Jump to content
TailChao

Rikki & Vikki

Recommended Posts

Quote

You're correct that it can't be played on a flashcart, but it can be played on Steam.  It's not like the game is inaccessible to anyone who wants to experience it; they just have to do it on a different platform.

The point is it can't be played on Atari 7800 without that cart. Which is the coolest part about it IMO.

 

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

@TailChao mentioned that future runs may be a possibility.  It's not just going to die off, especially with 551 copies spread across the globe

If it stops being made the highly specialized cart dies off over time in any meaningful sense for the majority of people as the practicality of obtaining a copy becomes less and less likely.

Maybe MiSTer can handle such hardware changes in a cart and things become preserved forever that way in a sense. Speeking of I really need to get a MiSTer at some point.

Edited by zezba9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zezba9000 said:

The point is it can't be played on Atari 7800. Which is the coolest part about it IMO.

 

Agreed.  And not everyone can drive a Ferrari, either.  I understand the point that you're making, but Steam means that it's a lot easier for people to find a practical way to play Rikki & Vikki.

 

Just now, zezba9000 said:

If it stops being made the highly specialized cart dies off over time in any meaningful sense for the majority of people as the practicality of obtaining a copy becomes less and less likely.

 

Given that Steam was a simultaneous release with the 7800 version, how is that any different than any other game that was released for multiple platforms at the same time?

 

As far as I can tell, your main complaint is basically that you didn't jump on it when (incredibly recently) the last 30 or 40 remaining cartridges were sold.  Having missed out for similar reasons in the past, all I can really say is that it sucks when that happens.  Perhaps you'll find a copy at a reasonable price in the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And not everyone can drive a Ferrari, either.

Ferrari's are still made. So if you have the money you can buy a Ferrari.

 

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

how is that any different than any other game that was released for multiple platforms at the same time?

The binary is different. The value is the technology. A Win32 binary isn't special.

Why does anyone still love their real retro hardware vs emulation? What it represents makes all the difference and is why a huge volume of people are even here I would imagine.

 

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

As far as I can tell, your main complaint is basically that you didn't jump on it

I don't have a complaint. I'm simply making a conceptual point. No reason to read what I said as negativity. For me its about the interest in preservation of cool technology.

I own the cart & bought it day one.

 

Here is my copy. Still smells new.

image.png.98dd29ff1c66b7835969780bf10b63fe.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zezba9000 said:

Ferrari's are still made. So if you have the money you can buy a Ferrari.

 

The binary is different. The value is the technology. A Win32 binary isn't special.

Why does anyone still love their real retro hardware vs emulation? What it represents makes all the difference and is why a huge volume of people are even here I would imagine.

 

I don't have a complaint. I'm simply making a conceptual point. No reason to read what I said as negativity. For me its about the interest in preservation of cool technology.

I own the cart & bought it day one.

 

Here is my copy. Still smells new.

image.png.98dd29ff1c66b7835969780bf10b63fe.png

 

So what is the point that you're making?  I've read what you've written, and as far as I can tell you have a copy much as I do.

 

You and I and 549 other people are preserving the game through ownership, and that's not counting anything that @TailChao may have done in that regard.

 

What do you ultimately want to see happen with regard to this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What do you ultimately want to see happen with regard to this game?

 

Perhaps he is offering to fund another run of it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CPUWIZ said:

 

Perhaps he is offering to fund another run of it?

 

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

So what is the point that you're making?

QUOTE: "Ferrari's are still made. So if you have the money you can buy a Ferrari."

-- Can't buy one of these carts if they're not for sale. I'm thinking about other people besides myself that have interest and share similar interests as me. I'm guessing there was more demand that copies.

 

8 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What do you ultimately want to see happen with regard to this game?

I'm not sure I have a huge "want" but a cool idea might be in the future allow a reproduction cart with the permission of the creators of the game. Which I'm sure 5-10 years from now wouldn't be out of the question. Or with the permission of the creators a MiSTer reproduction would be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zezba9000 said:

QUOTE: "Ferrari's are still made. So if you have the money you can buy a Ferrari."

-- Can't buy one of these carts if they're not for sale. I'm thinking about other people besides myself that have interest and share similar interests as me. I'm guessing there was more demand that copies.

 

Hard to say.  It took somewhere over 2 years (IIRC) to sell all of the copies that were made in the first run, so judging demand is diffcult since it really only seemed to crop up once it became clear that they were in short supply.

 

FWIW, I will absolutely admit to being someone who came in near the tail end of availability.  It's not that I was dragging ass or being indecisive re: a purchase; I just didn't have my 7800 in my possession when the game was released.  That alone kinda kills the buzz for buying new games no matter how good they are.

 

1 minute ago, zezba9000 said:

 

I'm not sure I have a huge "want" but a cool idea might be in the future allow a reproduction cart with the permission of the creators of the game. Which I'm sure 5-10 years from now wouldn't be out of the question. Or with the permission of the creators a MiSTer reproduction would be interesting.

 

Well...  As was mentioned before, Tailchao's said that a later run of cartridges isn't out of the question, but also not confirmed as going to happen.  Better to hang on for that if you want the real deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zezba9000 said:

Or not.

