IGNORED

Tempest 2000 Bonus Rounds

jguff

I have played this game so many time but never figured out why sometimes the enemies kill you when they reach the outer edge and sometimes they die when they smack into you......

Yeah, I know I should know this.......

Help?

It depends on the enemy. For some, it depends on when you shoot. For others (like the rainbow colored sparks, not sure what they are called), sometimes you can move through them, sometimes you cannot. Best to play as quickly as you can to get the jump power up, then you don't have to worry about getting caught.

Edited by Austin

The melt-o-vision rings bonus stages are very tough. If you haven't played them, they are mirrors of the bacon bonus stages, without the bacon, and the scoring is 'reversed', so if you go through a ring dead center, you only score 250 points.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

That video appears to be the whole game. Which bonus round are you talking about?

If you're talking about the "bacon" stage in the thumbnail, I have literally no idea how you could have avoided it.

Minute 29. Thought i had copied the current time link, but didn't.

Maybe this link will work better:

https://youtu.be/8NVLXA05Lx8?t=1741

• 3 weeks later...

That video appears to be the whole game. Which bonus round are you talking about?

If you're talking about the "bacon" stage in the thumbnail, I have literally no idea how you could have avoided it.

"Bacon" stage? I have never heard of that name for the level. But I have played that level tho. I do agree how could that have ever been missed by the OP!

Oh that's what that is? It's just incorrectly displayed by an emulator?

Can anyone provide a link to a a correctly displayed version of this bonus round?

I'm the original poster. It's been ~20 years since i played heavily, but i don't remember any bonus round other than bacon. Maybe a correctly displayed 'melt-o-vision rings bonus round' video would refresh my memory.

What were the conditions that caused a player to enter anything other than the bacon bonus round?

I wasn't very good at bacon bonus round, probably completing bacon bonus round less than 10 times. If i recall correctly, i always got stuck on level 64, and wasn't good enough at getting to-and-through the bonus rounds to skip past level 64.

Bob

Can anyone provide a link to a a correctly displayed version of this bonus round?

I'm the original poster. It's been ~20 years since i played heavily, but i don't remember any bonus round other than bacon. Maybe a correctly displayed 'melt-o-vision rings bonus round' video would refresh my memory.

What were the conditions that caused a player to enter anything other than the bacon bonus round?

I wasn't very good at bacon bonus round, probably completing bacon bonus round less than 10 times. If i recall correctly, i always got stuck on level 64, and wasn't good enough at getting to-and-through the bonus rounds to skip past level 64.

Bob

The bonus rounds alternate every 16 levels. So, basically, each time there is a music change/level color change, you'll encounter a new set of bonus levels. The first 16 stages will have the rings w/bacon. Stages 17-32 will have a green track bonus level set. Stages 33-48 has the melt-o-vision rings, and as I stated in an earlier post, the scoring and patterns are reversed here. Then, stages 49-64 is another set of green track bonus levels. And so on...

From what I can see in the video, it does appear that the melt-o-vision rings aren't as 'melty-melt' as the actual hardware. It looks much easier in that video of emulated gameplay. When you play it on a Jaguar the meltovision is very pronounced and it's pretty easy to get lost.

Definitely have never seen that bonus round.

Like i said, i always got stuck on level 64, so i probably wasn't that good at game. I would play from level 1 as well, intentionally not completing warp/bonus round, so i could garner as many extra lives as possible for level 64.

Thanks for links,

Bob

• Like 1