PeteE

Turmoil clone

post-24673-0-95081900-1546820321.jpg

-- HERE ---

I dedicated a review in ti99iuc website too :)
in the .zip i also included all the labels.

many thanks for this nice game PeteE

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

I dedicated a review in ti99iuc website too :)

in the .zip i also included all the labels.

many thanks for this nice game PeteE

You're welcome! Thank you for the review. Google translate was helpful :)

• Like 1

Unreal, brother.... just getting around to putting this one on my hardware and I am absolutely blown away. The controls are immaculate, the enemies are excellent, sound FX are marvelous....

You just did something incredible.... :)

Thank you so much for this game!!!!!!! High Score Competition fodder, indeed!!!

This high score competition with Turmoil, i will win! ;-)

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 4:55 AM, PeteE said:

I've added an EA5 version now - TURMOIL.bin.

In case you were wondering how the multicolor sprites work, here's how:

post-43480-0-56739800-1545881891.png

There are 4 different color stripe patterns used for the various moving object types: the player ship, the majority of enemy ships, the arrow/saucer, and the explosion. The color stripes are a block of bitmap mode character patterns, with a single sprite set to the inverted shape of the ship and set to black. Here's what it looks like with the sprite layer turned off in classic99:

post-43480-0-55139400-1545881901.png

Each stripe block can be moved pixel-by-pixel horizontally by using the characters from a set of 8 shifted stripes with black background. There is one set for each corner of the block, so 32 characters total for each color stripe. The character pattern table looks like this: (the stripes are duplicated in each of the 3 bitmap mode screen segments)

post-43480-0-20660300-1545881908.png

The player bullets are two sprites, and with one enemy sprite per row, and a single player ship sprite, that stays within the limit of 4 sprites per line.

I'm very interested with this technique but I didn't usterstand nothing ,,, can you please provide a step by step example/eplanation on how to implement it ,,, an easy example would be very help full... thanks a lot in advance for your kindly help

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, whoami999ster said:

I'm very interested with this technique but I didn't usterstand nothing ,,, can you please provide a step by step example/eplanation on how to implement it ,,, an easy example would be very help full... thanks a lot in advance for your kindly help

Are you familiar with bitmap mode on the 9918A?  Familiar with sprites and transparency?  Which programming language would be best for providing an example for you to understand?

The simple answer is the sprite is a mask that allows the characters beneath to be shown through (or not).  So, the sprite isn't of the enemy, it's solid where the enemy is not.

• Like 1