IGNORED

FZ-1 laser replacement, help needed

unite

I picked up a cheap FZ-1 a while back on ebay as a spares repairs unit with a suspected dead spindle motor but I'm fairly sure its actually the laser that's dead. Discs don't spin but as I understand it the motor won't spin up unless the laser sees a disc and since there is no infrared light coming from the laser it ain't going to see much.

Anyway this is the stumbling block. Getting a new laser seems next to impossible. I've ordered a SF92.5 11/4 pickup but its the type with the long cables so needs modified to work on the 3DO but I have found some conflicting information as to what to modify. Initially it seems as just the 4pin ribbon needs modified to but I have since found information on a russian forum that suggests its the 11pin cable that needs modified.

So....

The 4 pin cable is to wide to fit in the connector on the 3DO. Can I simply cut this down to suit? I'm waiting for the pickup to arrive but from pictures it seems the same but with wings on the sides, could I just cut these off?

The 11 pin cable does anyone know if it needs modified or if it will work as is? I've seen that a blob of solder on the ribbon needs removed (no problem) but the information from the russian forum suggest that the pinout is incorrect.

I've also seen people suggest it is better to take both laser pickups to bits and make 1 good working unit from the cradle of the bad pickup and the laser of the good one. Not sure about this though, it might go a bit above my soldering skills.

The 3DO looks very nice sitting on my shelf but it would be even nicer if it work! Any help would be greatly appreicated.