IGNORED

Tower of Rubble (2600, DionoiD)

Dionoid

We'll be featuring an EXCLUSIVE NEW WIP BUILD of Tower of Rubble that includes simultaneous multiplayer LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Tower of Rubble (2019 WIP Update) by Dion Olsthoorn aka Dionoid
- Atari TOS (2019 WIP) by TwentySixHundred
- Robomechanik (2019 WIP Update) by Krzysztof Kluczek aka KK/Altair

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.28ca3fbaf33e414787b1e6cf55dc878f.png

A new version of Tower of Rubble is now available. This is the exact same version that was demoed at the AtariAge booth on PRGE 2019.

New in this version:

• Two player simultaneous mode! (press the 'select' button until '2 player vs.' appears in the middle of the screen)
    Players can not pass each other, so you can block the other player in order to get him/her squashed by a falling piece of pebble or one of the laser beams ?
    The first to score 10 points, wins!

• The game now slowly ramps up, so in the beginning you're always able climb neighboring blocks (thanks to @Thomas Jentzsch for the tech suggestion).
    And: the higher your score, the more difficult it gets!

• The game ROM-size increased to 8K (using bank-switching), as I need the extra space for two-player mode (including player-vs-AI) and things I'll be adding to the game in the future (extra sound fx and text).

I'm open to feedback/suggestions, especially on the two-player mode!

Download the latest v0.4 version from the original post here:

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, PaultheRoman said:

I hope this is still being worked on. I played the latest version and it's really cool!

Thanks! Glad to hear you like the game.

Yes, this game is still very much on my radar. Actually I'm working on two games concurrently; this Tower of Rubble and a remake of a well-known game where you run for lode of gold ?

• Like 4

On 10/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, Karl G said:

It looks great, and I'm looking forward to getting this on cart. 

Have you thought about also having an option for two player mode that allows players to pass one another? 

Yes, I even experimented with allowing players to pass each other. However, I wasn't happy with the result, as there was no interaction between the players anymore (i.e. blocking and strategic positioning). And also when the players moved into the same tile, the graphics looked weird and it was hard to distinguish the blue from the red player.

However there's going to be an 2-player AI mode (you against the CPU).

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Tower of Rubble for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1155482389_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestWIPHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.049b8c5d11679b545ed02e421ea4beb0.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring the EXCLUSIVE FINAL RETAIL VERSION of Tower of Rubble LIVE on tomorrow's (Sunday April 5) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

New version 0.9 was just released. Get the rom files from the original post here: 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286275-tower-of-rubble-2600-dionoid/

New in this version:

• Besides pushing 'up' to climb a block of pebble, moving your joystick left/right in the direction of the block will now also climb it.
  • Allows to revert climbs up/down a ledge halfway through the animation.
    This helps when you start to climb a ledge, but quickly want to go back because of falling pebble.
  • Game now starts showing an actual tower, instead of a flat surface.
  • Added high score
  • Sound effects on intro/practice screen
Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Final version 1.0 was just released!

Get the roms from https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286275-tower-of-rubble-2600-dionoid/

New in this version:

• Somewhat brighter colors in the PAL version, to better match the colors of the NTSC version
  • In a single player game, the different laser beams now appear in a predefined order and location!
    To ensure the game is playable till the end, I played the game for >4 hours in the Stella emulator until the score rolled (9999). I didn't count the number of times I died (it was a lot!!).
    By using Stella's time machine feature, I could rewind the game right after I died, and in all cases could prevent getting killed by either doing my move earlier, climbing up instead of down, running left instead of right, or doing the “long wall jump” across a gap a bit earlier or in the other direction.
Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Final version 1.0 was just released!

Get the roms from https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286275-tower-of-rubble-2600-dionoid/

Now that you've released 1.0, do you want to add its info to the Stella properties database?  If so, send along the relevant info: ROM name, manufacturer, release date, any other notes, etc.

Congrats on the 1.0 release! I'm looking forward to getting this on cart. :)

If it's not too late for changes, I would personally prefer that there would be an option to keep the old random behavior. I think having it be deterministic would lead me to memorize the correct "dance moves" instead of thinking strategically. 

• Like 1

With random (hadn't tried 1.0 release yet) I could never get past 96 I believe. Going to see if I can do better with this release. Maybe there should be an option to change from random to memorized via a switch on the console?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Karl G said:

Congrats on the 1.0 release! I'm looking forward to getting this on cart. :)

If it's not too late for changes, I would personally prefer that there would be an option to keep the old random behavior. I think having it be deterministic would lead me to memorize the correct "dance moves" instead of thinking strategically. 

Thanks! At the moment we're working on the manual text and artwork for the cart; it's going to be really cool.

About the random vs. predefined positions and occurrences of the laser beams: I understand your concern, but I found that only in the beginning (up until around 100 seconds) I'm able to sort of "recognize" situations, while I still have to position myself strategically on the tower and respond to the laser beams constantly.

After 100 seconds, it gets very hard to memorize situations, while it is probably still possible if you play the game more often.

And IMO the benefits of a predefined game are:

• Everyone plays the same game, so it's fair to compare high scores (as everyone got the same laser beams in the same order)
  • There is guarantee (by me!) that it's possible to survive on the tower until the score rolls (9999 -> 0)
  • It's easier to help people solve a particular situation. Like someone in this thread was saying that he/she couldn't get past a score of 96; now it's possible to provide some guidance there, as the situation at score 96 is known exactly.
  • If you want to break the high score, you could try to memorize difficult situations where you should maybe make a counter-intuitive move. E.g. at 392 seconds you have to jump to the small island on the right, because on the big island there will be no escaping the laser beam (just making this up, by the way :-)

Anyway, just have a go with this version and please let me know if it works for you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Anyway, just have a go with this version and please let me know if it works for you.

Oh, I'll definitely be trying and enjoying the new version.  ? I understand the benefits of having deterministic games, too. Ideally, there would be an option for either random or deterministic if there's room to do both.  If not, I still definitely plan on picking this one up!

28 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Oh, I'll definitely be trying and enjoying the new version.  ? I understand the benefits of having deterministic games, too. Ideally, there would be an option for either random or deterministic if there's room to do both.  If not, I still definitely plan on picking this one up!

I could add an additional "1 player hard" mode, in which the beams are random and there's no difficulty ramp up. Does that make sense?

• Like 4

Thanks! At the moment we're working on the manual text and artwork for the cart; it's going to be really cool.

About the random vs. predefined positions and occurrences of the laser beams: I understand your concern, but I found that only in the beginning (up until around 100 seconds) I'm able to sort of "recognize" situations, while I still have to position myself strategically on the tower and respond to the laser beams constantly.
After 100 seconds, it gets very hard to memorize situations, while it is probably still possible if you play the game more often.

And IMO the benefits of a predefined game are:
  • Everyone plays the same game, so it's fair to compare high scores (as everyone got the same laser beams in the same order)
  • There is guarantee (by me!) that it's possible to survive on the tower until the score rolls (9999 -> 0)
  • It's easier to help people solve a particular situation. Like someone in this thread was saying that he/she couldn't get past a score of 96; now it's possible to provide some guidance there, as the situation at score 96 is known exactly.
  • If you want to break the high score, you could try to memorize difficult situations where you should maybe make a counter-intuitive move. E.g. at 392 seconds you have to jump to the small island on the right, because on the big island there will be no escaping the laser beam (just making this up, by the way :-)

How do I get past 96? [emoji16] I played for quite a bit last night and the center island falls apart and I have no way to get to the side islands. Wracking my brain on this step but I'm sure I'm overlooking something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk