IGNORED

Pop band Duran Duran playing Atari Gravitar

Kombalar

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, Zoyous said:

I recall them being regarded by some people as something of a dumb boy band back in the day, but listening to them now, they're quite a unique and talented band.

That's how they were marketed.   But unlike most boy bands that are assembled for looks and personality,  DD were a real band first and foremost.  John Taylor is an amazing bass player who rarely gets his due because people associate them as a boy band.

Yeah, I think they arrived with perfect timing as MTV surged in popularity and they had the image really dialed in. I think that kind of stratospheric success is a double-edged blade because you become ubiquitous yet most people aren't really listening and appreciating the skill (e.g., you get played in grocery stores but no one is rocking out to it as they grab their frozen peas).

What a coincidence. I was never much of a DD fan back in the 80's, too poppy for me.  But I recently posted on facebook about how the song "Ordinary World" showed amazing maturity on their part and ends up being very relevant in these pandemic times.   Now, it's like I'm rediscovering them again for the first time and I'm liking what I'm hearing more 30+ years later

• 2 weeks later...

Been a fan since the 80's and am not a "boy band" fan.  They had some pretty good deep songs which were over shadowed by some of popular pop hits.  They def had some of the best videos :).

The Wedding Album (Ordinary World) was one of their best.  It brought a whole new crowd to the band who still tours.  I never saw them in the 80s but have seen them 5 times since the 90s.  They put on a good show.

Ironically my kids heard the Paper Gods song and liked it along with some of their friends.