IGNORED

I have everything I want for the Atari 8-bit. Now what?

ACML

I have to admit, a lot of the enjoyment has been in acquiring items, fixing some, changing your mind, and basically the pursuit of what you want. I think I'm at a point that I have everything I want. I know I can just sit back and enjoy the hardware, but like most, I seldom have the time to relax. I guess I'll just have to get out of the "what next" mindset and enjoy something we used to have back in the day, free time. I'm about to turn 55 and I'm still pretty sharp, always chasing something whether work or hobbies. Lots of new stuff has come out for the 8-bits in the last few years. Time to dive in and enjoy the stuff. It will take some getting used to, but It's a nice problem to have.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year AA?

• Like 9

Now you enjoy what you have and maybe use it in as many ways as possible, beyond games. After all these years I have a fantastic set up that I am happy with too, though I may eventually buy more for a couple of other Atari's I have. I'm 50 years old, But I'm finally learning to program and learning SpartaDOS X inside and out special OS's like Qmeg 4 and Omnimon, with all my new and vintage tech to use it all to the fullest in my programming pursuits. Hopefully proving and old dog can learn new tricks...maybe it takes longer...

I also intend to build a robot that I control with my Atari, and eventually give that robot an on-board Atari 400 brain to make it completely mobile with no tethers to a sitting Atari computer.

I'm also going back and playing all the Infocom and Synapse E. novel text adventures that I never had the patience for when I was younger.

I'm using it with The Last Word processor currently for writing reviews for Excel magazine and intend to write a novel using my Atari and Last Word in the future.

I intend to take full advantage of all my real and virtual drives and software like RPG's that use multiple drives.no more disk-swapping!

I intend to finally learn to do some CAD with my Super 3D Plotter program and do animations with it and printouts to my 1020 plotter.

I intend to get my 1030 modem connected to a phone line and call up whatever BBS's are still in existence, something I never got a chance to experience in my youth. I might even eventually start my own BBS, since once I'm finished rebuilding and restoring, I'll have 4 Atari's I could network up and with the modern day storage systems with gigs, should be nice...

I'm an artist and intend to use all my old and new art programs with all the hardware and software graphic modes, and my Atari touch tablet to get back into digital art on my Atari.

I'm going to play lots of games and never have to worry about if the game will work on my system because I upgraded it to handle everything.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

Been there. Occasionally I pick up a new bit of hardware, but now I stick to using what I own. As part of my schedule every morning I try to play for 15-20 minutes. It's a great way to start the day. No matter how bad the rest of the day might be, at least I played some games that morning. It keeps things in perspective and on a more positive level.

• Like 4

Get involved with software development - help to make new stuff you like to see running.

Particularly anything that pushes the hardware further - and/or increases the 'fun' aspect in running the old hardware.

Some people do forget that this is the year 2018/2019 - and that we really don't want to see something dated back 30 years ago but something fresh and vibrant.

That you can make use of what we use today - for development purposes. If the machine is capable of doing such updated refreshness present - then why not do it?

If we don't have the tools readily available - then those tools ought to be created - so that creators can jump in and do their stuff - contribute too....

Harvey

• Like 1

Particularly anything that pushes the hardware further - and/or increases the 'fun' aspect in running the old hardware.

Some people do forget that this is the year 2018/2019 - and that we really don't want to see something dated back 30 years ago but something fresh and vibrant.

This is what really excites me, being able to push my Atari past what it was originally developed for. I love getting this old dog to do some new tricks.

• Like 2

I too have reached the limit. I've got basically everything I ever wanted. My closet looks like a computer store from 1984 with loads of new Atari stuff in boxes - backup for my main Atari stuff that's all set up, ready to use.

After years of tinkering, upgrading, connecting, playing with my old computers, I'm starting to lose the interest. I haven't lost the nostalgia, but I've found that just by looking at them (set up nicely as if in a "70's office of the future"), I can get just as much satisfaction without wasting too much time playing around.

(The quote "When I became a man, I put away childish toys" still haunts me... but these are manly toys)

That's right, manly toys, it can be used as a tool in many different ways and not just for entertainment or games. It's just as manly to me as my power tools and motorcycle, but can still entertain me as well as modern PC's, TV's. and consoles that manly men use everyday. Now if you still play with hot-wheels and Star Wars figures that's another thing entirely. Though I could sure still enjoy some slot-car racing and model trains, but again, those, like computers, are for boys and men of all ages.

