IGNORED

Altirra on macOS (Update Thread)

Ripdubski

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Tried devel; debugger problems gone, other two issues still present. I did compile a version of Altirra which rebuilt the virtual drive catalogue on each access (thus side-stepping the file system change notification issue), but I can't remember where it is. :D

What exactly are you doing (or try to) ? I want to test if I have the same issues. 

1 minute ago, skr said:

What exactly are you doing (or try to) ? I want to test if I have the same issues. 

I explain it in the PM I just sent by way of reply, but for others:

Go into 'Disk Drives', click on the right-pointing wedge next to a drive slot, then choose 'Mount folder as virtual DOS 2 disk'. This will create a read-only disk reflecting the contents of the specified host OS folder (I use this as my assembly target folder in WUDSN). Then see if files added to that folder mid-session show up in the emulated machine. I find that they don't.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, skr said:

I was successfull with another approach. Opened Terminal.app and typed

brew install homebrew/cask-versions/wine-devel

Before starting it, first make sure to delete the ".wine/" folder in your user folder. Now Altirra can be started from the Terminal with "wine64 <path_to_Altirra64.exe>"

Tried that (on Mojave) but don't get a file selector when trying to scan a folder for OS ROMs. Same behavior in the setup wizard and from the firmware manager. 

It seems to be just the folder picker, because the file picker for "boot image" works. 

1 hour ago, slx said:

Tried that (on Mojave) but don't get a file selector when trying to scan a folder for OS ROMs. Same behavior in the setup wizard and from the firmware manager. 

It seems to be just the folder picker, because the file picker for "boot image" works. 

I don´t know what exactly the problem is, but I could solve it by manually setting up the OS ROMs and choose each ROM separately instead of scanning the folder.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, skr said:

I don´t know what exactly the problem is, but I could solve it by manually setting up the OS ROMs and choose each ROM separately instead of scanning the folder.

That worked for me, too. Must be a bug in the translation of the "select folder" function. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed Wine devel using the brew command above and I can launch Altirra64. However, the wizard dialog that tries to open the file system dialog to select the ROM folder comes blank. Is anyone else seeing that?

Thanks

Edited by pedgarcia

4 hours ago, pedgarcia said:

I've installed Wine devel using the brew command above and I can launch Altirra64. However, the wizard dialog that tries to open the file system dialog to select the ROM folder comes blank. Is anyone else seeing that?

Yes, this is common behaviour and can be solved with an easy workaround: Ignore the wizard at first time install by just skipping that step.

Once you´ve started Altirra normally, go to the settings and add each ROM manually (don´t use "Scan", use the other file browser). Adding each ROM might be a bit time consuming, but you only do it once and then never again, so I can live with it.

The problem seems to be related to the way how the file picker works.

This is AWESOME! I was having issues with my Mac and decided to do a fresh install last night. I had been holding off on Catalina because of Wine, but just decided if I was going to build from scratch, it should be Catalina.

Then, today, I pop in here and read this thread, now I have Altirra running under Wine on Catalina!

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, slx said:

I just entered the path to my ROM folder in the otherwise empty scan for rooms box and it found them all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, skr said:

I was successfull with another approach. Opened Terminal.app and typed

brew install homebrew/cask-versions/wine-devel

Before starting it, first make sure to delete the ".wine/" folder in your user folder. Now Altirra can be started from the Terminal with "wine64 <path_to_Altirra64.exe>"

Now I´m goign to update my sh-scripts to have Altirra integrated in WUDSN IDE again. :)

This is the way I went. Just make sure to have homebrew installed, which is an easy thing to do, if you follow the instructions: https://brew.sh/index_de

Works fine with WUDSN IDE and also made an app using Apple Script Editor to start Altirra on Mac like any other Mac application.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, skr said:

This is the way I went. Just make sure to have homebrew installed, which is an easy thing to do, if you follow the instructions: https://brew.sh/index_de

Works fine with WUDSN IDE and also made an app using Apple Script Editor to start Altirra on Mac like any other Mac application.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

So I installed wine-dev with your method, and downloaded altirra 3.90 as Mr. Robot suggested. I'm not very experienced with wine ... I'm downloading from https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ see if I can make the exe file run ?

Don´t use winebottler! Absolutely unnecessary!

If you have installed wine-dev, just open Terminal.app on Mac. Then you get a command line window.

For ease of use, rename the Altirra-folder to "Altirra" and put it in "Applications".

Then, in Terminal.app, you go there by typing

cd /Applications/Altirra

To make sure, Altirra64.exe is there, type:

ls

You now get a listing of all files in the folder Altirra. There should be two exe-files: Altirra.exe and Altirra64.exe. Altirra.exe won´t run. So now just type

wine64 Altirra64.exe

Let us know, if that works for you. The next step than is to create a nice App (simple thing to do with script editor) so that you can start Altirra by double-clicking on that icon, like any Mac-app.

• Like 1