IGNORED

Turmoil clone (multicolor sprites)

PeteE

Here's my take on Turmoil from the 2600. I became interested when I realized how unfair it was that the 2600 has 64 colors vs 15 colors on the TI, and multicolor sprites too. But then I discovered an elegant way to do multicolor sprites in bitmap mode, and just had to see if it would be fast enough. The game is written in C, and compiled with GCC for the TI. I also used Tursi's Convert9918 program to generate the dithered colors on the rainbow screen.

Gameplay requires Joystick 1. Press fire to start. Use joystick to move and press fire to shoot. Holding down the fire button while moving is an effective way to eliminate swaths of enemies. Collect the blinking prize before it explodes for 800 points, but get out of there quick when the saucer comes. Shoot the arrows before they turn into formidable tanks. An extra ship is awarded at the completion of each level.

Sounds effects are in! Please download the game again.

Source code is up on github

turmoilc.bin

turmoil.rpk

turmoil.ea5

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 25

Damn that's pretty fantastic! I was starting to try and get my gcc platform set up again, but I can't top this. :)

Yeah, I saw that you had found your source code again. I really didn't want to step on your toes. But please continue to work on getting your C development set up again. I can post my source code and makefile if that would be helpful.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw that you had found your source code again. I really didn't want to step on your toes. But please continue to work on getting your C development set up again. I can post my source code and makefile if that would be helpful.

No harm / no foul at all. I've neglected this thing for 9 years... But, I was super-happy to get my source code, it inspired me to put a bunch of old stuff up on github for "eternal" preservation. I'm very excited about your efforts! I've got other neglected projects too...

• Like 1

You managed to re-create the feel of the 2600 pretty well. Nicely done! It does need sound however to make the experience whole and hopefully you can squeeze it in.

Amazing what can be done!

This was fast and fun! :grin: :thumbsup:

With sound effects it will be a blast!

Thanks PeteE!

Sounds effects are added! I hope your ears can tolerate them. :D

• Like 1

I've added an EA5 version now - TURMOIL.bin.

In case you were wondering how the multicolor sprites work, here's how:

post-43480-0-56739800-1545881891.png

There are 4 different color stripe patterns used for the various moving object types: the player ship, the majority of enemy ships, the arrow/saucer, and the explosion. The color stripes are a block of bitmap mode character patterns, with a single sprite set to the inverted shape of the ship and set to black. Here's what it looks like with the sprite layer turned off in classic99:

post-43480-0-55139400-1545881901.png

Each stripe block can be moved pixel-by-pixel horizontally by using the characters from a set of 8 shifted stripes with black background. There is one set for each corner of the block, so 32 characters total for each color stripe. The character pattern table looks like this: (the stripes are duplicated in each of the 3 bitmap mode screen segments)

post-43480-0-20660300-1545881908.png

The player bullets are two sprites, and with one enemy sprite per row, and a single player ship sprite, that stays within the limit of 4 sprites per line.

• Like 11

He will be extremely excited, I guarantee you that. :) He hasn't been on his laptop for a few days.... mom caught him googling one of the more hilarious body parts (innocently) and took away his internet privileges for a few days. He can TI in his room, but no internet for a bit. :)

You never know what googling "big butt" will pull up. :D

I told him it's funny to joke about, but that's not what we use the internet for. He understands and is chomping at the bit to get back online. :)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 3

This 2600 game was on my todo.

But then I discovered an elegant way to do multicolor sprites in bitmap mode, and just had to see if it would be fast enough.

I was going for multicolored sprites too, but then only using background graphics.

Playability. I never got addicted, but it sure looks slick and fast pace. I had the game for the C64. And I've tried the 2600 version a few times. Generally just playing one or two minutes.

Since the interest in May 2018, I took a closer look, since it's a perfect 8K candidate.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 3

Cartridges that run within the 8K cartridge space are always welcome. I regularly get folks asking me for homebrew cartridge games they can play without any expansions. . .there are still a lot of TI users out there with console-only systems, and these new games are a very good way to draw them back to the system.

• Like 4

Unreal, brother.... just getting around to putting this one on my hardware and I am absolutely blown away. The controls are immaculate, the enemies are excellent, sound FX are marvelous....

You just did something incredible.... :)

Thank you so much for this game!!!!!!! High Score Competition fodder, indeed!!!

post-24953-0-30553500-1546239052_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Unreal, brother.... just getting around to putting this one on my hardware and I am absolutely blown away. The controls are immaculate, the enemies are excellent, sound FX are marvelous....

You just did something incredible.... :)

Thank you so much for this game!!!!!!! High Score Competition fodder, indeed!!!

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you all have a lot of fun playing it.

I am amazed how good this looks! I was hoping the TI could do it after playing the Vic-20 version years ago..

Now, how do I get it to start in JS99? :-) I see the demo mode but can't figure out how to play.

Press the fire button on joystick 1, which JS99er maps to the keyboard TAB key. Don't ask me how to play it on your phone.

• Like 1