IGNORED

Tower of Rubble (2600, DionoiD)

Dionoid

1 hour ago, Prizrak said:

How do I get past 96? emoji16.png I played for quite a bit last night and the center island falls apart and I have no way to get to the side islands. Wracking my brain on this step but I'm sure I'm overlooking something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, I also can't past 96. When the sides of the island get separated, the bricks never fill in the join them back to the center. Don't remember that happening in earlier versions. Still a great game, but now the patterning is more obvious.

I tried the new version, and it is working great! Oddly though, I can't get it to work on my UnoCart, even though a previous version works fine on there. Maybe this should be a bug report for the UnoCart instead of this game, but it may be useful for other people to know in meantime (it works fine on Harmony).

Looking forward to the cart release!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I could add an additional "1 player hard" mode, in which the beams are random and there's no difficulty ramp up. Does that make sense?

Yes.

Personally, I find it very hard to choose between predetermined or random behaviour. I really like that every step in the game can be referenced by timecode. Different 'paths' can be explored and easily explained. The predetermined behaviour indeed provides a 'standard game' where scores can be compared. Also it creates the illusion that the game world is, in a sense, real... But on the other hand, it would be a shame not to include the random (or dynamic) option, which gives you a unique experience everytime you play. I'm not always determined enough to go through the same first 100-something steps again everytime I die. There's a difference between "Maybe this time I'm gonna make that jump" and "Maybe this time I won't have to make that jump". And there's a mood to fit each of them.

Fantastic game/adaptation by the way! Really love the animation, controls, music and challenge!

Edited by MLdB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, radiohead said:

Yes, I also can't past 96. When the sides of the island get separated, the bricks never fill in the join them back to the center. Don't remember that happening in earlier versions. Still a great game, but now the patterning is more obvious.

2 hours ago, Prizrak said:

How do I get past 96? emoji16.png I played for quite a bit last night and the center island falls apart and I have no way to get to the side islands. Wracking my brain on this step but I'm sure I'm overlooking something.

There are three basic rules I go by that will pretty much allow me to play forever (if I'm paying attention). You can check them out in the playthrough video I posted earlier in the thread. They are:

• Get to the highest place you can, falling down is much faster than climbing up
  • Face the direction you intend to go to in case something falls on you, it will save you a TINY bit of time when moving
  • Jump to the new smaller islands on the side ONLY when there are at least three accessible blocks you can go between when you get there

Also, it's really important you master the wall hang jump as you'll usually need it to get to the side islands.

Can't wait for this to come out on cart @Dionoid, it's an insta-buy for me!

- James

• Like 2

The more I think about it the more a set pattern works and is a really good idea ?  I guess there are some randomness in all games but I like your thinking with this!

I also think adding the extra random mode for the masters is a great suggestion to really finish off the game.

Great stuff!

• Like 2

There are three basic rules I go by that will pretty much allow me to play forever (if I'm paying attention). You can check them out in the playthrough video I posted earlier in the thread. They are:

• Get to the highest place you can, falling down is much faster than climbing up
  • Face the direction you intend to go to in case something falls on you, it will save you a TINY bit of time when moving
  • Jump to the new smaller islands on the side ONLY when there are at least three accessible blocks you can go between when you get there
Also, it's really important you master the wall hang jump as you'll usually need it to get to the side islands.

Can't wait for this to come out on cart [mention=63708]Dionoid[/mention], it's an insta-buy for me!

- James

James, thanks for the pointers and it sure does make a difference! I'm really getting the hang of it. This is one of my top games lately next to Aardvark. I have decided I like the predictably of where each block drops and it let's me set up my next move.

Any chance of adding high score storage to Atarivox/Savekey?

2bb3c739ad111b950f7a5e9f0e0e240f.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/20/2020 at 5:43 PM, Prizrak said:

Hang on the ledge and jump! Hope this helps

Captura de tela em 2020-04-21 23-38-55.png

Captura de tela em 2020-04-21 23-40-24.png

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 5:49 AM, Prizrak said:

Any chance of adding high score storage to Atarivox/Savekey?

15 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just wait for the cart release. :) 

Indeed the cart release is going to have Savekey/Atarivox support.

And it will also allow you to pause the game using the PAUSE button (Atari 7800) or the COLOR/BW switch (Atari 2600).

Just something extra for the folks who buy the cart ?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, Karl G said:

Oh, I'll definitely be trying and enjoying the new version.  ? I understand the benefits of having deterministic games, too. Ideally, there would be an option for either random or deterministic if there's room to do both.  If not, I still definitely plan on picking this one up!

Great feedback.

Added to version 1.1:

• Introducing the new "1 player pro" mode, where the beams are random and there's no difficulty ramp-up; complete chaos right from the start ?
  • In two player mode, the number of seconds passed are now shown at the top of the screen. The score (e.g. "2 - 3") is shown when one of the players dies.

Get the rom from https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286275-tower-of-rubble-2600-dionoid/

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow random pro mode, absolutely killer. So much in fact that sometimes there is no where to go to be safe from the blocks or the lasers when the game starts. Great update, this has been a favorite game of mine for a while and love to see all the new changes in the last week.

The Pro mode is incredibly deadly and so random! I can see why you made sure there was a pattern for the normal game as this one lasts anywhere from a couple of points to a couple of dozen points. It certainly keeps you on your toes and makes you take some risky moves that usually don't pay off. ? Great update!

- James

• Like 1

@ZeroPage Homebrew interviews Dion Olsthoorn/@Dionoid (Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble, Fool's Gold) at PRGE 2019!

At long last, here is my interview with Dionoid from last year at Portland Retro Gaming Expo where I talk with him about his newly released Atari 2600 homebrew Amoeba Jump, upcoming Tower of Rubble and new projects on the horizon! Enjoy!

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...