IGNORED

New desktop arcade controllers

Curt Vendel

On my edladdin Colecovision arcade controller I have a bottom switching stick . Granted the case is metal so I am not sure you could do anything like this with just any kind of plastic . But this is a super easy way to switch from 4 way to 8 way . This is the bottom side of the controller . One could probably just cut a bigger hole with a hole saw since it is on the bottom but I wanted it cut this way .

post-30396-0-69884800-1546233825_thumb.jpg

On my edladdin Colecovision arcade controller I have a bottom switching stick . Granted the case is metal so I am not sure you could do anything like this with just any kind of plastic . But this is a super easy way to switch from 4 way to 8 way . This is the bottom side of the controller . One could probably just cut a bigger hole with a hole saw since it is on the bottom but I wanted it cut this way .

I've seen this before. Is this a custom mod to the gate itself or is there a gate that is sold with the lever (or are you sticking your finger in there and moving the gate by putting your finger on the gate itself. I can see how that might work with a Seimitsu Mad-Catz type gate.)

I've seen this before. Is this a custom mod to the gate itself or is there a gate that is sold with the lever (or are you sticking your finger in there and moving the gate by putting your finger on the gate itself. I can see how that might work with a Seimitsu Mad-Catz type gate.)

Yeah I showed this before on another thread . I got the smooth joy stick version . See the knob on the bottom , I am able to grab that through the slot cut out .

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=383

• Like 1

This is the restrictor gate in the arcade controller that you sent me. It is octagonal. It cannot be switched between 4and 8 way.

I noticed you live in the Twin Cities too, so if you need a 4-way/8-way square gate and happen to find yourself in Saint Paul (right around the Dale St. exit off I-94) I can just give ya one. I always swap them out for octagonal gates in all my sticks so I've got a bunch of them laying around. Just shoot me a PM if you'd like one. :)

UFgtgEV.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about ordering a couple of these. Question though, that I don't see mentioned here already -- photos for the Left Hand version has the screws on top, but the Right Hand version seems to have them all countersunk/hidden. Is the left version hidden as well, and that's simply an earlier photo, by chance, or are the screws on top still?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You're new here, right?

Atari Age is not Amazon.

Curt Vendel is not Amazon.

I am sure Curt will chime in with an update.

I thought it would be here in 2 days with free shipping! At day 4 I started to worry but didn't want to deal with the AtariAge customer service department. I forgot about it and just realized that it has been over a month! So I figure I'd come here and figure out what the deal was.

I get it. This isn't my first rodeo. I have a lot of money tied up in things like this. I'm just trying to see if I'm in the waiting for months, quarters, or years category. I think Curt is a big boy and can defend himself from my awful question. Thanks for your input though. I hope to one day be as experienced as you. I look forward to getting my "Scare Away 100 Newbs" badge.

• Like 1

Hi,

Can you please either email the support link on the site or PM me, since I don't know the name associated with the screen name please. If you ordered in December, it probably got delayed till Jan 2nd becuase of the holidays, but then when as order comes in its 7 days form the the order to build the controller and then ship out, so lets check and make sure your order shipped or not, please email or PM, thanks.

How long do orders generally take? I have an order in from late December.

Not complaining. Just curious.

Thinking about ordering a couple of these. Question though, that I don't see mentioned here already -- photos for the Left Hand version has the screws on top, but the Right Hand version seems to have them all countersunk/hidden. Is the left version hidden as well, and that's simply an earlier photo, by chance, or are the screws on top still?

Thanks!

Hi,

I need to update the left hand photos - no controllers have any screws shown, they are all counter sinked into the aluminum and are under the top graphic, so nothing is on top.

You're new here, right?

Atari Age is not Amazon.

Curt Vendel is not Amazon.

I am sure Curt will chime in with an update.

Well, new or not, he's just asking a question and thats totally fine. I'd like to make certain his order was shipped or if its lost, then I need to get him another out, I'm sure now that I responded he'll pm me or email me.

But it is true, I'm just a hobbyist and I don't have an army of robots to sort and box like Amazon, not for a lack of wanting a robot army, but I only have 2 topo robots and then don't have arms, so..... ;-)

• Like 4

I thought it would be here in 2 days with free shipping! At day 4 I started to worry but didn't want to deal with the AtariAge customer service department. I forgot about it and just realized that it has been over a month! So I figure I'd come here and figure out what the deal was.

I get it. This isn't my first rodeo. I have a lot of money tied up in things like this. I'm just trying to see if I'm in the waiting for months, quarters, or years category. I think Curt is a big boy and can defend himself from my awful question. Thanks for your input though. I hope to one day be as experienced as you. I look forward to getting my "Scare Away 100 Newbs" badge.

Hi,

Well, I did doublecheck all arcade product pages and also the shipping page and the order processing page all clearly show that it takes 7 days to build an order and if an order came in the 3rd week of Dec notices all went out that I was closed Dec 22nd to Jan 2 for the holidays, but a month is totally not acceptable so as soon as I hear from you directly, we can check your order info and get the bottom of things, I have 2 controller orders shipping tomorrow, 2 the next day and a 2 pc single order going out the day after, so if something is amiss, I'll make sure your order is put in with one of those and get things straightened out for you.

• Like 2

Okay, I had a good long play with my controller earlier today and thought I would put my thoughts out there for others.

I'm a right handed person, however, I've always been used to arcade style controllers and thus I ordered the left handed version controller. In fact, the exact left handed controller that was sent to me is the one that Curt posted in the pics above.

Control wise it feels really good and everything responded exactly as I needed it to. It is a bit more clicky than I would like in that it is loud when using it. Same for the buttons and I've been toying with the idea of perhaps putting leaf switch versions into mine.

Speaking of the buttons, they feel nice but are reversed on mine. That is when using the 7800 diagnostic Utility in the Joystick test, Button 1 on the left is actually button 2 on my controller and vice versa. So it could be awkward to use if you are used to the buttons being mapped differently. I might change these at a later time to match what I'm more used to.

The paddle controller works well or at least it did for the game of Steeplechase I was testing it with. On mine the On position is actually 7800 controller mode and the off position is Paddle mode. But I did find it odd that when using the Joystick test in the Diag utility, that the paddle has ZERO response on the other inputs variables and I'm used to see number values move across when using standard paddles in the ports for testing before. But the paddle does indeed work.

Also an odd quirk to be aware of if you should get one of these, is that on mine at least, it doesn't matter which position the switch is in, but if you move the paddle to the far right, it will always activate button 2. So in the game Commando for instance, if I had the paddle all the way to the right, then I would tossing grenades constantly one after the other until they were depleted. So if you find odd button 2 behavior, you might check that you haven't moved the paddle knob all the way clockwise.

I've included some pics of my controller in this post and of the inside so those asking about the circuit on how the switch controls the paddle lines..etc could have a better idea on how that is being done.

post-6-0-02430900-1549857183_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-36964400-1549857195_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-94891000-1549857206_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-28202000-1549857224_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-84000200-1549857237_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-80525800-1549857247_thumb.jpg

• Like 2