IGNORED

Why do you Love the Vectrex?

adamchevy

Purchasing a Vectrex is Expensive! Right? I’ve had to sacrifice consoles and computers to afford the purchase of a Vectrex. Maybe your rich and you have everything you want? That’s awesome for you, please paypal me some of your spare cash. Anyway, I recently came back to the Vectrex for a 3rd or maybe 4th time. Each time it has been a bit more expensive. It was really Vector Patrol that brought me back this time. I also really missed Minestorm and Hyperchase. It’s really not the same for me in emulation. I also really enjoy the overlays. I know it’s lame, but having an overlay is something special to me for some reason. I also really like the Vectrex community. One of the reasons I sold my Vectrex last time was the little 9 inch screen. It turns out thats all I need for my Vector Graphics. In today’s world of giant and cheap screens it does feel small. But it’s also amazing! It’s hard to imagine not having one really.

Edited by adamchevy

Childhood memories of playing with my dad is the main reason. I didn't even remember what it was called until a few years ago when I searched it up. Now I enjoy the community and all of the homebrews. It seems like the best games and controllers are being made right now. It is very expensive and I've spent more on Vectrex the last year than on Switch and XBox combined. At least games hold their value and if/when my system ultimately breaks down if I don't want to invest in another system I can probably get my money back.

• Like 2

Childhood memories of playing with my dad is the main reason. I didn't even remember what it was called until a few years ago when I searched it up. Now I enjoy the community and all of the homebrews. It seems like the best games and controllers are being made right now. It is very expensive and I've spent more on Vectrex the last year than on Switch and XBox combined. At least games hold their value and if/when my system ultimately breaks down if I don't want to invest in another system I can probably get my money back.

That’s a really nice memory. I’m giving my kids those same memories. Hopefully they don’t remember me telling them to be careful that’s expensive to often. I am also very competitive when it comes to high scores with my 12 year old(my oldest). It’s a fun console to have these days to play with your kids. None of there friends have usually ever seen or heard of one before. I need to invest in a nice back up system, so one day I’m not sad.

Sharp graphics. Excellent controller. Great sound. And original games that really did feel like Vectror arcade titles.

Personally, I enjoy the Vector experience. Sure it's not filled in to the n'th degree. But that is part of the magic. The magic being the Vectrex gives you eye an catching experience while also leaving your imagination to fill in between the vectors.

• Like 2

Sharp graphics. Excellent controller. Great sound. And original games that really did feel like Vectror arcade titles.

Personally, I enjoy the Vector experience. Sure it's not filled in to the n'th degree. But that is part of the magic. The magic being the Vectrex gives you eye an catching experience while also leaving your imagination to fill in between the vectors.

It really does have an excellent controller. I recently purchased a couple Rad Pad controllers. They are very nice, but the analog stick is to tall for me. They must have done a lot of research to come up with not only a very functional controller but one that can also be concealed within the body of the Vectrex itself.

I agree with filling in between the Vectors. That screen is my favorite screen to game on period. If my wife would let me, I would bring it on Christmas vacation this year.

Edited by adamchevy

I was curious about it as a teenager. Didn't actually play it much when I could finally afford it as an adult.

What re-kindled my love for it was a friend ported one of my Atari 2600 games to it. I'm not accomplished enough for that to happen!

New games. Amazing developers. Great enthusiast base! What's better than that?

• Like 1

I was curious about it as a teenager. Didn't actually play it much when I could finally afford it as an adult.

What re-kindled my love for it was a friend ported one of my Atari 2600 games to it. I'm not accomplished enough for that to happen!

New games. Amazing developers. Great enthusiast base! What's better than that?

https://youtu.be/7ppVWE3ez-o

That looks like a great game. Where can I purchase a copy?

the appearance of the actual visuals can't be emulated, 3d imager is amazing (though frustratingly limited use for the stupid high price)

Yeah the last one I bid on went over $1k. That’s craziness. The Madtronix website is back up and has them for $100, which is an awesome price. If only he/she would reply to my emails!