At the heart of that quote is really about taking care of your responsibilities before you entertain yourself with frivolous things. It does say "put away childish toys" not "get rid of them or throw them out and forget forever and trudge along through life with only the drudgery of responsibility to eventually bore you to death." :P

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Never let anyone tell you that it's not OK to like the things that you like or do the things that you do (as long as you're not hurting anyone else in the process). Life is too short to worry about anyone else's "rules" but your own.

• Like 7

I really can’t imagine getting to the point of turning my stuff into some type of decor or have it degenerate into an exercise of nostalgic consumerism(and I am not imputing anything about others’ collections). Every time I pick up an old issue of Antic I get...ideas, and the threads in this forum are chock full of great projects. It’ll take me decades to explore it all. :)

• Like 1

I have to admit, a lot of the enjoyment has been in acquiring items, fixing some, changing your mind, and basically the pursuit of what you want. I think I'm at a point that I have everything I want. I know I can just sit back and enjoy the hardware, but like most, I seldom have the time to relax. I guess I'll just have to get out of the "what next" mindset and enjoy something we used to have back in the day, free time. I'm about to turn 55 and I'm still pretty sharp, always chasing something whether work or hobbies. Lots of new stuff has come out for the 8-bits in the last few years. Time to dive in and enjoy the stuff. It will take some getting used to, but It's a nice problem to have.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year AA?

And a Merry Xmas to you good sir....

If you ever get bored with it all then send it to me and I'll admire it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really can’t imagine getting to the point of turning my stuff into some type of decor or have it degenerate into an exercise of nostalgic consumerism(and I am not imputing anything about others’ collections). Every time I pick up an old issue of Antic I get...ideas, and the threads in this forum are chock full of great projects. It’ll take me decades to explore it all. :)

I didn't say I turned it into decor. It's set up, ready to use - and I do turn it on and use it. My point was that I don't have to waste my time tinkering because I've done everything that I've wanted to do - and that just seeing it there is comforting. I don't know where you got "nostalgic consumerism" from. I said my closet looks like a store - but it isn't one. (...but maybe... yessss... maybe.. [said while looking at the ceiling and rubbing chin thoughtfully] :-D )

• Like 1

I didn't say I turned it into decor. It's set up, ready to use - and I do turn it on and use it. My point was that I don't have to waste my time tinkering because I've done everything that I've wanted to do - and that just seeing it there is comforting. I don't know where you got "nostalgic consumerism" from. I said my closet looks like a store - but it isn't one. (...but maybe... yessss... maybe.. [said while looking at the ceiling and rubbing chin thoughtfully] :-D )

Um, am I projecting again? :P

And I am certainly defending the term “nostalgic consumerism”. I am on a beach right now, and asking for cogent terms is far too taxing.

I totally understand and relate to your question of, "Now what?" When a large part of the enjoyment is hanging NEW things off the retro gear and making it do things you only dreamed about "back in the day", one starts to ponder what's next. I dread that day myself, when it comes, I may lose interest. To keep 'hope of a better and brighter future alive', I try to come up with new ideas, or new ways to do things with the old equipment.

Good luck in your Atari 8-Bit journey. In the mean time, if you do come up with a new idea, throw it out there, you never know who might pick it up and run it to a touchdown with the next big thing.

When I get bored of doing something on my classic rigs (Apple II and TRS-80 Pocket Computers) I simply stop for a week or so. Then soon enough I find another aspect of them to enjoy. Whether it be programming, restoration, gaming, refining emulation, or archiving/preserving activities, there's always something different to look forward to.

Archiving and Preservation is always interesting because you simply do not know of everything that was out there in the early days. A&P is its own pursuit, and new kind of hunt. Instead of tracking down a known list of titles you're going after the unknown and you are all-but-guaranteed to make new discoveries. And the path is non-linear. You're not stuck watching ebay auctions end. You're not limited to garage sales and Goodwill stores. It's like being given an extra degree of freedom.

And oftentimes playing the role of information archaeologist in the digital era means you can work your own hours & pace. You can instantly segue from one pathway to the next. Sometimes even connecting them in previously unimagined ways.

Exciting times for sure!

