IGNORED

Dragon's Descent - Roguelite/Action game

Revontuli

Latest build:

DragonsDescent_2019_8_15_2019.bin

I did a little bit of re-organizing instructions, and decided to animate the door (blinking with a key icon) to see how that works.  The design is based on the fourth door, but my hope is that the blinking key symbol on top of the door communicates the "get key to unlock door" dynamic. 

DragonsDescent_2019_August_Cart_Candidate.bas_6.png.4595c5c4626d97c7c5a33b7647c370e6.png

It should also be within cycle count, although I'm paranoid since a few circumstances in the game get -very close- to hitting the cycle limit.  I'll be testing on hardware over the next few days.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, mickmuze said:

I feel like we both have stumbled upon an age old problem.

That's strangely reassuring.  Thanks for your response!

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 2:04 PM, fluxit said:

Is it my imagination, or does the player character accelerate faster in the 7800 version?

The 7800 version does accelerate a little faster, one of the quirks of porting the game.  A lot of it has to do with the different resolution on the 7800, meaning the screen/sprite/pixel proportions are different (the sprites are larger on screen in the 7800, which makes everything feel a little faster as well).   I actually have to make the horizontal and vertical speeds different from one another on the 7800 to account for the more rectangular pixels.    

On 8/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, Revontuli said:

OtherDoors.png.5d34dd9cdc3e81bf5c56e50710b433bb.png

I like the 3rd and 4th designs the best. I think the key design of the 4th one inside the door of the 3rd for a locked door might work better so it has a consistent design between a locked and unlocked door. Here's what I mean:

image.png.7144df25722f7fda50114485f1baf6ec.png

EDIT: Also, we have your latest build scheduled for next Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew show (Aug 28th)! It's been a long time since we'd played it and there's been a number of updates. ?

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Also, we have your latest build scheduled for next Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew show (Aug 28th)! It's been a long time since we'd played it and there's been a number of updates. ?

Awesome - I'm looking forward to it!  The 2600 version is very near a final version, so it won't be a "Work in Progress" much longer!  

I'll admit most of the updates are subtle, or "quality-of-life" features, like the game telling you your maze number when in random mode, or keeping track of the high score for each mode.   I've been spending a fair amount of time porting the game to the 7800 (and experimenting with a few other platforms as well...)

The default maze layout should be the same, so with a bit of practice and memory you might be able to defeat the midboss on level 3 and get to the final boss on level 7...

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:55 PM, Revontuli said:

The sprite can't even really be just a keyhole.  It's even harder since it really needs to be a door PLUS a keyhole-probably a 4x4-6x6 keyhole with a box around it.  It needs be be iconic, in the sense that it's 1) recognizable as a lock/door and 2) can't be easily mistaken for something else.  7x7 pixels might actually be easier in terms of design, since you have a proper central pixel and axes, but that also makes the whole thing a little off center and thin-looking compared to most of the other graphics.

Would something like this work?

keyhole door.png

Edited by NostAlgae37
resized pixel grid to 8x8

We'll be featuring the newest build of Dragon's Descent LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch! We'll be trying our best to get as far as we can!!!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Dare Devil (2019 WIP Update) by Muddyfunster
- Chaotic Grill (2019 WIP Update) by Philip Blackman aka splendidnut
- Sokoboo (2019 WIP Update) by Andrew Davie
- Dragon's Descent (2018 WIP Update) by Revontuli

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, NostAlgae37 said:

Would something like this work?

keyhole door.png

Something like that combined with the playfield might work - although the way I'm using the graphics in this a particular game complicates things.  Since there's no bottom row of pixels closing the keyhole, it might make the shape ambiguous if it's in the middle of the screen without supporting graphics (a common problem with most other shapes as well).

I ended up settling on the door graphics I posted about earlier, and managed to squeeze another sprite into the ROM, animating the sprite.  Animation helps considerably, and I feel a little bad ruling it out as a possibility when I posed this problem.

Thanks for the input and suggestions - I'll be posting some more info on the game soon!

Edited by Revontuli

• 4 weeks later...

We've got carts!

DragonsDescentCartBox.thumb.png.a55720d6bad7f072e92c44898e0d1dec.png

Dragons_DescentCart.thumb.png.652113b169eaf625f0782e078f003e9b.png

Thanks to Al, I've got a couple I showed at IndieCade last weekend, and they should be for sale at Portland for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this coming weekend (October 18-20) and available online some time after that!  Box and instruction manual included!

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Revontuli said:

We've got carts!

Thanks to Al, I've got a couple I showed at IndieCade last weekend, and they should be for sale at Portland for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this coming weekend (October 18-20) and available online some time after that!  Box and instruction manual included!

Looking forward to picking it up at PRGE while I'm there, looks beautiful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Revontuli said:

We've got carts!

DragonsDescentCartBox.thumb.png.a55720d6bad7f072e92c44898e0d1dec.png

Dragons_DescentCart.thumb.png.652113b169eaf625f0782e078f003e9b.png

Forgive me if I have missed it but is the 7800 version finished?

Just now, AtariBrian said:

Forgive me if I have missed it but is the 7800 version finished?

Not yet - among other things I still need to test the 7800 version more thoroughly on the original 7800 hardware.  I currently lack the equipment to do it myself.  A 7800 SD-cart or equivalent is hard to find at the moment, although I've heard rumors of some stuff on the horizon.  

That said, now that the 2600 version is "shipped," I hope to have more attention to give to the 7800 version - there's even a feature or two I'm considering adding, depending on things.  I'll post as things develop!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Dragon's Descent for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

851154652_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestPackagingAtari2600.jpg.fb8b207414c659e2e70ee58dfcbc8104.jpg85156164_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.9fbc5742f0d0265946f6c0bc6ce46213.jpg650027680_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.f828e29854291eaeb8f97cb4269affa8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1