IGNORED

My XEVIOUS Review... Best 7800 shooter?

gorfcadet

7800 Xevious is so sweet. I love the hardest difficulty mode- I think it might be the only Xevious version that lets you dial it up to that intensity, including arcade..? I'll watch the vid tonight!

Yeah, and it's the reason this is my favorite port. The harder difficulties really make the game shine.

• Like 1

Xevious is fantastic! I have it as my #2 shooter available on the 7800 though.

A case could absolutely be made for number 1. But the sheer arcade intensity of PLUTOS puts the top down scroller at the top spot. (I don't consider Centipede a shooter btw. - agree it's in a category of it's own! Still great!)

Also - it's two players! That kind of ratchets up the replay factor.

Here's my top 5:

1. Plutos (music would have made it an all time great! Is there a way to re-release with in-game music?!)

2. Xevious (a scrolling Galaga...amazing title and port on the 7800)

3. Galaga (classic)

4. Desert Falcon ("Zaxxon" in the desert...a 7800 original and a shamefully underrated title)

5. Sirius (graphic and game audio achievements aside, it has it's issues. Still, a better than average side scrolling shooter to fill that hole in the 7800 library)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my top 5:

1. Plutos (music would have made it an all time great! Is there a way to re-release with in-game music?!)

2. Xevious (a scrolling Galaga...amazing title and port on the 7800)

3. Galaga (classic)

4. Desert Falcon ("Zaxxon" in the desert...a 7800 original and a shamefully underrated title)

5. Sirius (graphic and game audio achievements aside, it has it's issues. Still, a better than average side scrolling shooter to fill that hole in the 7800 library)

It's a bit of an irony that a console with a bunch of average ports (speaking only of the originally released library) had a very good shooter lineup. Centipede is the best home port of that game ever, especially with two player co-op. The Asteroids port is top notch too.

WHen you add in all of the homebrew stuff like Moon Cresta, Space Invaders, Meteor Shower, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, Astro Blaster, Scramble, Super Cobra, Astro Fighter.... well, the system really has a great 8-bit shooter lineup now. But out of all of them, Xevious is still my fav. It's the reason I got one for xmas back in the day.

• Like 2

The biggest issue this game has is that it's so damn difficult. But it sure looks cool

It is at first. I just found out it doesn't stay that way.

The first level, when you're not powered up is murder... but if you can last long enough to get fully powered up you can blaze through the other levels fairly simply. I'd never gotten past the first and then I got to the end on the first try. It's one of those games where if you die with full powerups, just start over. There's no point. Definitely needs some rebalancing, but it's a very good shmup.

• Like 1

It is at first. I just found out it doesn't stay that way.

The first level, when you're not powered up is murder... but if you can last long enough to get fully powered up you can blaze through the other levels fairly simply. I'd never gotten past the first and then I got to the end on the first try. It's one of those games where if you die with full powerups, just start over. There's no point. Definitely needs some rebalancing, but it's a very good shmup.

Really. Wow thats very interesting.

Ive never made it to the end of the first level, though I didnt know until recently that the difficulty switches matter pretty significantly for this title, & Ive been playing in the more advanced setting.

If it gets less insanely challenging, and balances out after Level 1, then Sirius might jump a few spots up my rankings!

Really. Wow thats very interesting.

Ive never made it to the end of the first level, though I didnt know until recently that the difficulty switches matter pretty significantly for this title, & Ive been playing in the more advanced setting.

If it gets less insanely challenging, and balances out after Level 1, then Sirius might jump a few spots up my rankings!

Yeah just pattern memorize the first level so you can get powered up, then you can steamroll most of the rest of the game. If you die though, ANY spot you are in is just murdertown, so hit reset, get powered up, and try again. It's a lot like the old Gradius games that way.

Strongly disagree. desert falcon is very OVERrated. It's just not fun. The setting is unique, but the graphics are muddy, making it hard to navigate. Really bad game.

...Desert Falcon ("Zaxxon" in the desert...

Strongly disagree. desert falcon is very OVERrated. It's just not fun. The setting is unique, but the graphics are muddy, making it hard to navigate. Really bad game.

I disagree on both. :-D

Under Desert Falcon, although the view perspective is "Zaxxon", the gameplay approach is different. Zaxxon is a ship at a continuous speed/pace. In Desert Falcon with the bird, there is a lot of 'stop and go', landing, and hopping, in addition to picking up items on the ground, such as power ups and point bonuses. Item pickup order matters too, which adds another layer of depth to the gameplay.

Trying to play the game like Zaxxon, is what caused me to dislike the game. Once I approached the game tactically different, it became one of my favorites. ;)

However, it is completely understandable for someone to dislike the game, or find difficulty in maneuvering. Of course, it would not be fun for them under those circumstances; also, different strokes for different folks. "Muddy" graphics, though? :?

That something, I just don't see. If anything, just the opposite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijBPCm2VhZE

:ponder: :)

• Like 2