Jump to content
TailChao

Rikki & Vikki

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

I'm in for a copy if there is another run!  Sorry to have missed this the first go around but cash was tight. 

If there will be batch 2; do get it, its top-notch.

 

Some of the finest music on the 7800 and artistic quality on grfx.

 

Smooth playability and many ways to clear levels.

 

Together with BBCQ, Ballblazer, Commando and Ninja Golf, its among the finest games for the 7800.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Giles N said:

@TailChao

Perhaps we could do a poll: how many would be interested in buying a copy from a second batch of 7800 Rikki and Vikki?

Me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odds of another run of R&V being made so soon after the first batch finally sold out is close to zero. If you guys have been reading along in this thread I doubt any of you would even have suggested such a thing (at least I hope not??). The user oakcitycomics has a few they are willing to sell so contacting them to buy a copy is a much more realistic avenue to get a copy. IIRC, a page or two back they said they had 3 extra copies left they would be willing to sell at $65 a pop.

 

If I see one more unaffiliated and unsolicited list on this forum I think I'm gonna puke. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shawn said:

If I see one more unaffiliated and unsolicited list on this forum I think I'm gonna puke. 

Please add me to that list 😜

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TailChao also said he was taking a break from the forums after the lot sold out, so there's no good reason to keep tagging him in posts about the game. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear, I hear.

 

Sorry folks.

 

- - -

Sometimes I write before I think things through from others’ perspectives.

 

In this case the producer.

 

Anyway, the game is good and if it can be obtained elsewhere, thats a good call for those who haven’t gotten hold of it.

 

Steam is also a good suggestion.

 

- - -

 

I really do not want to pester people.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, Shawn said:

The user oakcitycomics has a few they are willing to sell so contacting them to buy a copy is a much more realistic avenue to get a copy. IIRC, a page or two back they said they had 3 extra copies left they would be willing to sell at $65 a pop.

 

@2600 Forever

And it can be bougth on Steam too.

 

 

Edited by Giles N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shawn

I didn’t really give much thought to the time perspective when I thought about a poll; - it was more like whatever made everyone happy as to business and gaming; 3 years, 5 years, decades...

 

Anyhow, the suggestion to obtain from private sellers or get/support it on Steam was a good call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Giles N said:

@Shawn

I didn’t really give much thought to the time perspective when I thought about a poll; - it was more like whatever made everyone happy as to business and gaming; 3 years, 5 years, decades...

 

Anyhow, the suggestion to obtain from private sellers or get/support it on Steam was a good call.

 

It has just came up a lot recently with people saying what others should do with their programming time, products they sell and projects they build. Not harping on or at you directly at all. It's just a lot to take in seeing so many posts of that nature spammed on the forum. In various cases it has\can bury, drown out or disrupt many informative threads and postings. With any luck it will stop and things will go back to our regularly scheduled programming sooner than later. :)

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 12:42 AM, gilsaluki said:

I got one of the last carts several weeks ago.  I guess I should try it. 

It’s worth just for the atmospheric music and artistic use of the 7800-capabilities...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, Shawn said:

The odds of another run of R&V being made so soon after the first batch finally sold out is close to zero. If you guys have been reading along in this thread I doubt any of you would even have suggested such a thing (at least I hope not??). The user oakcitycomics has a few they are willing to sell so contacting them to buy a copy is a much more realistic avenue to get a copy. IIRC, a page or two back they said they had 3 extra copies left they would be willing to sell at $65 a pop.

 

If I see one more unaffiliated and unsolicited list on this forum I think I'm gonna puke. 

Well I did and oakcitycomics never responded. In fact, never read my PM. If you visit the website penguinet they mention that additional copies will be manufactured to satisfy demand. I hope they do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hastor said:

Maybe being out of stock is just what the game needed to bring attention to people wanting it badly again lol.

Scarcity sells. In this case, it's also a genuinely good game, maybe even the best game on the platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Scarcity sells. In this case, it's also a genuinely good game, maybe even the best game on the platform.

Indeed, I also think once SainT releases his 7800 GD more people will start checking out 7800, realize they can't play this on a flash cart, and start looking for it. Honestly, I picked up my current 7800 long ago when he hinted at early stages of working on it, which is also what led me to find this was a game that wouldn't be supported, and ultimately why I found out about it. Of course I'd want to pay for a ROM even if it did work on a flash cart, but knowing the real cart is the only option on a real system does make it extra special. Even those thinking "I'll just wait for a flash cart for all the games" will suddenly realize they can't play one of the best games on it, and the most unique one as far as sound for sure (among other things).

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would more people be interested in the 7800 after saint makes a multicart?

The other two multicarts available right now are not enough? Maybe there are people that just follow flash cart developers and only play the systems they make carts for?? Must be a millennial thing that I will never understand.. :(

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Why would more people be interested in the 7800 after saint makes a multicart?

