IGNORED

Stella 6.0 released

stephena

To borrow a phrase from another medium: "A Work of Art Is Never Finished, Merely Abandoned"

Since Stella isn't a 'job' in the normal sense, you are right; it will never really be finished, until such time that nobody chooses to work on it.  I guess that's true for most open-source software.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stephena said:

It's not surprising that there might be 'strange' behaviour in multi-monitor setups.  I personally don't have such a system, and hence have never tested in this scenario.  Going forward, it seems that multi-monitor is becoming more common, so I guess we will have to look into that kind of setup.

Seems like almost everybody on the planet wants to do everything on a smartphone these days and wouldn't use a normal computer if you paid them a million dollars, so it's weird when you hear about people using more than one monitor. Pretty soon you'll only be able to see PCs and monitors in museums. :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Seems like almost everybody on the planet wants to do everything on a smartphone these days and wouldn't use a normal computer if you paid them a million dollars, so it's weird when you hear about people using more than one monitor. Pretty soon you'll only be able to see PCs and monitors in museums. :D

In my field at least (education and software development), almost everyone has a two (or more!) monitors on their desk.  I've been meaning to upgrade to a multi-monitor setup at work; this is just the excuse I need.  Just ordered one about an hour ago :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

The PC is an exercise in tedium. The underlying technologies of PCs like filesystems, where your data is stored, the concept of device drivers, and even "installing" software -- is all too complex. And backups? You mean you have to do backups? No one need worry about ANY of that on a smartphone. And crap Windows10 makes it all that much worse. I find myself tolerating that OS at best.

A Windows 10 computer can and does waste time multiple times a month (week?) conducting updates. Not so on a smartphone, you get 1 update every 4 months or so. And you get a preview and a change log. And it takes all of five minutes tops. And the process is so trouble-free I wouldn't mind it happening more often if necessary. But the current frequency is just fine.

Build your product correctly and the only updates needed would be for new features. 

Updates on a PC are an exercise in tenseness and even horror, what will break next? What setting us going to revert or toggle without you knowing? I recall just recently that a Win10 updated REQUIRED thousands upon thousands of users to buy a new Wi-Fi card because of a driver fuckup that they refused to fix.

And just recently they had a problem that a certain documents folder wasn't nested correctly all your user data would go away after the update.

And, besides, smartphones JUST WORK. It'd take me all of 30 seconds to send a photo to anyone, anytime, with smartphone. On the PC? Forget it. You have to have camera and USB drivers setup just right. Make sure all that connectivity is operating. Understand drag'n'drop email attachments, know where your data is stored and how to import it into a mail program, all the while using a browser and OS that changes how it looks and operates every year.

No thanks. And that overly smug "..we're configuring xyz.. Please wait.." Is annoying and totally un-necessary. You're not doing a goddamned thing except making my life a miserable hell.

So, Stella development should focus on the here & now and leave the PC in the past. It's time has come and gone.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, almightytodd said:

The Stella emulator will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world...  ...oh wait, I think that's Disneyland...

The Atari emulation is excellent but the area that needs to grow is CRT Television emulation, eventually including all of the ideosyncracies in NTSC.

The 2600 is unique in that it directly programs the electron beam racing across the screen in real time thus awesome effects still undiscovered are possible, and many racing the beam effects that have been discovered we can see captured on video shot off of CRT that have yet to be emulated.

I agree with Keatah the defaults should stay unchanged - particularly all prototype CRT emulation settings (merge frames, TV Effects and phosphor) should be turned off by  default while still under development; some of these were turned on by default on Stella 6 for the Retron77 thereby breaking some bundled games.  

• Like 2

Some few years ago I was outlining and putting together all that'd be needed for modeling the beam and how it interacts with the phosphor and glass. Per pixel. As part of learning how to program a GPU. None of this subtractive mask crap so often used as filters.

Maybe when the 2nd or 3rd gen of rtx cards come out I'll revisit.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 5:49 PM, Random Terrain said:

Somebody has to create all the of content that these people are now consuming in ever-increasing amounts; and if you are any kind of content creator (Software developer, 3D Modeler, Web Designer, Video Editor, Music Composer, Digital Artist, etc. etc.) you will definitely want at LEAST 2 monitors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jstick said:

Somebody has to create all the of content that these people are now consuming in ever-increasing amounts; and if you are any kind of content creator (Software developer, 3D Modeler, Web Designer, Video Editor, Music Composer, Digital Artist, etc. etc.) you will definitely want at LEAST 2 monitors.

I use a 32" 4K monitor at home for all my development (I have some eyesight issues so I need a high-res and large monitor).  So I've never really looked at two monitors, since 3840x2160 resolution is high enough.  But you can't really test multi-monitor issues unless you have the real thing.  Extra resolution isn't the problem; it's how the OS behaves with more than one screen.

My work computer is a 27" 2560x1440, and I just ordered another monitor to compliment this.  Thanks to the Stella-thon for providing the funds to allow me to do this :thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jstick said:

I'm a content creator as well and when I'm not playing videogames, I'm a filmmaker, and I have three monitors attached to my computer for film editing and screening etc..:

- 34" 3440x1440  21:9
- 27" 2650x1440 16:9
- 46" TV 1920x1080 16:9

13 minutes ago, stephena said:

My work computer is a 27" 2560x1440, and I just ordered another monitor to compliment this.  Thanks to the Stella-thon for providing the funds to allow me to do this :thumbsup:

Hooray!! ? ?

On 9/2/2019 at 1:10 AM, Keatah said:

Emulators, these days, should be developed to 4K minimum standard. 

The upcoming 6.1 release will have support for HiDPI monitors, whereby the UI is scaled to 2x (or more) when necessary.  I absolutely needed to add that, else I could barely see the fonts in the UI on a 32" 4K screen.

On August 30, 2019 at 7:56 AM, almightytodd said:

The Stella emulator will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world...  ...oh wait, I think that's Disneyland...

As far as preserving the playability of most VCS games, I consider Stella complete. Sure there's still presentation and user-interface issues. But then again what emulator doesn't have its quirks.

3 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

It would be interesting to see a list of what items aren't in Stella yet.  The list can't be very long.  Off the top of my head I can think of the Coleco Kid Vid, maybe the CompuMate.

See https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues.  There are some bugs there, but many of the enhancement issues are the stuff that's missing.

In terms of core stuff, we're probably 95% done.  Most of the rest are various 'nice to haves' that we'll get to eventually.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...