IGNORED

800XL PAL

hueyjones70

I recently bought a non-working 800XL. The non-working was caused by bad memory chips. It turned out to be a PAL version. I only get black and white on my monitor even when I use composite for chroma. I haven't hooked up the chroma line yet. Will it give me color? What differences will exist between the PAL and a NTSC computer during normal use.

All games that rely on vertical blank interrupts for timing will appear to run about 13% slower on PAL compared to NTSC. (50 vs 60 hz)

But PAL machines can run a lot more of the hardware intensive demos that primarily originate from programmers with PAL hardware that don't, or barely work on NTSC timing.

chroma on the PAL 800xl is not connected, there is a mod you can do to sort it tho. Here is a guide to make SVideo work that refers to it:

It would all depend on your MoBo revision. In general terms, all you need to do is:

1. REMOVE C56 capacitor (if present). This will dramatically improve sharpness and "edge"-definition.
2. Lift C54 right-hand side, preferably by inserting an on-off switch (if you want to preserve composite out). This will almost COMPLETELY remove vertical banding (present on Luminance-Y signal).
3. Solder Chroma-signal wire from R67/R68 junction, to chroma pin in video port. This will enable the missing chroma-signal on the 800XL (the majority DO NOT have it enabled). No need for pick-up resistor (of any kind).

THAT'S IT.

I hooked up the chroma circuit and I still only get black and white.

I suppose your TV set does not have PAL decoding built into it then (strange, as I was under the impression that until recently pretty much all of the modern TV sets come with a triple-standard video input decoder (NTSC, PAL, SECAM), as here in Europe they all had one, e.g.: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/6a3a15bd