The other two multicarts available right now are not enough? Maybe there are people that just follow flash cart developers and only play the systems they make carts for?? Must be a millennial thing that I will never understand.. :(

 

As of last I checked, on the forums here, there was no currently available flash solution. I wasn't around for the others I guess, but was following SainT for his other carts. I also wasn't aware of any capable of Pokey sound, which SainT's will be able to do. Any with the same level of support would be fine with me, though I like to support SainT as his products have been good. If there is one I can currently order, please point me to it. I'd still get SainT's if I got another, but do want at least Pokey support.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, I really only come here when I get a notif on a topic I've been watching for a while. Been a while since I just browsed the forums in general. I did google 7800 flash cart, and the first result was from these forums, only about a year old, saying there wasn't a current flash solution.

Thanks, I'll check those out!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've been a bit "checked out" from the community, but always maintained my classic game interest.

 

True story:

I watch a lot of YouTube on my Amazon FireTV while sprawled on the couch at night.  A couple nights ago, I fell asleep watching a chain of longplay videos.  The last one I remembered seeing before slipping out of consciousness was Bentley Bear.  The hypnotic music and smooth parallax eye-candy pushed me through the threshold into dreamland.  At some point, I found myself in that in-between state of dream and lucidity and started hearing what can only be described as magical music.  I started seeing this fantastic vision of animated foxes darting about.  Occasionally, the screen would twist and invert, and a large rotund fellow would appear.   The gameplay reminded me of Solomon's Key, a game I loved for years. 

 

Was I still asleep?  I honestly wasn't sure.  This wasn't a game I had ever seen before.  It said Atari 7800 on the screen, but my brain just couldn't reconcile the sights and sounds with what I knew about the 7800.  It was the confusion that forced my brain to confront the reality before me and lurch from twilight into a state of total consciousness (accidental Caddy Shack reference).

 

I leapt directly from the sofa to my computer chair in what must have been a single bound.  I looked up in the internet sky for more information about this game.  I wasn't sure about the name or the spelling.  It took a few frantic search variations to find this thread.  It was true!  I couldn't believe it.  I clicked the link in the first post, only to find the game was sold out. 

 

Over the past couple days, I've worked through all 56 pages of this thread.  I can't believe how close I came to finding out about the game in time.  So very close.  I really need to spend a night or two a week back here in the community.  2 years of ignorance?  I am disappointed in myself.

 

 

 

TLDR--  Please count me in for a possible distant future second batch.

 

In the meantime I have purchased:

- 2 new 7800 control pads from RetroGameBoyz  (I already have two 7800's, including one NIB).

- The Windows version from Humble Bundle at full price

 

I want the game cartridge bad enough to look for a reasonable priced reseller.   I will also PM some from this thread who indicated they had "extra" carts, though I fear I am too late for that also.

 

It's also tipping point to start buying all the newer 7800 titles in the standalone cart version.  I was perpetually waiting for the XM to ship before purchasing the XM version of the carts, but I think it's time to just give in and buy the standalones.  

 

Bottom line:  Wow!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, MattelAquarius said:

So, I've been a bit "checked out" from the community, but always maintained my classic game interest.

 

True story:

I watch a lot of YouTube on my Amazon FireTV while sprawled on the couch at night.  A couple nights ago, I fell asleep watching a chain of longplay videos.  The last one I remembered seeing before slipping out of consciousness was Bentley Bear.  The hypnotic music and smooth parallax eye-candy pushed me through the threshold into dreamland.  At some point, I found myself in that in-between state of dream and lucidity and started hearing what can only be described as magical music.  I started seeing this fantastic vision of animated foxes darting about.  Occasionally, the screen would twist and invert, and a large rotund fellow would appear.   The gameplay reminded me of Solomon's Key, a game I loved for years. 

 

Was I still asleep?  I honestly wasn't sure.  This wasn't a game I had ever seen before.  It said Atari 7800 on the screen, but my brain just couldn't reconcile the sights and sounds with what I knew about the 7800.  It was the confusion that forced my brain to confront the reality before me and lurch from twilight into a state of total consciousness (accidental Caddy Shack reference).

 

I leapt directly from the sofa to my computer chair in what must have been a single bound.  I looked up in the internet sky for more information about this game.  I wasn't sure about the name or the spelling.  It took a few frantic search variations to find this thread.  It was true!  I couldn't believe it.  I clicked the link in the first post, only to find the game was sold out. 

 

Over the past couple days, I've worked through all 56 pages of this thread.  I can't believe how close I came to finding out about the game in time.  So very close.  I really need to spend a night or two a week back here in the community.  2 years of ignorance?  I am disappointed in myself.

 

 

 

TLDR--  Please count me in for a possible distant future second batch.

 

In the meantime I have purchased:

- 2 new 7800 control pads from RetroGameBoyz  (I already have two 7800's, including one NIB).

- The Windows version from Humble Bundle at full price

 

I want the game cartridge bad enough to look for a reasonable priced reseller.   I will also PM some from this thread who indicated they had "extra" carts, though I fear I am too late for that also.

 

It's also tipping point to start buying all the newer 7800 titles in the standalone cart version.  I was perpetually waiting for the XM to ship before purchasing the XM version of the carts, but I think it's time to just give in and buy the standalones.  

 

Bottom line:  Wow!

A french guy at ebay sells it c. 160$ (and you must include import charges in addition).

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rikki-Vikki-Atari-7800/233454635498?hash=item365afb09ea:g:PCAAAOSw5wVdrIYk

 

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...