IGNORED

Idea:External Atari ST drive transformed to 8-bit (XF551 internals)

manterola

I struck out with another 551/314 PCB. If there is anyone out there that is really good and confident about populating a 551 PCB, I would be willing to trade some materials for a finished board. I send you two PCBs, all of the parts required to populate the PCB, a working 3.5 drive and a SF354 case. Then when you finish, you just send me one of the PCBs

• 2 weeks later...

I think the oscillators may be bad on the last two boards that I populated.  I have a multimeter with a frequency tester and I don't get 8.0 when I check the pins but I am not sure if I am checking them correctly.  I have tested the meter on the 2 pin crystals on a 800XL board and I get the correct reading.  I am not sure which pins I check on the 4 pin crystals on the 314/354 boards.  Can anyone enlighten me?  I have googled and did not find any info about testing 4 pin crystals.

image.png.660c4133de791af669268dcb27fc7c73.png

I remember I check the oscillator functioning by measuring both the AC and DC voltages (with respect to ground) with a regular multi-tester. The output pin is the one located at the opposite of the sharp corner. I remember that the good one oscillator has both AC and DC voltages different (and far) from zero. I needed to do that since my multi-tester has frequency measurement by not up to 8MHz.

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Yep, that's the one I had. Worked well for what it was, though I recall it was a bit on the slow side.

Something in my mind is suggesting that there may have been a DIY version out earlier, but I could be confusing that with the speech synth (also connected to the joystick ports) that I built from an article in Atari User.

Out of curiosity, did it work the other way around also ?
As in you run a cross assembler on the Atari ST , and send the compiled versions over to the 8 bit via this interface ?

Found the Page6 software and loaded it http://www.page6.org/pd_lib/page6/pd_tari-talk.htm
Looks like it's only from the 8bit towards the ST , would have been nice the other way around.

IMG_5437.thumb.JPG.252f7523c3f3003c105378b9aab78c1b.JPG

Atari 1040STe

IMG_5438.thumb.JPG.440e1adbf34878091d3a969db9694414.JPG

Will have a look around if I can find details on a DIY version, got 2 beyond repair joysticks and a MIDI connector so would need to add cables .

8 bit joystick ports connected to MIDI , sounds like the MidiJoy :) 

Edited by Lastic

• 1 month later...

Hi 2 Everyone,

i just wanted to post the status of my SF551 drive here.

So. My SF551 is finally finished today, would have been finished much earlier if I had the time. Well. Is completely recognized, so far I have only experimented with MyDOS and BiBo-DOS, in MyDOS I also have the 720KB, not in BiBo-DOS (which is clear, does not know two-sided drives).

After I realized that NO SF-Drive really fits 100% like this, I simply soldered the power connection and the data connection to the drive, fits the "micromilimeter" exactly ? I really like it everything, the design fits in well with my favorite ATARI-8-BITter (130XE), and even the "offspring" need not shy away from the comparison with the XF551.

I probably wanted to install the second board with an ST drive directly in one of my two XEGS, there also with a track display in the front of the XEGS, of course here again one from the SF314 series is "misused" ...

Thanks again to you who helped me with your photos to see where my mistake was. And thanks to DropCheck and tfhh and the other participants for this brilliant board.

SF551 - Front.jpg

SF551 - Back.jpg

• Like 8

I don't know how you made the pcb fit into a Taiwanese version of the drive case. Congrats for the achievement! 

Also congrats for the label, I need to do something like that with mine. 

I am very surprised by the drive select hole you did to the original case, as well. It looks very pro, and it seems like original. 

To fit in the PCB wasn't the problem. The problem is more likely to be found in the drive as such because the PCB is a little too big. However, if you unsolder the power connector and the data connector (header strips) and directly solder the cable, it currently fits 3 different housings with 3 different drives. I wanted to install the days temporarily for fun in another case with the drive, as it is also in a 1040STE, to see if it was also "easy".

But since i want to install the whole thing in the XEGS afterwards, i'll see if I can still wait with the XEGS until DropCheck has finished the internal version for the XE.

The hole in the back wasn't really a problem. Simply drill to the corners and then file into the center with a round file, then file out the longitudinal surfaces and then deburr.

Mine is Japanese with three screws to hold the mech, and the fit is perfect and easy, by the way. 

So if put your hands on a working sf314 or sf354 (360kb maximum, only) with 3 screws the conversion to 8 bits is very very straight forward: basically replacing the pcb. 

I did not about the XE internal version Dropcheck is working on. 

