IGNORED

Best boxing games that _aren't_ in the Punch-Out series.

mbd30

Wow beat me to it. As soon as I saw the cut off, 4D Boxing came to mind as I put good hours on that one along side of Stunts in the old DOS days. And for an oddity no one is likely to list but played pretty well was Caeser's Boxing on the CDi of all things. I don't even remember why I had it, but I did, and it was played and I kept playing it so it must have been alright as i don't remember hating it or shelving it.

Holy cow! I rushed into this thread thinking, "I'd better write in 4D Boxing before this all gets filled up with console titles..." but immediately noticed that four people had "beaten me to the punch." :P

I grew up w/the version of 4D Boxing published by EA, only to discover years later that Mindscape had published a slightly different version, 4D Sports Boxing, with alternate soundtrack, etc. A great game indeed, and it comes in two "flavors!" BONUS.

Also, my best friend had a copy of Boxing Legends of the Ring for SNES, and we had some fun times with that one, clobbering the hell out of each other.

Edited by DeathAdderSF

Also a big fan of 4D Boxing.

Other titles that I've enjoyed are Activision's Boxing on the 2600, Greatest Heavyweights on Sega Genesis and Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road to Glory on PS2.

An amazing game. I think I imported the Japanese version of that; actually, which was a lot of effort for me back then.

• Like 1

I liked Wade Hixton's Counter Punch for GBA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Hixton's_Counter_Punch

But Boxing Star is better than anything.

http://www.433.co.kr/kr_boxingstar/

I'll second the recommendation for Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, that game was awesome! I never could beat the final boss but the rest of the game was great. :)

The Ready 2 Rumble series is pretty fun for an arcade-style experience. And I did like the Fight Night series for something a little more realistic, although unless I checked out of the series too early, I don't think they ever *quite* got the balance between "realism" and "fun" just right. I always wanted a little more depth than it actually had, given that it was trying to be more than a game like R2R or Punch Out. But still, it was fun to play for a while.

• Like 1

Speaking of aging poorly ...that reminds me of how wow'ed I was when I first saw "4-D Boxing by Electronic Arts!" I cant imagine that looks great in the light of 2019.

Yeah. 3D polygonal graphics were still a novelty when that came out. Not so much anymore.

On the other hand, the large character sprites in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out still look good today. There's so much personality in the animations, etc.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1