IGNORED

Fire and Brimstone under work - pls. test

We're dealing with a user who has a tendency to create drama wherever he goes. In fact, he's already been banned from this forum before, and I believe from another. This isn't some "innocent little victim" we're dealing with here.

Yes, the guy can be especially difficult sometimes. He's often defensive and indelicate and self-important. But I don't see how that justifies you swooping in on his thread to antagonize him. As a mod, your role is to enforce policy and adjudicate formal disputes. Your participation here, I am afraid, has been simple bullying.

Yes, the guy can be especially difficult sometimes. He's often defensive and indelicate and self-important. But I don't see how that justifies you swooping in on his thread to antagonize him. As a mod, your role is to enforce policy and adjudicate formal disputes. Your participation here, I am afraid, has been simple bullying.

No, again, I disagree. There's been a fair amount of drama following him around in this forum the last few days, much started by him. I didn't just swoop in and start calling him names, I sniffed out the drama that had already started before I had even seen this thread. I'm not "bullying" anyone here, nor do I plan on starting.

Only 'drama' here is double standards. Same as on all popular English lang. Atari ST forums.

My only 'sin' is that I don't swallow it without words, as majority does. My father was rebel against communistic repression, I'm rebel against this unfairness.

Thank you very much for insulting me all time, and calling me insulter. I don't need this shit.

Alright fine, have it your way guys. I'm stepping down as a mod anyway for other reasons, but have fun.

Sauron, don't "step down", step UP! We are an incredibly small family of people whose passion for the platform makes our time and interactions here an important part of our lives. We have to resist our base social instincts to punish and exile the people who we don't immediately understand or see eye-to-eye with, and find ways to leverage their value while moderating the challenges they present.

I don't pretend that ParanoidLittleMan is blameless in the problems he has had with the Atari community. Even though I have enjoyed and benefited from my interactions with him, I have also read his communications with others and cringed at how little effort he makes at elegance and tolerance. That, however, is the challenge that we face in one another. As a leader, a moderator, you have to be the best of us.

OK got to the point where it asks for disk 2.

Here is the memory snapshot from Steem, Had to rename the sts file to zip for the uploader here to work.

Great ! Don't know when will have time to deal with it further, may happen even today if lucky.

You should not rename it to zip, but pack it in zip archive. For instance with Total Commander that's very easy and fast.

And I meant HAGA statesave (activates with / on Numpad) - that is easier for me to use than Steem STS files - because need to set same path for game files as it is by you, to make it work. Let's hope that my last 2 sentences will be not considered as crying :-D

I will now quote my reply in e-mail to italian guy who offered help in testing my adapts :

"

Hello,Yes, help is always welcome.If you want to play my Cadaver adaptation that's fine. And I think that itis always good to have fun and doing something useful at once. You likeCadaver - playing it is fun. If you verify that it can be played until endthen it is useful for Atari community. If you find some problem(s), that'sagain useful for community - I will fix them, and when it pass anothertest(s) we can consider it verified and put that C in table :-)Other useful thing is to verify is it work on your config. And if there issome problem, we can try to solve it together - sometimes it is on user tocorrect some thing, sometimes it is on coder to do it.So, just play Cadaver on your Atari and write me how it went.   Regards, Peter "

I'm sure that it perfectly fits in this thread.

No, again, I disagree. There's been a fair amount of drama following him around in this forum the last few days, much started by him. I didn't just swoop in and start calling him names, I sniffed out the drama that had already started before I had even seen this thread. I'm not "bullying" anyone here, nor do I plan on starting.

I absolutly agree with pixelmischief!

You simple come and put "oil on fire".

Why?

Great ! Don't know when will have time to deal with it further, may happen even today if lucky.

You should not rename it to zip, but pack it in zip archive. For instance with Total Commander that's very easy and fast.

And I meant HAGA statesave (activates with / on Numpad) - that is easier for me to use than Steem STS files - because need to set same path for game files as it is by you, to make it work. Let's hope that my last 2 sentences will be not considered as crying :-D

Ok, here is the HAGA savestate GS00.TOS zipped up. Hope it helps.

GS00.zip

Yeah, that was big help. Another update done - DL at usual place (may need page refresh in browser) . FBSHA1.TOS is now 17808 bytes, and there is manual too. You will need to play it again from start - your statesave holds old code (complete), so it will not load updated version's code with added 'disk' change functions .

