IGNORED

BupSystem

TailChao

• 1 month later...

BupSystem 0.9.6.4 is on its way for next month, as usual the changelist is in the first post. This will also include a JoyFish update, so if you have any controllers which aren't on this list or (more importantly) aren't working correctly let me know.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:27 PM, Cyprian said:

I've just found that a nice emulator.

Would be possible to add an option for screen scan-lines?

It's possible in terms of what the render path supports, but not with my current schedule. I apologize that this is also going to be my answer to most requests...

On 12/17/2020 at 6:31 PM, Cyprian said:

And also would be cool to have build in debugger.

I agree :) - something like NO$SNS or BGB's environment is kinda what I wanted, especially the latter where it's easy to use but has rich debugging features if you'd like to prod at what's under the hood. Unfortunately it's going to be boring stability and polishing for a long while rather than cool new features.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, Atari Nut said:

Is there a command-line argument to launch in full screen?

Not right now, I'm guessing this is because you want to use the program with a launcher? There will be an *.ini parameter available in the next update which will force a full screen launch, but I can't rewrite the parser at the moment.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TailChao said:

BupSystem 0.9.6.4 is on its way for next month, as usual the changelist is in the first post. This will also include a JoyFish update, so if you have any controllers which aren't on this list or (more importantly) aren't working correctly let me know.

Looking forward to this!  I'm using a generic 3rd party ps2 controller and that works fine, but it doesn't let me configure anything.  I just got a 2600-dapter II and I think it shows up as controller 2, but everything is grayed out and it doesn't let me reconfigure.  IIRC I was able to do this with a previous 9 pin->USB adapter, but that had other issues.  Sorry, I don't have a lot of details right now, I'll have to test more tonight.

4 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I'm using a generic 3rd party ps2 controller and that works fine, but it doesn't let me configure anything.  I just got a 2600-dapter II and I think it shows up as controller 2, but everything is grayed out and it doesn't let me reconfigure.  IIRC I was able to do this with a previous 9 pin->USB adapter, but that had other issues.  Sorry, I don't have a lot of details right now, I'll have to test more tonight.

This is a common issue with DualShock and DualSense style controllers. Specifically the axes used for L2 and R2 will idle at (some large negative value) rather than zero, so these require special handling in the software. Luckily, I wrote a guide covering how to submit controller profiles! If that's too confusing, tell me where you found the thing and I'll figure out if we can support it.

For everyone else - the cutoff for submitting new controllers is May 1, 2021.

3 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

This is my favorite 7800 emulator.  Works great, seems very accurate and it's very easy to use.  Wish there was a MacOS version and/or open-source, but that neither of those are deal breakers.

Hey, thanks!

Trust me - I wanted a Mac version but fruit maintenance is a lot of work. If the source is ever released it'll be under zlib, it's kept closed for now to make maintenance easier for me (and because it's attached to some libraries I'd prefer to stay closed).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TailChao said:

Not right now, I'm guessing this is because you want to use the program with a launcher? There will be an *.ini parameter available in the next update which will force a full screen launch, but I can't rewrite the parser at the moment.

Yes, I am using Attract-Mode.  An .ini parameter would be fine.  I also will use a 2600-daptor II with official Atari joysticks...either the 2600 or 7800 joystick.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, splendidnut said:

This is my favorite 7800 emulator.  Works great, seems very accurate and it's very easy to use.  Wish there was a MacOS version and/or open-source, but that neither of those are deal breakers.

I have ran Bupsystem on MacOS through Wineskin and it works fine. Folder management is a bit wonky but like I said, it works.

Edited by Bakasama
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TailChao said:

This is a common issue with DualShock and DualSense style controllers. Specifically the axes used for L2 and R2 will idle at (some large negative value) rather than zero, so these require special handling in the software. Luckily, I wrote a guide covering how to submit controller profiles! If that's too confusing, tell me where you found the thing and I'll figure out if we can support it.

For everyone else - the cutoff for submitting new controllers is May 1, 2021.