Same here (loooove analog controls). I didn't own one as a kid but a friend did (we all pooled our resources, I had a 2600, he had a Vectrex, other friend had a 5200 and an Intellivision) and I remember loving to play it. I'm an old arcade games fan, late '70s-mid '80s, and my favorite games are almost all vector (Tempest, Star Trek, Space War, Space Duel). Of course since my luck sucks that means that there are far less vector games than rastor and only one vector home console available. Still, the games are all great, the arcade ports are near-perfect and the homebrew scene is amazing now (couldn't believe Battlezone was finally available!). Like a previous member who posted, one of the best aspects for me is the color overlays, I will always pay extra for a boxed game with an overlay.

The Vectrex really feels like a shrunk-down arcade cabinet. Just wish a real trak-ball and paddle controller was available for it. The Vectrex, to me, is sort of like arcade version of those scaled-down gas engines that people make, a few are even put in scaled-down cars (and a biplane?) -

http://www.fornbill.is/myndasidur/miniature.html

• Like 2

With the amazing Stramashzone out now, has there ever been a homebrew of a really close Asteroids port? That would be a dream for me!

PS, why I love Vectrex is because I love vector graphics, and that portable screen. I've always loved it, always will. Wish there were more qualified guys out there to service them, though.

Edited by atarilovesyou

I've made a few hacks that support Atari track-balls. A paddle controller is easy to build too and would work with any game that uses analog controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ypdkZRPeo

That’s awesome! I hope you will release your Trak Ball games on a cartridge like your spinner carts, because the VecFever has turned into a precious metal called unobtainium

With the amazing Stramashzone out now, has there ever been a homebrew of a really close Asteroids port? That would be a dream for me!

PS, why I love Vectrex is because I love vector graphics, and that portable screen. I've always loved it, always will. Wish there were more qualified guys out there to service them, though.

The latest VecFever firmware update allows you to directly emulate Asteroids...

• Like 3

That's the multicart? I have yet to pick one up...any links on youtube or anything? Thanks for the info!

That was the Multicart. Only about a 100 were made and they were all sold before they were announced for the most part. Hopefully someday they will do another run.

There also was a micro sd cart called the VecMulti. But it is also out of production and doesn’t look like it will be returning any time soon .

Your best bet is to get a Sean Kelly Multicart 3.0 off of eBay or his website.

http://www.vectrexmulti.com/

Edited by adamchevy

Thanks! Just did some quick reading on that VecFever.

The Multicart 3.0 is what I'll be going with, but it's preloaded, right? I can't add any roms to it? A nice package with a bunch of homebrews, at that price it looks to be great value. But still would like the option to expand it.

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 1

Thanks! Just did some quick reading on that VecFever.

The Multicart 3.0 is what I'll be going with, but it's preloaded, right? I can't add any roms to it? A nice package with a bunch of homebrews, at that price it looks to be great value. But still would like the option to expand it.

It’s all preloaded. Their isn’t a way to expand it. We really need to get a petition thread going for the VecFever.

Correct. The Sean Kelly Multi-Cart is preloaded. There is an update possibility when the next version of the load comes out. But it's a chargeable update accomplished by the creator. And you must return the Multi-cart back to Sean for the update to be made.

There is another limitation with the current (and previous) hardware of SK Multi-Cart. no RAM on the cartridge. So games such as Animaction needing the extra RAM will not work and are not currently included in the software list. But then this is already know and indicated on Multi-Cart web site.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish John Dondzilla was still around. He was a good guy and made some great games besides. He just up and left.

I got my first Vectrex in the 90s and it was in the box and had a Star Castle cartridge in it. I loved that game as a kid and there were no home version other that a Mac version and I didn't have a Mac that could play it. Aside from being the only console version of it, it was an excellent port. I played the shit out of that game! Dondzilla has a number of really good games too.. I especially liked Trackers. He gave me a better version of Asteroids. I really liked Protector too, along with YASI which is on the same cart.

The vector screen just cannot be reproduced with emulation. Games which are done well in vector graphics look awesome!

• Like 2