IGNORED

PLaystation 1 launch Versus 2nd gen.

peedenmark7

My beloved original PlayStation took a dump last year and I've been dragging my feet trying to get it fixed. I'm guessing the CD motor is bad as I get some weird cd screen I don't think Ive ever seen otherwise.

Long story short, I did some reading at that time and see that there are 2 versions of the original , one with RCA cables, and another with what some say is a cheapened up version, with just an integrated serial type cable .

Can't find anyone to fix mine , nor can I find the part to do it myself. I purchased a mint like new 2nd version and it works fine, what gives ?

Are parts available to fix mine ?

thanks and Merry Christmas !

P7

You can replace the drive motor, which has the added benefit of carrying a new laser lens with it (another common issue with the PS1). They're not that expensive, but I haven't tried to actually do it so I don't know how hard it is. Probably not that hard.

People were a little nuts about those early PS1's with the regular RCA output, but there's nothing particularly special about them vs. the revision with the proprietary connector. At the time, RCA cables were like $2 while the proprietary Sony cables were like $29, so that was a big reason why people wanted the original model during the changeover. But the original model is horrendously unreliable - it's the one people used to have to turn upside down to keep it working for a while longer before failing like yours has. Though maybe if you replace the motor assembly, it'll be ok longer term.

The models you probably actually don't want are the ones from the next revision onward (ie. the third model onward), which removed the expansion port. That port was used for cheat devices back at that time but it's still useful today for all sorts of things, like playing imports and "backups" (always loved that term). So if you do just replace your console, I'd just make sure it's one with that port. And I'd probably actually look for the revised system with the proprietary port, because they seem to be more reliable. And today the proprietary PS1 cables are probably less expensive than a decent set of RCA cables.

• Like 1

Hmm, I had better check to see if the replacement I picked up has the expansion port, [don't think so] works great and one of that damn yellowing.

I've read so much over the years that I can't keep it all straight anymore !!

The only thing I really play on it is the 989 Hockey games and Ridge Racer, I have tons of games I bought new, just never got around to doing anything with them

If anyone can point in the right direction to get a new motor ,it would be much a[p[appreciated.