By the way I have a couple of 5.25 mechs panasonic brand I would like to use to create a couple of xf551 clones, using sf551 pcb, but I am struggling to get a good floppy case, I was thinking in getting some external 5.25 cdrom, and reuse the enclosure, or getting an IBM 4869 drive or old Macintosh drives. I haven't been able to get something good and cheap to use as good enclosure. But that might be part of another topic. 

On 4/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, dash_rendar said:

Hi 2 Everyone,

i just wanted to post the status of my SF551 drive here.

So. My SF551 is finally finished today, would have been finished much earlier if I had the time. Well. Is completely recognized, so far I have only experimented with MyDOS and BiBo-DOS, in MyDOS I also have the 720KB, not in BiBo-DOS (which is clear, does not know two-sided drives).

Well,

Bibo-DOS 6.4XF does know two-sided drives, the XF551 with DSDD/40 tracks, so you can use Bibo-DOS with 360k max.  Turbo-DOS and SuperDOS also work with 360k max. For 720k (DSDD/80 tracks) you can try MyDOS, SpartaDOS, RealDOS, BeweDOS (formatting with Sparta, then copying Bewe-DOS onto the disk), LiteDOS 2.x and 3.x and maybe a few others. Have not checked if TopDOS (1.5, 1.5+, 1.5 Prof.) or DOS XE can do 720k since I never use them, find out yourself. Think DOS 4 is max. 360k, but also belongs to the DOS versions I never use...

10 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

Bibo-DOS 6.4XF does know two-sided drives, the XF551 with DSDD/40 tracks, so you can use Bibo-DOS with 360k max.  Turbo-DOS and SuperDOS also work with 360k max. For 720k (DSDD/80 tracks) you can try MyDOS, SpartaDOS, RealDOS, BeweDOS (formatting with Sparta, then copying Bewe-DOS onto the disk), LiteDOS 2.x and 3.x and maybe a few others. Have not checked if TopDOS (1.5, 1.5+, 1.5 Prof.) or DOS XE can do 720k since I never use them, find out yourself. Think DOS 4 is max. 360k, but also belongs to the DOS versions I never use...

Is there any table (sticky, wiki) showing max disk size various DOS types?

I am DOS2.5 user and if I understand it correctly, there is no point for me to want better drive than my stock 1050?

On 5/2/2020 at 1:50 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

Ah superb. BiBo-DOS would functionizing? Perfect for the first.

MyDOS also works, I've tested that, but only at normal speed. SpartaDOS loads, but I have to read the instructions with the parameters, how to set the format and I don't have SpartaDOS X.

The question is also whether I now have to write a new copy program (not text-based) which offers me the options to simply copy entire floppy disks such as the "HSS from BiBo". And then again I have the problem that he can no longer copy the diskette in one go ;-)

I will also ask the colleagues from the C = forum how they solved this problem, other "boxes" but also 8-BIT ;-)

9 hours ago, dash_rendar said:

Hmmm. i can't find BiBo-DOS 6.4 XF. The image from a A***C-Forum-Link to 6.4xf results to... look the attachment :

So, where could i find a BiBo-DOS 6.4 XF or any other BiBo-DOS which could handle double_sided-Disks (in this case : my SF551) ?!?

bibo.jpg

Alright,

the version I was referring to is Bibo DOS 6.4RF (not 6.4XF). Where did you find the version 6.4RN ?!?

Find attached the Bibo DOS masterdisk with which you can create version 6.4RF for the XF551 (max. 360k and afaik, the 360k format uses no sector/filelinks in Bibo DOS). Oh errm, the DOS uses german language, but most menu commands are the same as in DOS 2.5.

BiboDOS.zip

Find attached...

- some DOS versions that do 360k (also known as DS/DD, 40 tracks);

- some DOS versions that do 720k (DS/DD, 80 tracks); they also do 360k;

- some sectorcopy programs for 130k, 180k, 360k, 720k;

Now you only have to find out how these programs work  ;-)

Expect a lot of trial and error (and several error messages with your XF-compatible 3,5" drive)...

DOS_360.zip DOS_720k.zip Sectcopy.zip

• Like 4

Hello dash_rendar

MyDOS has a built in sector copier.  Use option "J", then something like "1,2(1-1040)" or "Source,Destination(first sector to be copied, last sector to be copied)".  Add a "/N" to prevent MyDOS from formatting the destination.

Sincerely

Mathy

On 5/3/2020 at 11:31 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Where did you find the version 6.4RN ?!?

In the ABBUC-Forum (Inside a Posting)

On 5/3/2020 at 11:54 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Now you only have to find out how these programs work  ;-)

Expect a lot of trial and error (and several error messages with your XF-compatible 3,5" drive)...

Thank You CharlieChaplin ?

Edited by dash_rendar
don't want to making multiple answers in diffs

• 2 months later...