IGNORED

The time has arrived for a needed "Hardware Hack" for the Atari 5200.

Omega-TI

Do you have an AtariMax?

Do you have an extension cable on your joystick cable?

Are you quite frankly tired of having to get up each and every single time

you want to switch games... just to turn the console off and then on again... and again... and again... and again?

How about a WIRELESS RESET SWITCH to go inside the 5200 that attaches to the switch connector?

The whole unit could fit on a PCB inside the 5200 and be attached by a Velcro Command StripTM.

The transmitter could either attach to the joystick, or just sit next to the player (like a remote control).

I don't know if this is something that would have to be designed from scratch, or if there are already some cheap Chinese components ready to purchase and slap together. Either way, it might improve our gaming enjoyment.

Nice idea, but those will not work. Try unplugging your 5200 as a test, then plug it back in again, no go, you'll still have to manually press the console on switch.

They might be nice for a RPi though.

Nice idea, but those will not work. Try unplugging your 5200 as a test, then plug it back in again, no go, you'll still have to manually press the console on switch.

Mostly true. I forget how, but there was a way to jump pins in the socket of the 4013 near power switch to make system stay on. I've even had systems that would only turn off by unplugging them.

About 15 bucks to control this from your phone, via WiFi, or any browser really. And a bunch of code, but not hard.

EDIT: 3 wires would be needed, all in the general region of the reset spot.

i wonder if there is a reset you could exploit on the cart people used to mod a cart for reset on the commodore 64 maybe some 1/8 earphone jack type extension arrangement like on the masterplay

i wonder if there is a reset you could exploit on the cart people used to mod a cart for reset on the commodore 64 maybe some 1/8 earphone jack type extension arrangement like on the masterplay

There may be a way to do it, like the CRAM cart did. Not sure though, I haven't messed with a 5200 for a long time. The 7800 is a bigger challenge, so I went onto that. :)

If only the reset points on the AtariMax Ultimate SD pcb did anything...hmmm...

Do they? OH YEAH! If so, it would be much easier to attach a small and simple remote reset device onto the cartridge than to mess with the 5200 itself!

In fact it could be made to fit into a 3D printed case and attached to the indented space on back of the cartridge using the slots where keypad templates are usually stored. From a purely aesthetic point of view, no one would really notice it looking straight on.

Do they? OH YEAH! If so, it would be much easier to attach a small and simple remote reset device onto the cartridge than to mess with the 5200 itself!

In fact it could be made to fit into a 3D printed case and attached to the indented space on back of the cartridge using the slots where keypad templates are usually stored. From a purely aesthetic point of view, no one would really notice it looking straight on.

I don't think it works. But yes there is a spot on the PCB that is silk-screened for what looks to be a reset switch installation. But none have ever had that installed that I'm aware of. I've never messed with it to see if it does anything.

I think I remember now, if you connect pin 18 and pin 36 on the cartridge connector, the 5200 will turn on, when you insert the cartridge. So it would not be unreasonable to assume a "button" in the cart may be able to use this as reset. Again, I don't have a 5200 setup at all, probably the last 10 years.

Ok, got the IR design done.

You need to get the Arduino, IR receiver, and relay module.

Here is the code and some pictures:

The value of 0xFF6897 needs to be replaced with the value from your remote control, it could be almost any remote. You can increase the delay if you want a longer reset hold.

Wire the relay outputs to CPUWIZ photo

I think it should work, I don't have multicart for my 5200, so for me, there is no point of doing it.

============================

#include <IRremote.h>
int relay = 8;

const int RECV_PIN = 11;
IRrecv irrecv(RECV_PIN);
decode_results results;
unsigned long key_value = 0;

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);
irrecv.enableIRIn();
irrecv.blink13(true);
pinMode(relay, OUTPUT);