IGNORED

Which game for Christmas present?

grips03

I've played 10 of those games, and IMHO some were substantially better than others.

There's quite a wide range in game styles. What sort of games do you like?

Mostly action games. On Jaguar I like Total Carnage, Wolfenstein and Defender of the Crown the best so far. I also like shooters in general, just not the Trevor McFur kind :)

If you like the old Williams arcade game Defender, then go for Protector SE (I think it has a slight edge on the original Protector).

You might want to also check out Iron Soldier 2.

I really like Worms - very enjoyable 1-player, and even better 2-player.

All of these games have videos on Youtube, so you might want to watch some vids and see which appeals most to you.

• Like 1

I would consider IS2, SkyHammer and Zero 5 some of the best games for the Jag and would have a hard time picking between the 3, not to say the rest aren't nice as well but if I had to choose...

Agreed. Absolutely nothing against the other games, especially the 2D ones (and Towers 2 as well), but some of the 'best' times I had with the Jag in the mid/late 90s were with these three. IS2 is challenging but worth the effort to play and is very well made. Zero 5 is a very challenging and fast 3d version of 80s arcade games...flawed in parts but technically great and will up your skills to get beyond the first few levels...well worth the effort. Skyhammer is just shy of being a great mid-90s early 3D masterpiece. Yes there's bugs, yes the framerate is sketchy at times, but the multiple game modes and different ways of approaching the game give it depth that you'll go back to over time (even with the slightly 'dumb' opponents it's a deep game).

Get all three imho :D

Edited by skip
  • Like 1

I got Zero 5 like two months ago and have reached level 4 on novice, and beaten level 1 at default difficulty/normal level, a fun game and a graphix/sound wow! in the likes of Tempest and such, but to be honest I'd go for Protector SE (with Resurgence cd if you have Jag CD) since the difficulty curve seems great from YT videos and would probably give you much more fun for the dollar during x-mass holiday.

It's action, but not as hard as the unrewarding Zero 5 action.

Did not treat myself with a Jaguar game directly but with some Jaguar related games through GOG. It is really nice to be able to check some stuff out for an Euro and some change. I bought Syndicate to finally be able to play it with a mouse and withought (hopefully) the atrocious slowdowns. Probably should look out for Theme Park too in that regard. Then I also got Syndicate Wars but from the looks I still prefer Syndicate but I will have to try it out some more.

As for the Jag games that never were: I got WIng Commander 3 which might have been great at the time but boy this hasn`t aged well at all but still I was looking forward to play it on the Jag back then. And I bought Magic Carpet which is phenomenal still. (Especially now that I can play it at high resolution with all effects on very smooth). Playing it now like this makes me think how unsuited the Jaguar would have been for it, but still I was really hoping for that one. Level 4 or 5 now and hooked. :)

Then I threw in some Pirates and System Shock 2 (as a big Bioshock fan and never played this one) and I think I have quite some hours to fill for Christmas. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party on this one but Skyhammer is my favorite Jaguar game and I would recommend getting that one all the way! Seems the majority of those who posted in this thread said the same thing. Seeing as Christmas has passed, what did you end up going with???