IGNORED

3D Anaglyph Images on the TI99/4A

ewbray

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjWNjAZpt3oLgYlKlZMvUT44A1sQ6g

From the above location, a user can download an Extended Basic demonstration disk (V9T9 format) that I recently created that allows the TI99/4A user to view rudimentary 3D Anaglyph images on their scr
een. These images are "best" viewed from around 4 feet or greater from the screen surface with 3D Anaglyph glasses {Cyan (blue) & Magenta (red) lenses}. Source of 3D Glasses

I found a site on the internet that will convert your 2D images into 3D images for FREE.
https://convertimage.net/.../create-anaglyph-stereoscopic...
Now using Michael Brent's "Convert9918" program http://harmlesslion.com/software/convert9918 any TI99
/4A user can very easily try and produce 3D Anaglyph images for display on the TI99/4A.

I have found that the BETTER 3D Anaglyph for the TI99/4a can be created from a 2D image if the subject of the image is surrounded by a background that is one solid color and that color is lighter that the subject of the image. (e.g. a black & white King Vulture against a white background)

The user can have a variety of graphic manipulating programs from the simple to use 'Microsoft Paint' to the much more sophisticated 'GIMP' to first edit the 2D image before manually converting it into a 3D Anaglyph image as shown in this YouTube tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xFAbX5R84 or running it through an online converter such as the one mentioned earlier in this narrative.

Here is an original 3D Anaglyph image of a King Vulture soaring in the air that appears to be floating in front of your screen when viewed with 3D Anaglyph glasses {Cyan (blue) & Magenta (red) lenses}; on the TI99/4A the resolution is much LESS however the 3D effect is exactly the same.

post-61114-0-70953600-1545065445.jpg

Edited by ewbray
  • Like 3

Interesting! I own a Stereo Realist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist camera and used it a lot for a number of years. For fun, I converted a few to anaglyphs. For the Devil's Tower pic, I used a fairware Mac software, which put a large X in the pic till you registered the program. You can also use Photoshop to create the cyan & magenta colored images, then manually overlay them till you achieve a good stereo effect.

-Ed

post-38786-0-18743200-1545096589_thumb.jpg

post-38786-0-54346700-1545096604.jpg

This is as the King Vulture would appear when converted to be displayed on the TI99/4A! Notice that the resolution can be tinkered with to get a clearer image, however the 3D effect is almost exactly the same as in the original image!post-61114-0-51448800-1545145671_thumb.jpg

I tested viewing this image on my 8 year old granddaughter and she kept trying to reach out with her hands and touch the subject of the image, so the 3d effect is really appealing to the average viewer.

Edited by ewbray
  • Like 1

What a P.E.B., Console, Speech Synthesizer, and Monitor could look like as a 3D Anaglyph on a Ti99/4A...

How about 3D photos of people's REAL TI's? I played with the site you mentioned << HERE >> but have not succeeded in achieving the look of real depth.

The results of my first two attempts from photos I already had are below, maybe when I have time I should try different angles and lighting.

post-35324-0-96334400-1545662948_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-00799500-1545663061_thumb.jpg

Probably not possible, but it would be kind of nice to see a 3D game on the TI, even if it's simple block characters.

It is VERY POSSIBLE and I don't think it would have to be "simple block characters". I have started and outline of an adventure type game that runs out of XB; a XB 3D Anaglyph image takes up 54 sectors on a disk, so you could get up to 26 images comfortably on a DS/DD disk. I am trying to collect a series of dragons, demons, and etc. that have basically one color and not too much intricate detail in their appearance. Using the tutorial that I posted on YouTube the author(s) could produce multi-layered 3D Anaglyphs to add even more depth to the images.

As you can see in the previous example the author(s) can have the 3D Anaglyph images either floating in space in front of the viewer OR the subjects in the 3d Anaglyph can appear to be a small distance away from the viewer; this makes for a variety of 3D anaglyph images that can be presented to the viewer of the many situation(s).

Having a Ram Disk or Hard Drive probably would load in the 3D Anaglyph images a bit quicker, but I don't think loading the images from disk would prove too much of a time delay. With any graphics intensive endeavor [e.g. animated cartoons], it is labor intensive and must be planned out and then executed with great attention to the story particulars.

I might be able to finish my first project by the summer of 2019!

• Like 1

How about 3D photos of people's REAL TI's? I played with the site you mentioned << HERE >> but have not succeeded in achieving the look of real depth.

The results of my first two attempts from photos I already had are below, maybe when I have time I should try different angles and lighting.

The FREE site only produces "Single Layer" 3D Anaglyphs that appears to be floating in front of you.

[i'll let you in on a graphic method of reversing that site's producing projected 3D Anaglyphs]

1.) Use an image manipulating program like GIMP to "flip" your image horizontally; save the "flipped" image

2.) Run your "flipped" image through the FREE site so that it is now a 3d Anaglyph; save the 3D Anaglyph

3.) Use an image manipulating program like GIMP to again this time "flip" your image horizontally; save the "flipped" 3D Anaglyph

4.) View the "new" image and it will now have 'depth of field' rather than be a projected 3D Anaglyph

The YouTube tutorial instructs you how to produce "Multiple Layers" 3D Anaglyphs that have even more depth.

Here are a couple of "Multiple Layered" 3D Anaglyphs that I have produced using the method displayed in that tutorial:

post-61114-0-82976500-1545663688_thumb.jpg Originally photograph taken in February 1967

post-61114-0-65475500-1545663729.png Taken in June 2014

Edited by ewbray

1.) Use an image manipulating program like GIMP to "flip" your image horizontally; save the "flipped" image

2.) Run your "flipped" image through the FREE site so that it is now a 3d Anaglyph; save the 3D Anaglyph

3.) Use an image manipulating program like GIMP to again this time "flip" your image horizontally; save the "flipped" 3D Anaglyph

4.) View the "new" image and it will now have 'depth of field' rather than be a projected 3D Anaglyph

I followed your instructions and I *THINK* I see a subtle difference around the cartridge and the wireless keyboard receiver.

What do you think?

post-35324-0-62889200-1545667927_thumb.jpg

I followed your instructions and I *THINK* I see a subtle difference around the cartridge and the wireless keyboard receiver.

What do you think?

There is a subtle degree of depth in that 3D Anaglyph!

I have found through my experimentation over the years that a four layered or more 3D Anaglyph is the minimal that you want have before the effect is outstanding by the viewer.

In the previous image of the tree stump, it is a four (4) layered 3D Anaglyph; the first layer is the photograph credit in the lower left corner and the lone leaf left on a branch right above it, the second layer is the actual tree stump, the third layer is the tall trees immediately behind the tree stump, and the fourth layer is the wooded area and Lowry Hall (Oglethorpe University) in the background. The stump is on the TI99/4A demonstration disk after being converted into 9918 bitmapped format as an XB program.

In the previous image of my Vietnam unit's gunship patch, it is a three (3) layered 3D Anaglyph; the first layer is the missile coming out of the snake's mouth, the second layer is the actual snake's head, and the third layer is the patch's base with its writing.

Both of these images were originally plain flat 2D images that were converted into 3D Anaglyphs by using the techniques shown on the YouTube video to build up each layer; fairly labor intensive, as it is when manipulating any significant image with a great deal of detail!

• Like 1