IGNORED

sio2bsd, pc-link, file2pc.obj, raspberry pi, Bad Status from PC problem

E474

Hi,

I am trying to get file2pc.obj to work - as I understand it I can use it to transfer files to the PC-Link folder on my Raspberry Pi (or any server that supports PC-Link). I have installed sio2bsd, and can boot the ATARI.ATR that has file2pc.obj from the Rasberry Pi fine (see attached ATARI.ATR). However, when I try to use file2pc.obj on the (real) 8-bit, I get "BAD STATUS from PC. Restarting" when I try and give the path to the PC-Link directory. In the log for sio2bsd (displayed in the terminal) I get:

24 -> 'S': $31, $53, $0001 ($85)
25 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0169 ($ed)
26 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0033 ($b6)
27 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
28 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
29 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
30 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
31 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
32 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
33 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
34 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
35 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
36 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
37 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
38 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
39 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
40 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
41 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
42 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
43 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
44 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
45 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
46 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
47 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
48 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
49 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
50 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
51 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
52 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
53 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)
54 -> 'S': $3a, $53, $0033 ($c0)

I'm starting sio2bsd on the Raspberry Pi with:

$ sio2bsd ATARI.ATR /tmp/
D1: 720 sectors, 92160 bytes total, mounted on ATARI.ATR

PERCOM: trk 40, step 3, spt 18, heads 1, bps 128, flags 00 (SMALL-FM-5.25INCH)
PCL1: mounted on /tmp
PCLink directory filter allows lower case names
Serial port: /dev/ttyAMA0
POKEY quartz 1781618.500000 Hz and HS Index 0 constant 7.186100 is assumed
Default speed: HSINDEX=40 (19200 bits/sec.)
Default turbo: HSINDEX=0 (123963 bits/sec.)
User selected: HSINDEX=0 (123963 bits/sec.)

And giving a variety of PC pathnames when prompted by the file2pc.obj program, but am getting nowhere.

I built sio2bsd using "make -f Makefile.linux", and set the serial device as /dev/ttyAMA0 in Makefile.linux.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? I would like to hack the file2pc sources so I can write files to the PC-Link folder, but I need to be able to test this is possible, e.g. that file2pc.obj works OK in the first place.

Also, I don't have SpartaDos X, so can't test sio2bsd with the PC-Link.sys driver for that DOS.

If anyone knows how to get file2pc.obj to work with another server than sio2bsd, that would also be a good to know.

Thanks!

ATARI.ATR

SIO2BSD-master.zip

bump,

says zero(0) views and no one said they've seen the thread even though 4 downloads registered. (weird!)

If you can see the thread and have some insight, interest or help to give chime in.

*edit* since the bump it says 99 views and is in the forum list.

I think we have a few people who can handle this with E474 quite readily :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Says 129 views here. Try page refresh (you may be looking at a cached version of the forum index).

High number of views and downloads of files with no response after 2-3 days suggests anyone who looked has nothing to offer yet. User Drac030 wrote SIO2BSD AFAIK, so that may be a potential lead if you get further offers.

Hi E474!

It's not clear to me what you are trying to do.

I may be interpretting Nick Kennedy's notes wrong but it sounds like file2pc merely converts ATASCII files to ASCII files.

from Nick's FAQ

"Can I convert my Atari files to PC files instead of disk images?

Yes. Using the supplied SIO2PC utility FILE2PC, you can convert Atari files to native PC files, ready to be picked up by your PC's word processor (or whatever ...). SIO2PC will not directly (without an Atari computer connected) extract files from an existing disk image and convert them to PC files. However, there are utilities by others that will do this. Follow the Atari Web Ring links to find a number of programs that will display the directories of .ATR disk images, extract files from them, etc. Another way to do this is to use the PRINT-THRU option of SIO2PC.. You will print the file on the Atari and have the printer's output captured to a file on the PC. An advantage of this method is that you can have the system do conversions of Atari specific ATASCII codes to plain ASCII codes."

If you are trying to extract files from ATRs (Atari DOS or MyDOS formats) try ATR2UNIX. It will compile under Raspbian.

