IGNORED

Lynx Funky Xmas demo

enthusi

Hi everyone,

PriorArt wishes you a "Funky Xmas 2018" ;-)

Find attached our little christmas-card demo featuring my new audio engine and of course Jammer's great tune making use of it.

(the zip file contains a full .LNX rom).

3 channels only since this routine is going to be implemented into our game project "Lacim's Legacy" and I want to keep a 4th channel completely free for SFX (yes, could be mixed but I prefer it this way :).

Diving into Lynx audio was quite some endeavour and I thank in particular sage, karri and lx.net for sharing their experience and sources.

This would all sound lame and bad if it wasn't for Jammer and his technical skills composing within funny restrictions.

This routine plays at 60Hz (so once per frame). You can press button 'A' to toggle on/off individual channels.

No samples involved :) The awesome santa clause animation is by Bruno Moraes.

Enjoy and a wonderful christmas time to all of you,

enthusi & Jammer & all of PriorArt

FunkyXmas.zip

FunkyXmas.o

post-28604-0-89664100-1545381810.png

• Like 8

Diving into Lynx audio was quite some endeavour and I thank in particular sage, karri and lx.net for sharing their experience and sources.

This would all sound lame and bad if it wasn't for Jammer and his technical skills composing within funny restrictions.

This routine plays at 60Hz (so once per frame). You can press button 'A' to toggle on/off individual channels.

No samples involved :)

very cool.

can you please elaborate issues you faced with sound part? If I'm not wrong that part of Lynx isn't well documented.

All instruments use the waveform generator. No direct writing to the audio out. I only update registers (when needed) once per frame. Instruments are mixing timers/waveforms/volumes... I am traveling now, but I can provide more Details later. The song has about 17 instruments. They take about 400-500 Bytes in total(!). The non-intuitive part with Lynx audio are the results of the feedback register settings. In the end I learnt the most based on the emulator sources around and wrote an own code to generate and vosualise the wave forms. I verfied it with Chipper and actual recordings I made from real Hardware. What also needed quite some experimenting was the behavior of resetting registers or timers in midplay.