 

Bummer, would have been a good way for other people to get a copy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

 

WTF does this have do with 7800 games?

What does kickstarter have to do with gauging the value of doing another Rikki & Vikki production run?

(Please consider this question rhetorical) 

 

Edited by zezba9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zezba9000 said:

What does kickstarter have to do with gauging the value of doing another Rikki & Vikki production run?

(Please consider this question rhetorical) 

 

 

I'm considering this question nonsensical, because it makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

 

I'm considering this question nonsensical, because it makes no sense.

 

Essentially you could start up a kickstarter for a homebrew, setting the target fundraising goal to equal the number of copies you want to produce as your minimum number. If you don't get enough people pledging to meet that minimum order then the entire thing fails and nobody gets a copy - at least not directly from the kickstarter. If the number of people who pledged is close enough to what you originally wanted as a minimum then it would be possible to set up a normal pre-order with those people anyway.  In effect, you'd know how much interest is actually there for how many copies you would need to produce.  If you received a lot more than the minimum number of orders you wanted to do to make it worth the effort you'll at least know how many extra copies you need to produce to satisfy demand.

 

Just because a non-7800 game was used as an example it doesn't mean you can't use it the same way for a 7800 release.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed on the game forums everyone wants one ONLY when they are sold out. I will call this the Boulder Dash Theory. They had hundreds of people wanting the game. They made 250 copies took years to sell out and shortly after 50 people came out crying for the game to be made again.. many of the people never played the game cause they are only interested in that it could be rare and worth money. Must like the Star Wars Figures in a Package People.

I laugh when I see the unopened game.. they were made to be played. When your dead and gone they will go into the trash cause most everday normal people do not give 2 shits over an old game. 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jinks said:

 When your dead and gone they will go into the trash cause most everday normal people do not give 2 shits over an old game. 

 

Nowadays they do. Everyone is checking their (or inherited) stuff on the internet first before they throw it away. 20 years ago you could easily buy an Atari on the flea market for ridiculous low prices . Those days are gone forever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mord said:

 

Essentially you could start up a kickstarter for a homebrew, setting the target fundraising goal to equal the number of copies you want to produce as your minimum number. If you don't get enough people pledging to meet that minimum order then the entire thing fails and nobody gets a copy - at least not directly from the kickstarter. If the number of people who pledged is close enough to what you originally wanted as a minimum then it would be possible to set up a normal pre-order with those people anyway.  In effect, you'd know how much interest is actually there for how many copies you would need to produce.  If you received a lot more than the minimum number of orders you wanted to do to make it worth the effort you'll at least know how many extra copies you need to produce to satisfy demand.

 

Okay, now I see the point that was being made.  It really wasn't clear to me in the previous posts as to what the intent was.

 

8 hours ago, Mord said:

 

Just because a non-7800 game was used as an example it doesn't mean you can't use it the same way for a 7800 release.

 

 

Just like Fauxtari did for the 'new' VCS... 😜

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dutch Colecovision Fan said:

Nowadays they do. Everyone is checking their (or inherited) stuff on the internet first before they throw it away. 20 years ago you could easily buy an Atari on the flea market for ridiculous low prices . Those days are gone forever!

Not everyone's family. All my rare and expensive things I own will be thrown out due to lack of interest. I seen this happen already. Most will go in the dump. Or put outside to rot . I could have had 1000's of antiques(two homes full) but was all thrown out. 

You need people with interest and time to ebay something or whatever. Everyone I know has a 50 hour plus a week career so where is time for that. I have not talked to my fanily for 6 months in person. They are only 2 hours away. 

I think I will fix the burden issue and  burn everything when I get sick..like a Pharoah everything will die with me. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mord said:

 

Essentially you could start up a kickstarter for a homebrew, setting the target fundraising goal to equal the number of copies you want to produce as your minimum number. If you don't get enough people pledging to meet that minimum order then the entire thing fails and nobody gets a copy - at least not directly from the kickstarter. If the number of people who pledged is close enough to what you originally wanted as a minimum then it would be possible to set up a normal pre-order with those people anyway.  In effect, you'd know how much interest is actually there for how many copies you would need to produce.  If you received a lot more than the minimum number of orders you wanted to do to make it worth the effort you'll at least know how many extra copies you need to produce to satisfy demand.

 

Just because a non-7800 game was used as an example it doesn't mean you can't use it the same way for a 7800 release.

 

 

I'll say: "HardWork" + "Knight Rider" + "Kickstarter", would almost be worth a short film.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

 

I'll say: "HardWork" + "Knight Rider" + "Kickstarter", would almost be worth a short film.

Only if it was back in 88.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jinks said:

Only if it was back in 88.  

 

89, silly fella :P

 

(Unless you are trying to get in with a pre-order before the 89 xmas bike rush?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

 

89, silly fella :P

 

(Unless you are trying to get in with a pre-order before the 89 xmas bike rush?)

Thanks for fixing that...somehow did not sound right.. maybe we will be around long enough to see the return of hard work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...