IGNORED

Shark Jaws +

winkdot

Merry Christmas!

This game is loosely based on a very old arcade game called Shark Jaws. Released by Atari under the name of Horror Games, originally released in 1975. I added stuff to it, thus the +

You are a diver that is trying to catch fish and avoid everything else.

There is one life. If you die, you start over.

After you catch 10 fish, a new level appears.

Avoid the shark.

Avoid the walls, they tear up your wet suit.

Keep an eye on your oxygen, if it runs out, you die.

To replenish your oxygen, go to the top, but avoid all walls.

There will be a warning when you get low on oxygen.
Avoid the Coral tree.
Avoid the mad puffer fish.

At a later stage a killer sub will show up, avoid it.

If you find bugs, please post here. I did this pretty quick so there should be some.
I realize the shark is not pixel perfect on collisions. Your advantage :)
If you die, the fish will be easier to catch (for a while), it's random.

Happy New Year!!!

version .02 updates:

Added deadly coral tree - avoid
Added puffer fish - this mad puffer will chase you. Avoid it.
Code speedups and clean ups.
Some graphic changes.
I do not have screen shots of this version - If you want please post some.

.03 update

tiny graphics updates
scanline 262 fixes (looked good to me. Tried it on the Retron 77 with no issues.
Contains version .02 updates. I have removed version .02 bin because of issues.

.04 update
Some code cleanup
Minor graphic changes

.05 update

Some minor graphic changes

I added sound to the diver movement. Not sure I like it. Tell me what you think.

post-7911-0-88921900-1546187048_thumb.png
post-7911-0-87989900-1546187068_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-85031000-1546187095_thumb.png

Good luck and have fun!

shark-jaws-plus-01.bin

shark-jaws-plus-03.bin

shark-jaws-plus-04.bin

shark-jaws-05..bin

Edited by winkdot
  • Like 10

It has some fun potential, but there are a few issues:

• The "walls" in the first wave just look like islands on the horizon to me, so it's not obvious why you die. I kept dying immediately when I first tried it before even knowing where I was on the screen.
  • Multiple lives would be better, IMO
  • I haven't tried it on real hardware yet, but Stella shows it regularly going over 262 scan lines

Yes, I noticed this too while playing the new version of the game, the first version was good in that it didn't seem to stray from the 262 lines.

I was planning on playing the game live on the January 9th ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream but it'll have to be rock solid at 262 or else the screen will have dropouts on real hardware. I'm sure you'll have a new version by then though. :-)

• I haven't tried it on real hardware yet, but Stella shows it regularly going over 262 scan lines
  • Like 1

Yes, I noticed this too while playing the new version of the game, the first version was good in that it didn't seem to stray from the 262 lines.

I was planning on playing the game live on the January 9th ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream but it'll have to be rock solid at 262 or else the screen will have dropouts on real hardware. I'm sure you'll have a new version by then though. :-)

That's great man. Love the show. Hope to catch it.

Should be solid scanlines now. Worked great on my Retron 77. Funny, it actually played beter on the Retron than it did on 6.0 Stella. Stella had blurring of some of the fast moving sprites.

Little background on what this game this is based on. I have tried to jazz it up a bit.

Of course it was never made for the 2600. Not sure why. Unable to secure license? So so game appeal? No idea.

More wiki info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_Jaws

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick update, it's much more stable now and should be playable on real hardware. The game only jumps twice away from 262 lines when it starts up and when you press the fire button for the first time, those should be a quick fix. Once you're past that, it seems solid.

Thanks for the background information on the game, that will be very useful when discussing it on the show!

That's great man. Love the show. Hope to catch it.
Should be solid scanlines now. Worked great on my Retron 77. Funny, it actually played beter on the Retron than it did on 6.0 Stella. Stella had blurring of some of the fast moving sprites.
Little background on what this game this is based on. I have tried to jazz it up a bit.

