IGNORED

Tower of Rubble (2600, DionoiD)

Dionoid

We'll be featuring Tower of Rubble LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Tower of Rubble (2019 WIP Update) by Dion Olsthoorn aka Dionoid
- Penult (2019 WIP) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G
- One on One (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP) by John Von Neumann aka Vhzc

[EDIT] UPDATED WITH ARCHIVED SHOW:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 5

Great game but it's harrrrd :-D

I suggest to add 3 bonus jumps, triggered by fire button, useful to make a big jump when necessary (for example to jump 2 or 3 blocks aside)

Thanks! I'm planning to make some changes so that the difficulty slowly ramps up. I got some helpful feedback at yesterday's Zeropage Homebrew stream.

• Like 1

I will enhance my suggestion:

Based on the adjacent block height delta, the chances for a column should vary. E.g. a column which sticks out two blocks left and right has a lower chance than a column which doesn't stick out. The larger the height differences down left and right, the lower the chances. And if the adjacent columns are higher, this will increase the chances of a column. The chances should never be zero, because then there might be situations where the player can stay on top of a high column for a very long time without any risk.

Alternatively you could calculate the average column height and increase the change for columns below average and decrease above average.

That way the columns will grow more evenly and there will be less unfair situations. And you by changing the chances, you can ramp up the difficulty.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

Cool casual game !

I wonder if this is a feature or bug: if I fell down, by a cracked wall, he didn't grab any ledge when falling down. (although there was a ledge below).

Cheers,

Devwebcl

Your character will only grab ledges while falling if you leapt in the direction of the ledge.

Indeed, ledges will only be grabbed when you face the direction of the ledge. So when you're standing on a sinking wall, make sure to face the blocks next you to, as these will become a ledge as soon as the wall sinks into the sea.

If this doesn't work in your case, then there's a bug somewhere. Please describe exactly what happens, so I can track down the bug :-)

Edited by Dionoid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:44 AM, geistchapel said:

Any idea when we are going to be getting the update with 2 players for this? I kind of stumbled on this and I'm hooked! I have not broken the 100 block mark yet though...:-(

Great to hear you like the game!

I want to release a beta of the '2 player vs' mode by end of July. In this 2 player mode you cannot pass each other, which means you can block the other player. E.g. you can prevent the other player from climbing the ledge that you stand on, and by falling down from a ledge you can crush the other player.

The player who dies first, looses.

Also the game is going to be an 8K rom (using bank-switching), because the current 4k wasn't enough to hold the logic for the 2-player modes and the extra graphics and sounds I want to add to the game.

For the cartridge version of the game, I'm thinking about adding an additional '2 player co-op' mode, where you can work together to get the highest score. If you die, you can respawn as long as the other player is still alive.

Cheers,

Dion

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I want to release a beta of the '2 player vs' mode by end of July. In this 2 player mode you cannot pass each other, which means you can block the other player. E.g. you can prevent the other player from climbing the ledge that you stand on, and by falling down from a ledge you can crush the other player.

The player who dies first, looses.

Any chance of a 1 player v.s AI version of this mode? :)

• Like 2

This is damn impressive and it's still a WIP.

I was about to post a long rant about how this game is so addicting but ultimately frustrating.  I could not break 100 points after lots of play. Most of my time during game play was spent watching what was happening and then make one or two moves, if there was even any option. I was going to say this game sure has low interactivity for being such a short game.

But then I watched ZeroPage Homebrew's video and learned how to move across the 2 block gaps. Thanks a ton James and Aerlan! This really changed everything.  The game is still difficult but my frustration from having a limited number of moves went away.

As you can see below, I'm doing better now.

For those of you who don't know how to get across 2 block gaps, the time stamp for the explanation on ZeroPage's video posted above is 40:20.

tor2600-NTSC-v0.3_0005e77d.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Big Player said:

But then I watched ZeroPage Homebrew's video and learned how to move across the 2 block gaps. Thanks a ton James and Aerlan! This really changed everything.  The game is still difficult but my frustration from having a limited number of moves went away.

As you can see below, I'm doing better now.

For those of you who don't know how to get across 2 block gaps, the time stamp for the explanation on ZeroPage's video posted above is 40:20.

You're welcome, that's what we're here for! ?  Glad to be of help @Big Player!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Since there is no video, I have to ask. How is this different than "Save Mary"?

14 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Checkout Zeropage Homebrews (Twitch and YouTube), they have played a WIP some months ago.

Here you go @atari2600land, the action starts at 43:09!

(Set video to 1080p60 for full quality!)

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:00 AM, Nathan Strum said:

Any chance of a 1 player v.s AI version of this mode? :)

Excellent suggestion, Nathan. Work in progress... 

In the coming release this "player vs. AI" will be disabled, as I want to keep that feature exclusive to the cart release.

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.d66f485e0e3b7e04f5833cb3e87ca536.png

• Like 6