IGNORED

Galaxian, Galaga, and Gaplus

Cobra Kai

Galaxian, Galaga, or Gaplus?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:58 PM, Cobra Kai said:

This is such a cool trilogy of classic games isn't it? Do you prefer a certain one? I actually like Galaxian. I just love the music and the sound effects. I actually think it's more difficult than Galaga, which is the game I suspect will get the most votes in this poll. With Galaxian, I find the enemies to have very erratic movements as they tumble down the screen, they swirl around and around, I find it all very challenging.

That's not to say that Galaga is an easy game, it has some evolutionary elements that lend to it's legendary favorite status among alot of people, but I find the enemy patterns more predictable. I can't play this game indefinitely or anything, but it seems easier.

Gaplus, I really haven't played this very much. I don't know what the point of the game was, I mean you had more freedom of movement than with Galaga, your ship could move around the screen more like in Centipede, you weren't locked into the bottom of the screen. Other than that, it seems very similar to Galaga, even the sound effects were similar. Someone could point out what I'm missing here with Gaplus.

I really like Galaga, and It's no surprise it's in the vote lead... but I've always like Galaxian better for some reason.
No idea why, Galaga has more to it.

• Like 3

@NE146 Well I got a deal on a returned product countercade a1up with it, I think the thing doesn't catch every time I fire, but the stick is responsive.  I can't play my best at Galaga, so I'm guessing my ass getting kicked by that game is probably related along with it being new.  Drives me nuts I can't seem to clear out the hi scores on that one, and there is no software reset.

• Like 1

Bosconian.

Of these three it's funny it's like asking if someone likes Pacman or Super pacman or Pacman Junior and everyone going to pick Pacman just like everyone will pick Galaga.

Namco is known for one hit wonder series, mspacman would be exception but it was not made by namco and don't count.

Poleposition wasn't that good but was popular for time, Poleposition II hot garbage.

Pacman fever put people in hospital, Super pacman put them in the grave.

Dig Dug was nice for the time, DigDug 2 I don't even know what they were smoking.

Galaga was classic, the others hahahaha no.

Rally X was a neat idea, New Rally X crash and burned off road.

Mappy a great classic, Mappy Land was something but I don't know what it was.

Druaga was a bad game, Return to Ishtar even worse game.

Steel Gunner was impressive, Steel Gunner 2 was oppressive, to your intelligence.

Namco sometimes hit it out on the first date, but then he hurts her and she leave now. I mean these are just classic titles it continues with modern titles, something wrong with Namco and follow-ups. Big exception is Tekken. Soul Calibur debatable. 

31 minutes ago, James Vontor said:

Namco sometimes hit it out on the first date, but then he hurts her and she leave now. I mean these are just classic titles it continues with modern titles, something wrong with Namco and follow-ups. Big exception is Tekken. Soul Calibur debatable. 

Tekken was hot garbage, and a poor mans button mashing version of virtua fighter.

soul caliber was the same thing with weapons.

Everything that namco did in 3d was 2nd rate to Sega, and a cheap rip off.

They got the popular vote, because you didn't need any skill, and could look flashy mashing buttons to play,

or come in first on the racing games, or whatever they were copying.

Namco in their prime in the early 80's has only been matched by Atari for having timeless classics that persist to this

day, and probably forever.

the latter namco games will disappear much like the atari 2600 did.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

...the latter namco games will disappear much like the atari 2600 did.

The Atari 2600 disappeared? Oh, I beg to differ! Every decade since its inception has had new software made for it. Peripherals, compatible joysticks/paddles and compatible systems continue to be made to this day. Hell, even modern systems are literally being made under the Atari VCS moniker. Can't think of a time where the mighty VCS didn't have some kind of presence somewhere since 1977.   :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:16 AM, JamesD said:

I really like Galaga, and It's no surprise it's in the vote lead... but I've always like Galaxian better for some reason.
No idea why, Galaga has more to it.

I'm the same.  I know Galaga is a better game, but there is something about Galaxian that draws me to it more than the others. 

