IGNORED

Beef Drop sprite hack

TIX

I'd do the same as MrFish has done with Xenophobe, just release a patch file that can be hex-edited in if you already have the cart image. I'd work from the available demo cart image as well rather than the full version, there are far more people with a copy of the demo version. It's probably the same data to change but maybe a different location to patch so you might be able to give both locations.

• Like 1

So the demo version it is !

ok the first thing I noticed, all sprites are 8x16 single color but they seem to have a 2nd layer 4x6 which is in all occasions yellow and it is not editable ?!?!?

It is used for the baddies eyes/egg yolk/chef face, its always in the same position and cant be moved..

Never mind I like working around limitations :-D

see below an example:

post-65-0-78544600-1545131536.jpg

Edited by TIX

So the demo version it is !

ok the first thing I noticed, all sprites are 8x16 single color but they seem to have a 2nd layer 4x6 which is in all occasions yellow and it is not editable ?!?!?

It is used for the baddies eyes/egg yolk/chef face, its always in the same position and cant be moved..

Never mind I like working around limitations :-D

see below an example:

Humm... Never played nor the game but probably I know what it is.

See at the Playing Area if PF3 colour isn't that yellow. This is saying that those are Missiles 2pixels x2 (double width) in 5th Player Mode.

It's like you said: Each moving stuff is single coloured so each is 1Player then each use 1Missile to give the 2nd colour, the yellow.

• Like 1

Yes, it is.

It isn't really yellow that is colour E but a brown orange colour 1 in luminance A.

Just look to the Altirra PrintScreen at the top in Playfield registers the rightest one is PF3 register:

post-6517-0-84935500-1545132438_thumb.png

That is like I said so there's 4 moving stuff possible per line...

EDIT: Hey, and on PRIOR you can see Player 5 is ON.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

a better wiener :P

Frank animation frames complete, I still need to work on the highlights..

Final Frank comparison shot, highlights + minor tweaks to the feet !

I'm not too sure about the highlights in black but you must embrace the limitations.. ;-)

You will notice that in the 1st walking animation frame, Frank has only 1 eye.. this is because of another limitation:

I wanted the 2nd eye to be further out, but I don't have yellow available there.. add a little magic (fast animation) and the brain fills the gap !!

post-65-0-47965400-1545316422.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 3

Final Frank comparison shot, highlights + minor tweaks to the feet !

I'm not too sure about the highlights in black but you must embrace the limitations.. ;-)

You will notice that in the 1st walking animation frame, Frank has only 1 eye.. this is because of another limitation:

I wanted the 2nd eye to be further out, but I don't have yellow available there.. add a little magic (fast animation) and the brain fills the gap !!

His new spots make Frank look a little burnt, which adds a nice touch. Great job!

• Like 1

I have noticed a bug in the game (2005 demo).. the chef animation is faster going right than left :(

It wasn't as apparent in the original minimal animation.. but now it is..

Is it possible that another version don't have this problem ?

* edit * yes the 2004 demo also have this bug..

Progress report:

• The chef, frank and egg frames are ready, only dr. dill left !!
  • I have decided not to animate the chef's hat on the ladder, because the up and down movement is already twitchy.
  • Also I don't think I 'll include the black highlights on frank (too messy when animated).
  • I'm thinking about giving all the baddies an evil eyebrow :-D what do you think ?

post-65-0-42003100-1545472190.jpg

post-65-0-03792400-1545472201.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 5

All done,

here is the release candidate !

chef, frank, egg, dill, all completely redrawn, as close to the arcade as possible.

the eyebrow thing was a joke :P

nevertheless in the introduction of the enemies before you start the game, the egg has a weird eyebrow, which is strange because it uses the same sprite as in-game !?!?!

Try it and enjoy,

let me now of anything wrong..

post-65-0-79153400-1545527984.jpg

Beef Drop hack (rc).xex

Edited by TIX
  • Like 11

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the result !

Unfortunately no idea on how this can be fixed..

I'm pretty sure the 7800 version has the correct speed animation,

thinking of hacking the 7800 rom, so that I can use the extra colors to make the "ultimate" arcade version ;) ???

will see

Edited by TIX