To do ATASCII/ASCII conversion (end of lines conversion only) you can try these commands

linux text to ATASCII:

tr "\n" $'\x9B' <infile >outfile

ATASCII to linux:

tr $'\x9B' "\n" <infile >outfile

for Windows text files substitute \r for \n

The syntax is hard to remember (at least for me) with the $, single quotes, and double quotes. I put the commands into bash shell scripts

These work on my RPi but it's not quite a Raspbian build.

Regards,

a8isa1

Hi a8isa1,

Thanks very much for the reply - I read it as file2pc was a program to copy files from the 8-bit to a PC directory, but I agree it is a bit ambiguous. If you have RespeQt (version 4(?) or similar), is there any chance you could test out file2pc.obj (it is on the ATARI.ATR image) with your Pi as a PC-Link server? File2pc.obj is sending (SIO) status requests to device $3A, which is supposed to be reserved for PC-Link. I think this can be done, but I haven't installed RespeQt on my Pi, and don't want to start hacking the file2pc.obj sources until I am sure I have an environment that I know it works in.

Thanks!

Hi a8isa1,

Thanks very much for the reply - I read it as file2pc was a program to copy files from the 8-bit to a PC directory, but I agree it is a bit ambiguous. If you have RespeQt (version 4(?) or similar), is there any chance you could test out file2pc.obj (it is on the ATARI.ATR image) with your Pi as a PC-Link server? File2pc.obj is sending (SIO) status requests to device $3A, which is supposed to be reserved for PC-Link. I think this can be done, but I haven't installed RespeQt on my Pi, and don't want to start hacking the file2pc.obj sources until I am sure I have an environment that I know it works in.

Thanks!

My Pi is stripped back. It's running headless on 2GB SD card. no Qtlibs, so no AspeQt/RespeQt. I don't remember if Atariserver can be built for Pi

-a8isa1

I don't remember if Atariserver can be built for Pi

I've recently added support for that, see this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284137-testers-needed-atarisio-with-usb-standard-serial-ports/

Haven't done an official release for it yet (I'm waiting for some more feedback from testers) and also haven't implemented pclink support - this might follow some time later (a bit undecided yet and personally I don't use SpartaDos/SDX at all).

The latest testing version currently is 181113, you can grab it from here: http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/atarisio/testing/

so long,

Hias

• Like 2

Also, I don't have SpartaDos X, so can't test sio2bsd with the PC-Link.sys driver for that DOS.

If anyone knows how to get file2pc.obj to work with another server than sio2bsd, that would also be a good to know.

Thanks!

Hi,

"PCLINK" has nothing to do with "file2pc". As far as Google knows, the second one is compatible with SIO2PC PC DOS software (http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Faqs/new_and_emu.html).

PCLINK is a file transfer protocol, which requires a PCLINK device handler on the ATARI side and the only implementation is available for Sparta Dos at this time.

On the PC side, you can use sio2bsd or RespeQt.

The other option is to use AspeQt fork from atari8warez. He implemented "writeable" mounted folders.

However his code is closed and I don't know if he offers Raspberry Pi binaries.

Regards

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hi Hias and TheMontezuma,

I am guessing then, that file2pc only works with SIO2PC DOS software, and isn't supported by Atariserver or sio2bsd?

So, as I don't use SpartaDos X, I can't transfer files to the PC programatically?

In some other place (http://abbuc.de/~bunsen/RealDOS_Manual.pdf) I read that file2pc is also supported by APE Software.

Hias may tell something about Atariserver.

I mentioned in my last post, that you can use atari8warez fork of AspeQt (at least on a Windows PC).

He implemented writable folders. This nice feature is a Atari Dos disk emulation (mapping Atari Disks to the PC file system).

You just mount a directory on a PC (for example) as DISK2 and copy files to it using Atari Dos from (for example) DISK1.

This way you can transfer Atari files to a PC file system.

So, as I don't use SpartaDos X, I can't transfer files to the PC programatically?

If you don't use SpartaDos then you can give AtariSIO / atariserver a try.

It supports "virtual drives" which bascially mirror a directory and also allow writing to the PC.

This only works with DOS2.x and MyDOS (plus sufficiently compatible DOSes like Turbo Dos), but not with SDX because it doesn't open a directory entry for writing at the beginning and closing it after writing is finished. The latter is important because the file open -> file closed status transition of the directory entry is what will trigger writing the file to the PC directory in atariserver.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1