retroclouds

Stevie ("TiVi") Development Thread

We, you, us. Need a good bank switching routine. Even if it's a 2K move or whatever, something that takes our input address, a buffer size and a way to switch in/out of it by altering a variable..lol

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Very cool. Would it be possible to save a file back to the Github?

Short answer; no.

Due to the complexity involved I don’t see it happening. Unless using the tipi for doing all heavy lifting.

Long answer included below.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/308551-dx10-home-computer-software-development-system/?do=findComment&comment=4596872

7 hours ago, retroclouds said:

Short answer; no.

Due to the complexity involved I don’t see it happening. Unless using the tipi for doing all heavy lifting.

Long answer included below.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/308551-dx10-home-computer-software-development-system/?do=findComment&comment=4596872

I was indeed thinking of the tipi doing all the work, but unfortunately I don't have a good understanding of the underlying work involved in such a task. It would have been so awesome though because then the documents created with STEVI could be backed to the Github with no fear of local hardware crashes and loss of data...

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I was indeed thinking of the tipi doing all the work, but unfortunately I don't have a good understanding of the underlying work involved in such a task. It would have been so awesome though because then the documents created with STEVI could be backed to the Github with no fear of local hardware crashes and loss of data...

Connecting the TI via the TIPI to cloud storage, e.g. Google Drive as I have done in JS99er.net, would probably be quite simple, but connecting to git via the TIPI would require a much more advance API than a DSR to be useful. You would have to be able to resolve merge conflicts, for instance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vorticon said:

If you are thinking more about backup and local data loss of files created and edited on the TI-99/4a, then there surely are other solutions to the problem that do not require git or github.
I've put it on my "mental" to-do list for Stevie. Could imagine having a Stevie plugin that controls a (still to implement) service on the tipi

20 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Connecting the TI via the TIPI to cloud storage, e.g. Google Drive as I have done in JS99er.net, would probably be quite simple, but connecting to git via the TIPI would require a much more advance API than a DSR to be useful. You would have to be able to resolve merge conflicts, for instance.

How does one access Google Drive with the TI and TIPI? That would work just as well.

8 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

How does one access Google Drive with the TI and TIPI? That would work just as well.

In JS99er I'm using the Google Drive HTTP API, and the TIPI software on the RPi could possibly do that as well, but perhaps there is an out-of-the-box solution where you just map a directory on the RPi to your Google Drive? Anyway, it's probably better to discuss that in a TIPI thread.

42 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I guess it would be nice to have a function on the TI end to tell the Pi to 'git pull' or 'git add, git commit'. In case of any merge conflicts, abort and you'd have to login to the PI anyway. That's still useful.

I guess Stevie can open the txt as DF128? no DV80 involved? so native format CRLF and all? Then write back to a TIPI disk as native format?

For other editors,  If the file conversion was managed,  I would be happy with a step where the file lived on the PI volume, and I used cmd-line login to the PI to use git.

I could imagine a git wrapper on the PI that kept both TXT and DV80 versions. It converts the whole TXT directory over to DV80 TIFILES after a pull. It converts the whole DV80 TIFILES directory to the TXT directory before a commit/push.

How I use gitlab now:

I currently edit on a PC, assemble with xas99, 'make' into a dsk image with xdm, test in Classic99, commit to Gitlab on the PC command line.

So, no DV80 files in that flow. However, with some TIPI in the mix, I could usefully switch back and forth from PC to 4A for any debug/edit/commit cycle.

At the very least, I commit the dsk image to gitlab, so it could be pulled onto the TIPI from the cmd line.

(but right now  I am still loading it onto a CF card with Ti99dir, then using 4A+CF7+. I fried my TIPI with 12V.)

Not asking anybody else to write software! If I get my TIPI fixed, I'll try to write that git wrapper (I already wrote a nice DV80 extractor in C)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

Not asking anybody else to write software! If I get my TIPI fixed, I'll try to write that git wrapper (I already wrote a nice DV80 extractor in C)

I just went through an exercise of using VBA Excel to write DIS/VAR 80 files out to the PI so the TI/Geneve could read it with the TIPI.  On the TI side of things, the DSR does the heavy lifting of writing the files out to the file.  On the PC side of things, one has to write out the 128 byte TIFILES header with the appropriate sector length/record counts.  And, then, you must have the records stay within each subsequent 256 byte block with each record having a line length byte.  Finally, the final record must be terminated properly.

Anyways, just saying there is some code involved.  I have VBA macro code in my FileCreator spreadsheet for the AfterHours BBS source that showed my logic.  Basically, each sector was a 4 line x 40 character max input so that for each file record/description, it took one sector.  For 3000 files, it took 3000 sectors.

It is likely you already know what I mentioned, but if not, at least my VBA Excel logic is in that spreadsheet if it would help you if you decide to write something turns something back into a DIS/VAR 80 file.  I'm sure my VBA code could have been improved, but it works for my test case...…...

Beery