IGNORED

Expansions for Atari 800? RAM, ROM, sound, etc.?

LambdaCalculus379

Asking on behalf of a friend:

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any expansions for the Atari 800, much in the vein of the expansions we have for the Atari XL/XE computers (RAM expansion, etc.)

The Atari 800 maxes out officially at 48K RAM, which isn't enough for most of the homebrew games and such that target 64K+ RAM systems. I remember reading a long time back about some RAM expansions and such that do work on the Atari 800, but it's been ages and I'm wondering if most of that information is still relevant or not.

One I remember reading about was the Incognito card (?), which gave the 800 a nice RAM boost. I *think* that was the name of it? (see what I mean by it's been ages? icon_razz.gif )

Anywho, can anyone point me to some good expansions that target the good old 800 computer that may still be available for purchase somewhere? I don't need anything like a SIO2SD or an Ultimate Cart; those are handled already.

There have been Axlon compatible extended memory expansions for the 800 since the early 80's, but that addresses extended memory differently than the XL/XE. For XL/XE compatibility there are currently two routes, neither easy. Upgrade a 48K Atari 400 board using Claus Bucholz 62K upgrade (technically 64K just like XL's) , which makes the 400/800 compatible with 64K Atari's or buy an Incognito board that makes it compatible with 128K+ XL/XE systems. The Incognito was a limited run and hard to find right now, everyone is keeping theirs it seems. Hopefully a new run will happen soon. The Ingcognito has other upgrades on it too. Claus has said he may look into doing an "incognito lite" in the near future.

I recently was given the 800 you see in my Avatar, and I intend to do the Clause 62K upgrade and an Axlon upgrade for extended 800 memory until a new Incognito or "Incognito lite" is available again. But 48K 400 boards are hard to come by too.

As to other internal expansions, I'm generally ignorant of any, I haven't heard of anyone doing a 2xPOKEY Stereo upgrade that I recall, but I would think it's perfectly possible. No video upgrades (400 has them) that I know of, but the 800 has great S-video (chroma/luma) output that all the XL/XE upgrades strive for, so it's not really necessary. It may be possible to fit one of the new home-brew video boards to an 800, like the Sofia, which comes in RGB, and DVI flavors, IIRC. Of course there are lots of vintage personality boards with alternate OS's with machine monitor abilities, 80 columns etc.

Edited by Gunstar

Asking on behalf of a friend:

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any expansions for the Atari 800, much in the vein of the expansions we have for the Atari XL/XE computers (RAM expansion, etc.)

The Atari 800 maxes out officially at 48K RAM, which isn't enough for most of the homebrew games and such that target 64K+ RAM systems. I remember reading a long time back about some RAM expansions and such that do work on the Atari 800, but it's been ages and I'm wondering if most of that information is still relevant or not.

One I remember reading about was the Incognito card (?), which gave the 800 a nice RAM boost. I *think* that was the name of it? (see what I mean by it's been ages? icon_razz.gif )

Anywho, can anyone point me to some good expansions that target the good old 800 computer that may still be available for purchase somewhere? I don't need anything like a SIO2SD or an Ultimate Cart; those are handled already.

Here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212773-incognito-install-a-collectors-perspective/?p=2762116

• Like 2

The Ingcognito has other upgrades on it too. Claus has said he may look into doing an "incognito lite" in the near future.

That's the one I was looking at! It's definitely a great looking expansion for the 800, but yeah, I've not had luck finding any as of late, at least not cheap enough!

Intended for the 400, tf_hh also made (and still has available afaik) the Atari 400 48/52 KB RAM-Card with "external" OS-ROM support using standard EPROM sizes:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267042-new-hardware-atari-400-ram-card-4852-kb-external-os-rom/

Not sure if it works in 800? Still not 64KB for XL/XE compatibility though...

Oh yeah, I just remembered Level42 has his new Antix upgrade coming out, and it will have a version with ribbon cable for use with the 400/800. (or for 1200XL's if need be due to other upgrades being in the way, like mine, or for any Atari with a similar problem I suppose)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281761-introducing-antix-the-antic-switch/?hl=+antix

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, I just remembered Level42 has his new Antix upgrade coming out, and it will have a version with ribbon cable for use with the 400/800. (or for 1200XL's if need be due to other upgrades being in the way, like mine, or for any Atari with a similar problem I suppose)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281761-introducing-antix-the-antic-switch/?hl=+antix

EXACTLY what I am waiting for...

This (only this) unique and simple video upgrade, combined with Incognito's integral design and bad-ass central BIOS (which includes on-board PBI bus connector), will enable for you a retro-computing experience like no other system (mass-produced) in Atari's entire line-up.

Talk about savoring Atari at its very best.

Looking forward to Antix!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

EXACTLY what I am waiting for...

This (only this) unique and simple video upgrade, combined with Incognito's integral design and bad-ass central BIOS (which includes on-board PBI bus connector), will enable for you a retro-computing experience like no other system (mass-produced) in Atari's entire line-up.

Talk about savoring Atari at its very best.

Looking forward to Antix!

I've got one on pre-order with him that I was planning on installing in my 1200XL that already has been PAL converted, so I could play a few NTSC games at full 60Hz speed again, but since then have gotten my NTSC 800, so I think I may just stick it in there instead, With that and at least the Claus B. 62K upgrade I'll be set until Incoginito or similar comes my way.

On second thought, I'll have to do a stereo Pokey upgrade too.

Edited by Gunstar