develop new things, but cannot say what they'll be or when they'll happen at this moment. But there's still a few 7800 related things I'll release before closing up (BupSystem v0.9.6.1, ProSMS, Rikki & Vikki's Windows fall update, etc.).

I hope that you continue to make 7800 games. It is easily in the top two of 7800 games.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I hope that you continue to make 7800 games. It is easily in the top two of 7800 games.

Just curious, what's your other top two game? So many great homebrews...

 

This game is really in it's own league but goes to show the 7800 equally capable of expansive games just like the nes was. And that 16-bit soundtrack: 🎶🎵🎶🎵

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Just curious, what's your other top two game? So many great homebrews...

 

This game is really in it's own league but goes to show the 7800 equally capable of expansive games just like the nes was. And that 16-bit soundtrack: 🎶🎵🎶🎵

Bently Bear. There are a bunch of great ones though. I pick it because it is a solid platformer and isn't an arcade game. While I love the great arcade versions this is the type of game the 7800 needed more of. Imo

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was happy to promote this game.  Definitely in my top 3 made for the console.  I cover Atari on my channel because I love it.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Bently Bear. There are a bunch of great ones though. I pick it because it is a solid platformer and isn't an arcade game. While I love the great arcade versions this is the type of game the 7800 needed more of. Imo

Awesome. I still remember doing a review on it not reading the instructions or knowing I had to set the switches correctly to utilize my two button controller... 🤦‍♀️

 

Ditto with Circus AtariAge. I did have an epic game of Donkry Kong though! 😅

 

 

Been working on self so much, there's little time for making videos.

 

I will do more video game reviews I'm ready. I might even do a double feature Baby Pacman and Rikki / Vikki. 😎🕹

 

Your resident gamer girl,

Alita! 👧

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the support, everyone.

 

As of writing, I'm temporarily postponing sales of the 7800 version of the game. This is to ensure I'll be able to deliver the Windows version's fall update before packing up, along with a few other things. If you've just ordered a copy, don't worry - your order will still ship out in the next few days. If you haven't ordered a copy yet, don't worry about that either - it'll be available for purchase again later in the year.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TailChao said:

...it'll be available for purchase again later in the year.

You'll let us know when?  

 

I'm tied up in several home projects and have been holding off picking up new items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

You'll let us know when?

Yep, this thread is the best way to keep up to date.

 

To be clear, though - even though I can't fund another game's production because of Rikki & Vikki's poor sales, this doesn't mean Rikki & Vikki is suddenly going to become a limited run. It is still my intention to produce copies as long as there's demand. But right now I need more time away from the product.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for more of these to come up. Waiting for SainT's flash cart but that only handles pokey so this is one I really need a cartridge for as buying a rom just wouldn't work on the original hardware.

Edited by Hastor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this today and it really screamed Rikki & Vikki to me for some reason. Anyone else get a feel that while different, seem very similar? Like Rollie & Lorrie might have been inspired by Rikki & Vikki? I see sooo much in common.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a stretch. I see more Sonic (the ball rolling mechanic) and Mario 3 (raccoon) in that game than R&V. Had the title been Rollie & Lorrie instead of just Rollie, plus puzzle solving elements and a co-op mode - maybe. :P   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm not seeing much in common aside from both games featuring two characters. Looks like Rollie is doing fairly well in backer support, though.

 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, Hastor said:

Can't wait for more of these to come up. Waiting for SainT's flash cart but that only handles pokey so this is one I really need a cartridge for as buying a rom just wouldn't work on the original hardware.

Everything is still on track for the remaining copies to go on sale before the end of the year, and as usual I'll try to make the wait worthwhile.

 

I've requested SainT increase the capacity of the 7800 SD's SRAM to a megabyte and add support for SOUPER - albeit without BupChip functionality. This would at least allow other developers to use the mapper in new software (and for you to run Rikki & Vikki from a binary, but without music).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, TailChao said:

Yep, this thread is the best way to keep up to date.

 

To be clear, though - even though I can't fund another game's production because of Rikki & Vikki's poor sales, this doesn't mean Rikki & Vikki is suddenly going to become a limited run. It is still my intention to produce copies as long as there's demand. But right now I need more time away from the product.

Perhaps AtariAge can handle some of the production if you do some win-win deals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, TailChao said:

Thanks for the support, everyone.

 

As of writing, I'm temporarily postponing sales of the 7800 version of the game. This is to ensure I'll be able to deliver the Windows version's fall update before packing up, along with a few other things. If you've just ordered a copy, don't worry - your order will still ship out in the next few days. If you haven't ordered a copy yet, don't worry about that either - it'll be available for purchase again later in the year.

Good to hear!