Thanks @TailChao.  I'm using BupSystem v0.9.6.3.  I can't seem to configure anything in the input dialog, and reading through the docs I'm not sure what, if anything, I should be adding to BupSystem.joy.  I don't know if this is helpful but I figured I'd share what's happening:

Scanning devices (ctrl-D) shows both (my generic ps2 (default) and 2600-dapter II):

261554517_devicehistory.JPG.fc863c6c4535f7c16334807fc1731678.JPG

Scanning shows them both:

198016296_controllerscan.thumb.JPG.38aed3fbb44ac6aca16f5f43c5e2ce01.JPG

Clicking "set player" for either 1 or 2 highlights "Up" but it doesn't let me actually change.  I have to close the dialog box to continue:

33449477_setplayer1.JPG.b774699a303ee0ce4c52f734c659ff66.JPG

FWIW, windows device dialog detects it fine, and it works in MAME, Steam, etc:

2104762710_controlpaneldevices.thumb.JPG.bbcac4171ad8f497ade9e48677a55fe8.JPG

Edited by BydoEmpire

3 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Thanks @TailChao.  I'm using BupSystem v0.9.6.3.  I can't seem to configure anything in the input dialog, and reading through the docs I'm not sure what, if anything, I should be adding to BupSystem.joy.  I don't know if this is helpful but I figured I'd share what's happening...

Okay, this is a good start. Don't worry about modifying BupSystem.joy, that just contains the list of automapping configurations for known controllers - we need to first add your adapter to an internal database.

If you can send (or post) a copy of the BupSystem.jdl file (which has info about the device) and a photo of the adapter that'd be great. Bonus points if you can remember where you bought it. The info you gave seems to match the EAXUS PlayStation / USB Adapter but all these manufacturers tend to rip each other off.

Also, just to confirm - if you unplug only the PlayStation adapter does the 2600-dapter II allow you to modify the controls and works okay?

Edited by TailChao

12 hours ago, TailChao said:

Okay, this is a good start. Don't worry about modifying BupSystem.joy, that just contains the list of automapping configurations for known controllers - we need to first add your adapter to an internal database.

If you can send (or post) a copy of the BupSystem.jdl file (which has info about the device) and a photo of the adapter that'd be great. Bonus points if you can remember where you bought it. The info you gave seems to match the EAXUS PlayStation / USB Adapter but all these manufacturers tend to rip each other off.

Also, just to confirm - if you unplug only the PlayStation adapter does the 2600-dapter II allow you to modify the controls and works okay?

I make the 2600-daptors.  Happy to assist emulator developers in adding support for them.  Probably best to message me directly.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TailChao said:

I don't see the .jdl file anywhere in the BupSystem folder, just the .joy file.  Is the jdl stored somewhere else?

2 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I don't see the .jdl file anywhere in the BupSystem folder, just the .joy file.  Is the jdl stored somewhere else?

It should be stored in the same folder, but no worries if you can't find it. The photos you gave are already enough to blacklist the PlayStation / USB Adapter.

So what'd be most helpful is...

• A screenshot of the PlayStation / USB Adapter's joystick test panel (see mapping on how to open it) preferably while you're not pushing any buttons or moving the joysticks.
  • A photo of the PlayStation / USB adapter itself.

3 hours ago, dualcam said:

I make the 2600-daptors.  Happy to assist emulator developers in adding support for them.  Probably best to message me directly.

Done.

5 hours ago, TailChao said:

It should be stored in the same folder, but no worries if you can't find it. The photos you gave are already enough to blacklist the PlayStation / USB Adapter.

So what'd be most helpful is...

• A screenshot of the PlayStation / USB Adapter's joystick test panel (see mapping on how to open it) preferably while you're not pushing any buttons or moving the joysticks.
  • A photo of the PlayStation / USB adapter itself.

Done.

The generic ps2 controller works fine, it's the 2600-dapter II (9-pin to USB) that isn't recognized.

Unplugging the generic ps2 controller and rescanning (with only the 2600-dapter II plugged in) gives this, which I'm not able to configure. It's basically suck on that page as if the 2600-dapter II isn't recognized.

