IGNORED

Galaxian, Galaga, and Gaplus

Cobra Kai

Galaxian, Galaga, or Gaplus?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hands down for me is Gaplus! It is the unsung hero of the 3 games. Most people do not understand it but its powerups and gameplay are the best in my opinion. The Bonus levels are juggling levels and most people cannot figure that out haha..

In any case look for a great version on the original Namco Musuem for the PS1.

More like most people have never even heard of it.

Eh... I'm calling shenanigans on that video clip. Sometimes the collision detection works, and sometimes enemies seem to slip right through the player's ship. What's going on there? Either the hit boxes are really tiny or this is tool assisted. Also, the ship the player uses doesn't seem to be the default.

Anyway. I'm looking at the footage and it's kind of surprising how many sound clips I lifted from Gaplus when I made my Game Boy Advance port of GORF, uh... (counts on fingers) NINE YEARS AGO?! Most people on AtariAge don't seem to like the sound effects in that game but I guess I was one of the exceptions.

(Also, those little yellow diamonds that appear out of nowhere and rain shrapnel down on your head? Total bullshit. Apparently Jeff Minter snuck into the design room at the last minute with his annoying mantra of "you don't have to SEE it to be able to DODGE it.")

galaga all the way for me.. been getting better at this year. i usually quit at a million,

but i hit 1.7 earlier this year, and killscreened the arcade 1up version a few weeks ago at just over 3 million.

i've hit 20k on galaxian, and when it came out, although i liked shooters, and space invaders, i only played

it a few times before moving on. didn't have the patience for it.

one thing about galaga, was learning the no-shoot trick made it a lot easier to practice and get good at it.

i HATE the turbo fire galaga, as there is no challenge in that version at all.

i played gaplus a decent amount, and still like the challenge, power-ups and other strategies in it.

love galaga 88, but didn't know about the triple ship and other features until recently, the bonus stages are great...

i also love the challenge of galaga legions, and the throwbacks (especially if you put the classic skin on it), trying

to get through all the levels in one game. the DX version made it too easy of course.

the galaga assault arcade game is cool, with terrible controls on that big joystick, but you can set the game to be

in arcade mode, and not give out tickets. would like to play that more.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

So, because of this thread, I went back and fired up Gaplus/Galaga 3 over the weekend. Honestly, it's not bad! The one thing that throws me off is the ability to move up and down; I think it actually makes it harder to avoid diving ships and bullets. In other shooters, you really need the ability to move in all directions, but in Galaga/Galaxian, due to the vertical orientation and smallish playing field, side to side is all you really need. Sucking up 4 ships with the tractor beam and laying waste to everything is pretty cool, too.

Still don't like it as much as Galaga, Galaxian, or Galaga '88 though.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Galaxian was 1, Galaga was the sequel (2), and GAPLUS is the (3rd)... the names continue from one to another within the games.... so... GAPLUS is Galaxian/Galaga III

and moreso...

Gaplus & Galaga 3 are the same game.
Gaplus released first and no one knew it was part of the Galaga universe, the arcade earnings were poor. The game was too hard after parsect-sector 9. They release an "update" kit to with a few roms changing the title screen to read Galaga 3 along with a replacement marquee.

Edited by _The Doctor__

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Galaxian was 1, Galaga was the sequel (2), and GAPLUS is the (3rd)... the names continue from one to another within the games.... so... GAPLUS is Galaxian/Galaga III

close, but not quite.

galaxian 3 is a 6 player shooter:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7889

Galaxian 3

Galaxian 3 Description

Galaxian 3 was produced by Namco in 1990.

Up to six players are seated in front of three projection screens inside of a large booth. Using a flight yoke to position a cursor on the scren, players blast flying enemies and shoot at the bosses that appear at the end of each stage. Participants can choose to take different paths throughout the game.

later

Edited by negative1

Heh, that's Galaxian3 Cubed not 3... you were so close... :)

They need to fix the site, it's superscript on the marquee as well...

someone needs to get them the properly display the name on their site.

perhaps they phoned this one in, and missed the concept as well?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

"GAPLUS is Galaxian/Galaga III"

well, if we are going to correct things, its galaga 3 (haha), not roman numerals.

so you had wrong in both ways.

there is no galaga game that uses that notation:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7884

Galaga 3 - Title screen image

Galaga 3 Description

Galaga 3 was produced by Namco in 1984.

Another shooting game in which you can capture the enemies and make them work with you if you hit the queen ship when it dives. Not widely known because released during video game crash.

later

I'm correct and the way you made that post was both laughable and wrong... splitting hairs over notation versus substance?

or we just going to run with the mistakes and be hasty... I don't think quoting out of context and snipping it in half served anyone very well.

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

and moreso...

Gaplus & Galaga 3 are the same game.
Gaplus released first and no one knew it was part of the Galaga universe, the arcade earnings were poor. The game was too hard after parsect-sector 9. They release an "update" kit to with a few roms changing the title screen to read Galaga 3 along with a replacement marquee.

picking an choosing what to quote... the top section was to make a point... the bottom shows Galaga 3 as is on the screen... You do see Galaga 3? I see it. and as for the giggles roman numerals for 3 is III and are interchangeable even out of context, but superscript vs no superscript is not in regard to Galaxian 3.

It's still Galaxian3 (Cubed), even if you choose to site yourself saying it's 3, though we can attest that I can site myself as definitively telling you it's cubed... full concept and correct name. Galaga 3 is as stated. So that's good.

Just having some fun.

so... in and effort to appease ...  GAPLUS is Galaxian 3/Galaga 3, where as Galaxian 3 (cubed) is a multiplayer game.

Although using the numerals to make it stand out still seemed less visually confusing when making the point.

so many 3's and Gala's- good thing is, this is now slightly more memorable.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So ...where does that leave Galaga 88/90?  Galaga 4?

Hopefully ignored, broken, and inaccessible in a dark, locked closet.  Never liked that game; the cutesyness of it put me off (and still does) in a big way.  Ditto the choose-your-path progression through it, which always felt half-baked.

Lots of potential, but ultimately unrewarding to play in my book.  Has some pretty explosions, though.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, Flojomojo said:

Amiga peeps seem to love an homage game called Galaga Deluxe. The author unfortunately passed away a few years ago, but was working on homages called Warblade. It's like an infinite Galaga with bosses and stuff, I can see why it would spark peoples' imagination in a certain time.

I really love the game, you're talking about, called "Deluxe Galaga" by Mr. Edgar M. Vigdal.

I didn't know, he's passed away, so that's very sad news to me. :(

He had a website here (and also a Twitter account). "Deluxe Galaga" can be downloaded from Aminet here. There's an AGA-version ("_A") and an ECS-version ("_E").

"Deluxe Galaga" is probably my favourite "newer" game, in a sense, I came across it only after the original 8- and 16-bit times. First release seemed to have been in 1993 though.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 7:03 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

Well, the back of  Namco's flyer has got it both ways. 

20210911_134901.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've got Galaga/Galaga 88 on that v2 of the a1up countercade of theirs, it's bizarre and still trying to figure out how the whole branching path thing works, but it's a solid hard challenging game compared to the original.

It's pretty simple. If you collect 2 of those capsule things, then you warp to another path/dimension after the bonus stage. If you don't, then you stay on the path you're on.  There are different enemies in the different dimensions, and each path has a different final boss. 

It's a good game, but even back in the day when I got it at launch, my complaint was that it ended. And once you've tried beating all the bosses through each path, there's not much else to do.