• Like 1

When I first got back into this Atari stuff about 3 years ago, I was busy collecting all the stuff I previously had back in the 80's. At first this was quite fun, but after awhile it lost its appeal. Then I started doing upgrades which I found to be more fun then simply collecting. After awhile more, I started to see that certain upgrades were always desirable, so I started thinking wouldn't it be cool to have a system that catered to this, hence the reason for developing the 1088XEL.

What's really great is that I'm able to put into play projects that would have been so cool in the day, but I lacked the tools, money, and other resources that I now have in ample supply. So now when I get bored, I just dream up a new Atari related project. I suspect the fallout from all of this is that it ends up costing other people money, and/or consuming their free time when I release my designs into the wild :) .

Merry Atari Christmas to all.

• Like 3

Get a c64

I do intend to do that too, once I have more room (I'm working on that as I "speak"). Original breadbox style and as old a version of peripherals I can lay my hands on, back when they had the rainbow lines on everything (tags/badges/name strips).

Edited by Gunstar

Yes why not enjoy both . I'm trying to get my hands on an Incognito to make the 800 more useful but it's almost like mission impossible. The keyboard on the 800 feels amazing, reminds me of the Apple 2 plus keyboard. I just can't enjoy typing on my other Ataris after getting the 800.

As for the c64. I would probably avoid the 1541 and go for a 1541 Ultimate+ cart which can also simulate the 1541 . The c64c style is more reliable and I think the case is much more durable than the breadbox style. My case is is getting quite brittle and I need to be very careful with it in comparison to my XL case which is still tough as ever.

Just a word of caution if you're thinking of setting up your XL/XEs right next to your C64. Here are two Futuretronics ( an Australian distributor of Atari and Commodore products in the early days ) power supplies, one Atari vs C64, they look identical... a disaster waiting to happen.

post-45355-0-06067700-1544929702.jpg

I have my 800 set up right next to my c64 so I can never make that mistake.

Edited by shoestring

If he really want to get started on a wild journey, he might want to try the TI-99/4A. Yes, I'm biased, but damn, there are so many different ways to upgrade and expand that machine it's incredible. If you want to see a couple dozen examples, << CLICK HERE >>.

You can go big, you can go small, you can inexpensive and you can drop a bundle, it's all up to you.

• Like 2

Yes why not enjoy both . I'm trying to get my hands on an Incognito to make the 800 more useful but it's almost like mission impossible. The keyboard on the 800 feels amazing, reminds me of the Apple 2 plus keyboard. I just can't enjoy typing on my other Ataris after getting the 800.

As for the c64. I would probably avoid the 1541 and go for a 1541 Ultimate+ cart which can also simulate the 1541 . The c64c style is more reliable and I think the case is much more durable than the breadbox style. My case is is getting quite brittle and I need to be very careful with it in comparison to my XL case which is still tough as ever.

Just a word of caution if you're thinking of setting up your XL/XEs right next to your C64. Here are two Futuretronics ( an Australian distributor of Atari and Commodore products in the early days ) power supplies, one Atari vs C64, they look identical... a disaster waiting to happen.

attachicon.gifIMG_5301.jpg

I have my 800 set up right next to my c64 so I can never make that mistake.

The 1200XL, though mylar instead of mechanical feels even slightly better to me than the 800, both are stepped keyboards which makes a huge difference over flat ones. But I love the feel of the 800 too. But I agree, I don't like the keyboard on the 800XL at all compared to the 800 and 1200. Though if not for them, I'd say it's ok, still far better than XE keyboards I started out on.

I don't recall what the C64 felt like, it's been about 15 years since I owned one for a short time, like several months while restoring it. It was the breadbox style and as I recall it had a pretty decent keyboard. Isn't it stepped too, on the early models?

If he really want to get started on a wild journey, he might want to try the TI-99/4A. Yes, I'm biased, but damn, there are so many different ways to upgrade and expand that machine it's incredible. If you want to see a couple dozen examples, << CLICK HERE >>.

You can go big, you can go small, you can inexpensive and you can drop a bundle, it's all up to you.

Actually, I did already own one of those too, one I made from two salvaged from a dumpster, but it still had damaged brushed metal case, lots of dings and scratches. But was planning on finishing restoring it and start collecting, but it was one of many items lost in the robbery of my storage unit