• Like 1

speaking of galaga: but it also has galaxian and galaga '88

here is a preorder for class of 81, online leaderboards, and light up marquee

$599

Twelve games, one arcade machine, unlimited retrogaming fun. Add the Ms. PAC-MAN / GALAGA Class of ’81 from Arcade1Up to your home, and it’s game time anytime, no quarters required!

Now let’s talk about eye-appeal. Gorgeous cabinet design and artwork that perfectly captures that throwback look. Yep, a matching riser is included, if you need to give it some lift!

Full Size Real-Feel Arcade Controls, Coinless operation, Adjustable Variable Volume, On-Screen Game Selection Menu, In Game Settings Menu, Plugs into an AC outlet, Easy Assembly

Games Included: Ms. PAC-MAN, GALAGA, GALAGA '88, GALAXIAN, DIG DUG, DIG DUG II, MAPPY, RALLY-X, ROLLING THUNDER, ROMPERS, TOWER OF DRUAGA, KING AND BALLOON

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-ms-pacman-galaga-1981-ed-arcade/6477841.p?skuId=6477841

later

Edited by negative1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, negative1 said:

Thank you for the link, I totally took advantage of this along with the code  HOLIDAY for an additional $15 off. 

Is this a QVC exclusive?  I could not find any information about this on google at all.

I any case this one was definitely the best one of all of them.  Gaplus, Galaga 88, Xevious, Galaga and Galaxian, great lineup!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Thank you for the link, I totally took advantage of this along with the code  HOLIDAY for an additional $15 off. 

Is this a QVC exclusive?  I could not find any information about this on google at all.

I any case this one was definitely the best one of all of them.  Gaplus, Galaga 88, Xevious, Galaga and Galaxian, great lineup!

I would have preferred bosconian to xevious.

but its a great lineup.

let us know how it works out. I'm waiting on the galaga 40th partycade.

yes, hsn and qvc have exclusive releases.

later

14 hours ago, zetastrike said:

I would pick Galaxian 100% of the time.  I find Galaga too reliant on memorization of enemy waves, Galaxian is a perfect pick up and play anytime kind of game.

i find it the opposite.

galaxian is the same wave, and the same patterns every single time, over and over again, with little to no variation.

later

I'm going with Galaxian here

Namco was such a power house in the early '80s. I played the majority of their hits... the big two were Xevious and Bosconian for me. After that golden age of arcades, going into the jamma era, they were definitely hit and miss. I don't think most of these titles even made it in the states. Pac-land was huge and my favorite of the Pac-series. Rolling Thunder was another big one for me. They had three in '87: Pac-mania, Galaga '88 and Dragon Spirit that seemed to do o.k. - Dragon Spirit is my personal favorite. The last big hit in the '80s had to be Assault. Didn't really care for their library in the '90s, the only one I played was Dragon Saber (sequel to Spirit) but that was a kit game and a rare one at that.

Notes : Arcade 1up - Galaga Junior - 3.1 million (Billy mitchell easy mode)

Setting Easy - no collisions with shots or enemies, although I did try to play normally

Level reset - goes wave 255, 0, 1

Level 0 - Mix of first and 2nd bonus levels, but enemies shoot

(This is equivalent to playing arcade medium difficulty)

Normal killscreen, game ends on level 0.

later

Edited by negative1

I got the Galaga 88 arcade machine in today and it is very well made and made of wood and not plastic. 

I also like they have a protective clear screen cover on the control panel and monitor screen much like you see on a  new cell phone.  I have not gotten around to peeling them off and usually will not until the unit they start peeling off themselves.

I did have a problem with a button that got disconnected in shipping but after reconnecting it, everything worked well.

The only problem I see is that the joystick is on the left side and the fire buttons are on the right and while correct for the arcade feels backwards to me.

I don't know I used to easily adapt to this much better when I was young but now that I am a bit older it seems hard for me to use it this way.  

I will most likely mod the unit to allow the use of the player 1 and 2 buttons to work as fire buttons as well.

In any case great machine and a great way to play Galaga 3 (Gaplus),  Galaga 88 and Galaga and Xevious!

Very very happy with the unit.  If any of you all are thinking of getting it, I recommend it along with that extra discount code.

• Like 1