Of course it was never made for the 2600. Not sure why. Unable to secure license? So so game appeal? No idea.

More wiki info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_Jaws

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Thanks for the quick update, it's much more stable now and should be playable on real hardware. The game only jumps twice away from 262 lines when it starts up and when you press the fire button for the first time, those should be a quick fix. Once you're past that, it seems solid.

Thanks for the background information on the game, that will be very useful when discussing it on the show!

OK, Ive been going crazy trying to clear the 262 red line in Stella. Finally i ran lots of commercial games under Stella 6.0. Everyone of them had the red 262 flash. Stella bug? This was at the initial load of any game.

Edited by winkdot
  • Like 1

You can probably ignore the red 262 flash at the initial load of the game. You're right, a lot of other games do that as well in Stella when you load them. I haven't yet programmed a 2600 game so I can't speak from authority on this and I'm not sure it's an issue with Stella but you probably have to put in a bunch of effort to make sure to have a 'stable' 262 line picture immediately after turning on the machine. Sometimes there is a lot of setup to do before the first thing on the screen is shown and maybe a frame or two will slip by while that's happening resulting in the red flash.

I'm doing some testing today of some other games so I'll pop yours in my Harmony Encore and make sure there's no game breaking issues and report back! :-)

EDIT: Just tried it on my system (RGB modded light sixer + Harmony Encore -> Framemeister) and it played without dropping out the picture. There was a slight blip when starting the game for the first time, as expected, but it didn't roll the screen so we're good to go for the Jan 9th broadcast.. :-)

OK, Ive been going crazy trying to clear the 262 red line in Stella. Finally i ran lots of commercial games under Stella 6.0. Everyone of them had the red 262 flash. Stella bug? This was at the initial load of any game.

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Starting to look really good !

I didn't mind the diver sound, as an alternative, try a sound that alternates on and off but gets faster as you run out of air / time.

Thanks. Will never look as good as your Tyre Trax game. That is one beauty of a game and really fun to play. Looks like you have figured out the location of sprite collision with NUSIZ on. I need to figure that out.

I have an oxygen warning if you get so low at the oxygen bar currently.

Downloaded the latest version. I didn't know of the arcade version but your 2600 version is fun to play.

Thanks much. I never played the arcade game. Never saw one. I did play it on Mame. Don't remember any sound. Not sure why they didn't make a 2600 version. License problems? Jaws time had passed? So So game play appeal? Likely will never know.

Thanks. Will never look as good as your Tyre Trax game. That is one beauty of a game and really fun to play. Looks like you have figured out the location of sprite collision with NUSIZ on. I need to figure that out.

I have an oxygen warning if you get so low at the oxygen bar currently.

Thanks, I had a lot of guidance and help from time to time on these boards. I hope you keep going with Shark Jaws, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

We'll be featuring Shark Jaws + on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this Wednesday on Twitch at 11AM PT/2PM ET 6PM PT/9PM ET (UPDATED TIME)! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:
Dare Devil (2019 WIP) by Muddyfunster
Chaotic Grill (2018 WIP Update) by splendidnut
Shark Jaws + (2019 WIP) by winkdot
Snow Flakes 2018 (2019) by Lolkiu64
Tumble Temple (2019 WIP) by bluswimmer

EDIT: UPDATED WITH VIDEO OF SHOW

post-37205-0-17137000-1546929283_thumb.png

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

Awesome!!!

We'll be featuring Shark Jaws + on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this Wednesday on Twitch at 11AM PT/2PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:
Dare Devil (2019 WIP) by Muddyfunster
Chaotic Grill (2018 WIP Update) by splendidnut
Shark Jaws + (2019 WIP) by winkdot
Snow Flakes 2018 (2019) by Lolkiu64
Tumble Temple (2019 WIP) by bluswimmer

attachicon.gif20190109-Let's Play.jpg

attachicon.gif2600-Shark Jaws +.png

AWESOME!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...