Tried the new version. It now gets to the second level Vanaheim. Unfortunately on the third or fourth screen, there is a grim reaper and he is still able to affect health even with the health cheat on. So I can't get any further. Here is a picture of the enemy.

Vanheim.png

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Yes, I counted on it. This game needs changing (removing health subtraction) code separately for all kind of nasties. So far I made 12 of it. May be that will need some 10 more.

So, only way is that I play levels on second disk too, what will trigger that code, and then I can add changes, Tomorrow, if everything goes fine ...

PLM: Would you be willing to have a live working session? I would LOVE to see how you do this kind of work. I can provide a WebEx that we can dial into and share your desktop. What do you think?

We can arrange it. I need to see first what WebEx is and install it, I guess.

Here is pic how it looks. I need 4K QLED monitor !

FirBrstDskT.jpg

We can arrange it. I need to see first what WebEx is and install it, I guess.

I'll post a link when we're ready to start the meeting and WebEx will install an extension in your browser. When you join the meeting, the system will call you back to join the voice conference. Then you can become "presenter" and share your desktop.

Keep going Peter!

You're adaptions are very good and your support was friendly and first class when i had problems with my Mega STe hard disk drivers, and also when i reported problems with some games. I think you've done a really good job to a few of us who owns Mega STe, and many of your adaptions really breath a new life to many games that were a bit sluggish back in the day.

Sorry i can't test games as much i would like to or give much visible feedback, but i really appreciate what you've done to the ST gamers. People seem to forget sometimes that everything is done for free in people's own time.

There are not many superactive guys in the ST scene, and all these wars makes already small computing platform in Amiga's shadow to die even faster. Basically if expert of one area quits, there's no one to fill the spot usually. So just try to respect each other please, no one of us is perfect and no one of us will never be. In the end this is just a hobby, not a profession :)

Thanks for support folks.

I played levels from second floppy, and they are very hard. So, yes cheat is needed. Added so far 27 new code changes, and even did not finish Nidavellir (second stage of disk 2) .

Without Steem Debugger this would be almost impossible task. I guess that will need to add approx. 30 more to finish game. And I must do it self, because that's the only way to make hero invulnerable against all nasties, traps.

What authors thought by making it so hard ?

For coders, patchers: there is no simple way to find all locations where health is decreased, because they use not constant address, but indexed addressing, where displacement varies.

Thanks for support folks.

I played levels from second floppy, and they are very hard. So, yes cheat is needed. Added so far 27 new code changes, and even did not finish Nidavellir (second stage of disk 2) .

Without Steem Debugger this would be almost impossible task. I guess that will need to add approx. 30 more to finish game. And I must do it self, because that's the only way to make hero invulnerable against all nasties, traps.

What authors thought by making it so hard ?

For coders, patchers: there is no simple way to find all locations where health is decreased, because they use not constant address, but indexed addressing, where displacement varies.

I'm assuming these are all different checks decrementing the health... so why not just re-load that value in the VBlank.... (Haven't played it in 10 years, so can't remember)

I'm assuming these are all different checks decrementing the health... so why not just re-load that value in the VBlank.... (Haven't played it in 10 years, so can't remember)

I saw such solutions. But I will do it traditional way, because then it work better. And there are some traps where player's health is zeroed, for instance, after what comes death immediately, so before V-blank. I still lose more time with playing this than typing all those addresses in S file ...

And ST version seems harder than Amiga v. In Nidavellir Amiga v. key is on floor of hidden room, in Atari v. you need to climb up to pick it - in very stupidly made 'puzzle' . And I still have no clue where 4-th key part is - in Amiga v. it is visible at first pass.

Some mad comments about game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CIVv1usPI

Yeah, I'm making bad advertisement for this :-D

Correction - it is same as in Amiga considering hidden room, but there is something else ... will talk about it lower .

I went thru all levels, saw all enemies and added unlimited health for case of being attacked from any of them (about 60 changes) .

So reached final stage:

firebrmFL1.png

If equipped like on above screenshot you will be not able to pass .

When pass some 4-5 screens of final level you will get your reward: need to go thru all of levels again, just in opposite order :-D

Hopefully final version is at usual place: http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/FIREBRIM.ZIP