IGNORED

2600 Basic Programming without Keypads...

ewomack

Hello,

Way back in the wild late 70s and early 80s, I never did get my hands on a pair of Keypad Controllers to try out the Basic Programming cartridge. For some reason, and despite the cartridge's obvious limitations, I would still like to try it out, if for anything historical curiosity. Is it possible to use Basic Programming on an emulator without Keypad Controllers?

If not, would I need two 2600-daptors to accommodate the Keypad Controllers to USB? I'm hoping to try Basic Programming with as little acquisition as possible, but I know fate sometimes deals cruel hands.

Thank you!

On an emulator? I'm sure it just uses the ten key (number pad) if your computer has one. If not, you can buy a stand alone keypad. I've got one and it works well for my needs. You may need to set the buttons on the emulator though, that will depend on your emulator as how to set it.

In Stella, the default setting for all 24 buttons are on opposite sides of your computer keyboard...

1 2 3

Q W E

A S D

Z X C

for the left controller, and

8 9 0

I O P

K L ;

, . /

for the right controller.

These buttons correspond to these functions listed on the overlays:

http://www.atarimania.com/2600/boxes/hi_res/basic_programming_color_pal_cart_5.jpg

Notice that 21 of the buttons have 4 functions each (depending on the color of the cursor when you press them).

The remaining buttons (, . /) each only have 1 function.

• Like 3

Fantastic! I opened Stella and used the keys mentioned above and things were actually happening! So apparently I don't need the keypad controllers or anything fancy to finally experience this program, which seems fascinating because of how it worked around the limitations of its platform. I've wanted to play with this "game" for years but, as a kid, I couldn't justify the expense of the extra controllers, though I often stared up at them amongst the cartridges on the Atari game shelves. I'm also happy to hear this was a Warren Robinett project. The genius of Adventure also took on BASIC. That's astounding!

Thank you for the info!

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 1