IGNORED

Twin stick project for Total Carnage

grips03

Thought I would share a Twin Stick I'm building for myself.

The control panel (top of the twin stick) is cut by SendcutSend.com. They do a great job and I highly recommend them. This is 18 gauge, which you have to email them to request. Otherwise their website lists 16 gauge.

Inside controller is pad hack. Outside arcade stick is used Hori Saturn stick from Japan via eBay. Buttons and joystick are Seimitsu.

Buttons are 24mm screw-in, sticks are LS-33s, LB-30 balltop. Labels inside buttons are stickers from Amazon.com

Stock keypad is under mounted with the sides shaved so it fits flush. Make sure to leave the keypad centering pins and enough material to bolt to. Keypad uses stock overlays. I increased the hole size around the keypad from the first version of this controller so its less of a drop off than when the opening matched the size of the keypad. Also added little circle cutout to make it easier to remove overlay.

db15 connector is extended on several wires in order to make it to the cable exit port in the center back of the case.

Ribbon cable works very well to connect to buttons and joystick. Notice I reused the Jag's keypad pcb.

Most holes are countersunk using a drill. I do have a control panel overlay coming in the mail, but if someone wants to make a Total Carnage / Jaguar CPO that would be great to have printed. 280mm wide x 180mm tall would be perfect.

One Red button for Option, another for Pause. The right most red button is a second C button for bomb, makes it easier to hit while playing.

Going to try LS-62s, with LS-56 spring and Octal gate to see if improves control.

I'll be adding rapid fire, for use with Raiden.

post-27883-0-03820500-1545264545.jpg

post-27883-0-28833900-1545268456.jpg

post-27883-0-99077700-1545268461.jpg

• Like 10

This is really cool! I've been considering building my own rotary controller, but maybe I'll do something like this and add a rotary control to make one Jaguar stick to suit all my needs.

Are you still considering developing a rapid fire kit for the Jaguar? It would be cool to incorporate it as well.

EDIT:

I just read that you'll be adding rapid fire at the end of your post, so just disregard my question. :)

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 1

I have a skunk, but never used it so far. Seem like you need to install a couple of programs to get it to work. So figured I would try over the holiday break.

Software and docs for the Skunkboard here: http://harmlesslion.com/software/skunkboard

I had no success getting it working with Windows 10 - until I read about using the Zadiq installer mentioned here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259064-test-if-a-skunkboard-is-present/?p=3738066

When I used that, it installed perfectly and worked immediately.

• Like 1

Awesome project. I've only fired up Total Carnage one time. Is the Jag port programmed to allow for a twin stick scheme?

The second stick needs to be wired to the number pad. That way you can fire in all directions. When I had Total carnage I got used to using the keypad, but it is not comfortable. Once I played it with the two stick layout on the Xbox midway arcade set I had a hard time going back to the jaguar for this one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made some changes.

Added Pause and Option button to top

Moved joysticks .75 inches in (closer towards the center) from the previous position.

C and B front / side buttons. C near Fire stick and B near movement stick. So you can bomb and skip when playing Total Carnage more easily.

Made keypad opening slightly smaller. Forgot to add screw holes for keypad so need to add those back in the Fusion 360 file :)

Did not like 8-way gate for movement, sort of sticks in those locations, not smooth. 8-way gate for fire helps.

Did not like Seimitsu LS-62-01 sticks, so went back to LS-33. LS-62 or really any of the LS-56 type sticks can rub. However grinding the shaft is possible to make those no longer rub.

When countersinking the holes, its best to use a piece of wood underneath and drill on that. That way the countersink stays centered in the hole you are countersinking. If you don't then the countersink bit can wobble in the hole and won't give nice circular shape.

post-27883-0-78725500-1546632104.jpg

post-27883-0-71675700-1546632937.jpg

• Like 5

I'm still waiting for the red Atari buttons. When I get them I'm going to switch to black balltops. I'll also remove the labels from inside the buttons as the control panel is labeled. Maybe could be made a little bit better but its pretty good as is.

post-27883-0-21603800-1547657920_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-49731100-1547657932_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03
  • Like 4

I would like to thank Leonardo Biagi for the excellent CPO!

I've sent it off to be printed. Anyone else use a CPO printer, good experience?

Sorry for the dumb question - what is a "CPO printer"? I searched the googles, and only got certified pre-owned info.