1930758728_removedps2rescan.JPG.614fc0da50031d38a4c3ff84571ac655.JPG

The Windows control panel Game Controller properties works fine for both controllers.

image.png.1fadc188e07883b4c13fe11b634981da.png

Generic ps2:

image.png.ab81a5286dce0d257acd41fa07fc2b21.png

2600-dapter II:

image.png.864184a6db0c243566dc3b4601823580.png

Here's a pic of the 2600-dapter II (same as on the site @dualcam shared)

unnamed.thumb.jpg.cd347a581fb0b492bf918f9512f0f1fa.jpg

Here's a link to the generic ps2 controller I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121100701093

Hope that helps!

Edited by BydoEmpire

17 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Thanks to @BydoEmpire and @dualcam's help, support for CX-40 and ProLine controllers using the 2600-daptor, 2600-daptor II, and 2600-daptor D9 will be included in the next version of BupSystem (and Wataroo, and Rikki & Vikki for Windows).

Authentic PainLine wrist damage - now that's accuracy!

Haha, I've definitely used the PainLine with the adapter, but my current setup is an ASCII Genesis arcade stick into a Seagull 78 into the 2600-dapter II. :)

• 1 month later...

Oh hey, it's BupSystem v0.9.6.4

Oh hey, it's been a year already... wait.... wait, what? WHAT?! WHEN?!

• Added
    • Support for launching in Full Screen Mode, this is enabled by setting full=y in the [display] section of BupSystem.ini.
    • More robust Atari 7800 File (*.a78) parser.
    • Upgraded to JoyFish v0.8.6.2.
  • Cleanup
    • Color Dialog didn’t restore its previous settings when canceled.
    • Palette wasn’t recalculated on a console region change.
    • Direct3D 9 display texture is now padded vertically, this corrects some filtering issues.
    • Restored the behavior of rendering whether or not a cartridge is loaded.
    • Using the menu in Full Screen Mode now shifts the display downward instead of resizing it.
    • Screen Saver and Monitor Power Down are now allowed while execution is paused.
    • Recent cartridges menu was broken in Windows 95.

The more robust *.a78 parser just means it won't vehemently refuse to load a cartridge if it's surprised by any new type flags - it'll guess slightly harder. Support has also been added for loading SOUPER cartridges in the *.a78 format, albeit without BupChip support.

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

Is it possible to run zipped game images using Bupsystem ?

When I try to run my game files , it just gives a buzzing sound with a black screen in every game I tried

I think the game files are ok , because they run fine in Prosystem

thanks

10 hours ago, clsx said:

Is it possible to run zipped game images using Bupsystem ?

When I try to run my game files , it just gives a buzzing sound with a black screen in every game I tried

No, compressed games aren't supported (not sure if they ever will be). If the loader isn't sure what you want, it'll default to a raw binary which is why you're getting that reaction.

11 hours ago, TailChao said:

No, compressed games aren't supported (not sure if they ever will be). If the loader isn't sure what you want, it'll default to a raw binary which is why you're getting that reaction.

I see , thanks for the reply

If you don't mind , can I kindly ask if it would be possible to add support for compressed files ?

I have all my Atari stuff in .zip files scattered around plethora of folders , and it'd be great to be able to run them as they are

I think most of the modern day emulators (Altirra , Stella ...) support running compressed files , some even support .7z files and browse/run individual files inside big zip files like Stella

I don't know how hard would that be to implement since my coding skills are limited to 'hello world' level , but I'm sure there would also be other who would appreciate the feature

Anyway, thanks and have a nice day

Best regards

9 hours ago, clsx said:

I don't know how hard would that be to implement since my coding skills are limited to 'hello world' level , but I'm sure there would also be other who would appreciate the feature

It's difficult to do in a friendly way, and make the variety of ways games are stored in compressed files easy to navigate for the user. But I do agree it's a value add - so it'll go on the todo list at the start of this thread.

Unless you have a very slow computer or need to emulate Rikki & Vikki's custom hardware I've been recommending users try out a7800 as I've been busy with other things and aren't sure when the next BupSystem update will arrive.

• Like 1