IGNORED

My XEVIOUS Review... Best 7800 shooter?

gorfcadet

I never got into Xevious but I really enjoyed the video. It was informative and the perfect length for these types of reviews. As far as shooters for the 7800 go, Centipede (if that counts) is my favorite. I'd probably go with Galaga second.

Especially with the co op multiplayer. I just usually put Centipede in its own category of awesome. :)

@gorfcadet Great game!This game took a lot of my quarters back in the day. Enjoyed your video. Cheers!

Thank you for the kind words! :) And yeah, it syphoned a lot of my quarters too.

One day we will be able to save our scores!

So ready for that! :)

One day we will be able to save our scores!

So ready for that! :)

Regarding high score saving under Xevious, it is the only title from the original line-up which also features a melody playing in the background while the entry is being added.

It can viewed @ ~4:55 mark in the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1v1JZR6LU

• Like 1

The only issue I have with the video is doesn't show the Rally-X flags or the Sol Citadels. Even today, there are players that played in the past that don't know about those.

That's a good point. I found multiple citadels and one flag, but somehow missed using them in the footage. Maybe I'll upload a video spotlighting a few locations of those often missed bits.

• Like 1

You should mention that four flags that are on a random horizontal line and you can bomb the flags once uncovered for extra points.

Wait.. You can bomb the flags? You have to fly over the flags to get an extra life. Are you confusing the flags with the citadels that you have to bomb to uncover, then bomb again to destroy?

No, you can bomb the flags for extra points. It doesn't destroy them if that's what you're thinking. In fact, you can bomb them one or two more times. This works for the arcade version too.

I'll have to try that! I never heard of this one!

Of course finding the flags is tough.

I'll have to try that! I never heard of this one!

Of course finding the flags is tough.

TIL

I knew there was buried stuff, but this is Next Level. :-)

-----

It would have been amazing to have Xevious as a 2P co-op mode ala Centipede. Is that possible as a hack or homebrew?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great production as always! Nice praise for a great game.

Check your facts though. Xevious for the 7800 was released in 1986. You’ll notice the original 1984 copyright date on the title screen. I think this may have been an original Warner-era test market release in 1984 as well.

I know. I'm just going by the release date Al has on the info page for the game. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I've had folks tell me my dates are off before, but I wasn't sure if I should trust the title screens or AA's release info.

http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=716

Thanks for the praise. This week is Crossbow and I really had fun playing that one. Now I need to buy a light gun!

• 1 month later...