 

Your efforts are surely appreciated by retro- and atari-gamers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Giles N said:

Would like to see the 7800 version back in stock.

It'll be available again soon. The delay is to ensure the Windows version gets its promised fall update.

 

 

17 hours ago, Giles N said:

Perhaps AtariAge can handle some of the production if you do some win-win deals?

I'm not sure what you're proposing here. If you're suggesting AtariAge manufacture cartridges for us - this doesn't make sense as we already have the boards, plastics, and labels. If you mean that AtariAge could fund another game by PenguiNet - it's long past the deadline to start another project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TailChao said:

It'll be available again soon. The delay is to ensure the Windows version gets its promised fall update.

 

 

I'm not sure what you're proposing here. If you're suggesting AtariAge manufacture cartridges for us - this doesn't make sense as we already have the boards, plastics, and labels. If you mean that AtariAge could fund another game by PenguiNet - it's long past the deadline to start another project.

Ok, my questions are well answered here.

 

Good luck with both Windows and console-sales.

 

Looking forward to the 7800 version.

Edited by Giles N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rikki & Vikki for Windows v1.0.1.0 is now available.

 

This fall update is best enjoyed with an 8Bitdo M30 and the rich taste of Pumpkin Spice. If you bought the standalone version through our Humble Widget, you'll have to pull down the update manually. Don't forget to copy over Scores.sav and Snapshot.sav from your previous installation! Wow, look at all those uncomfortable joysticks we support!

 

Ah, wait - but this isn't a Windows forum. Which means there's also good news for Atari 7800 owners, the remaining cartridges will be available for purchase before the end of November.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Rikki & Vikki for Windows v1.0.1.0 is now available.

 

This fall update is best enjoyed with an 8Bitdo M30 and the rich taste of Pumpkin Spice. If you bought the standalone version through our Humble Widget, you'll have to pull down the update manually. Don't forget to copy over Scores.sav and Snapshot.sav from your previous installation! Wow, look at all those uncomfortable joysticks we support!

 

Ah, wait - but this isn't a Windows forum. Which means there's also good news for Atari 7800 owners, the remaining cartridges will be available for purchase before the end of November.

Awesome news! I'll finally be getting a chance to get a copy before Christmas this year lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Ah, wait - but this isn't a Windows forum. Which means there's also good news for Atari 7800 owners, the remaining cartridges will be available for purchase before the end of November.

Great news, looking forward to picking up a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, TailChao said:

Rikki & Vikki for Windows v1.0.1.0 is now available.

 

This fall update is best enjoyed with an 8Bitdo M30 and the rich taste of Pumpkin Spice. If you bought the standalone version through our Humble Widget, you'll have to pull down the update manually. Don't forget to copy over Scores.sav and Snapshot.sav from your previous installation! Wow, look at all those uncomfortable joysticks we support!

 

Ah, wait - but this isn't a Windows forum. Which means there's also good news for Atari 7800 owners, the remaining cartridges will be available for purchase before the end of November.

Okay. I am really old school. Never done an update on Steam before. I click on it and it takes me to a webpage where it asks for $9.99 to download Rikki and Vikki. Do I have to pay for the update? There is some download that says 0 bytes out of 0 bytes. I have played the Steam version on my computer countless times, so I do have some version.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Swami said:

Okay. I am really old school. Never done an update on Steam before...

No worries. If you've purchased the game through Steam the update process is automatic, usually occurring when you select and launch the game from your library. So there's nothing for you to do.

 

For owners of the standalone (Humble Bundle) version, a manual redownload and upgrade is recommended. Not upgrading either version won't cause any adverse effects, the game will always run - you just won't get any of the new features. You can check the current version in the "About" Dialog (Help -> About) or in HTML Help (F1).

 

Atari 7800 users don't have to deal with any of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TailChao said:

No worries. If you've purchased the game through Steam the update process is automatic, usually occurring when you select and launch the game from your library. So there's nothing for you to do.

 

For owners of the standalone (Humble Bundle) version, a manual redownload and upgrade is recommended. Not upgrading either version won't cause any adverse effects, the game will always run - you just won't get any of the new features. You can check the current version in the "About" Dialog (Help -> About) or in HTML Help (F1).

 

Atari 7800 users don't have to deal with any of this.

What are the new features?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

What are the new features?

Details for each update can be selected and read on this page:

 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/893690/allnews/#scrollTop=0

 

Screenshot posted below for convenience:

 

image.thumb.png.5236b85adf53baa2ef915253d0301fe5.png 

 

Most recent update 'blown-up' for additional convenience:

 

image.thumb.png.c5317226fb92c29e6938f7be536d71da.png

 

Misery The Inconvenient (AKA Misery Dragon) will NOT be pleased with what I have done. 😁

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...