IGNORED

Save My Baby [complete]

ultima

This game started off as a joke. My friend and I were by the local fire dept. when my friend noticed they have a practice exercises tower in the backyard. He thought it would be funny to break into the tower and climb to the top. I added that maybe take a basket of baby dolls and toss them down at the firefighters so they can practice catching flying babies. We both had a good laugh. The next day I thought about it and decided to code this 2k game. This is the result...

Save My Baby.bin

The Game Objective:

Score points for every baby you catch (50 points)

You start with 3 lives if you miss a baby you will lose 1 life

The game ends when you run out of lives

Extra life at 3000,6000,9000 points

Controls:

Move the player across the bottom of the screen using left and right.

Start game pressing Fire or Reset

post-36052-0-78167200-1545871221_thumb.png

Edited by ultima
  • Like 6

-Added a sound effect (couldn't fit any more in without exceeding the bank)

Looks good, and impressive for a 2K game as well!

Thanks this is the first 2k I've done

Very nice.

From a balance perspective, sometimes I would get a baby drop on the far left, followed immediately by the far right so I had no chance to get across and I started preemptively getting to the middle after each one just in case. Maybe that's a design element ? :)

Thanks, the design is random. I can usually catch them if I react quick enough takes a little zen practice. The randomization throws me off sometimes as the woman in the window may stay in the same area several times making you drop your guard.

If you would like to squeeze out a bit more space, you can use a custom includes file starting with a copy of the standard default.inc, and then comment out pf_scrolling.asm since your game doesn't use playfield scrolling. This will give you somewhere around 300 extra bytes, if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

If you would like to squeeze out a bit more space, you can use a custom includes file starting with a copy of the standard default.inc, and then comment out pf_scrolling.asm since your game doesn't use playfield scrolling. This will give you somewhere around 300 extra bytes, if I remember correctly.

I tried this it gave me 100 extra bytes for a total of 211 bytes of ROM space left. I guess with that I could try adding a high score saver or play around with the possibility of adding extra lives or powerups. I'll see if I can get back to it tomorrow. Thanks I never knew we could drop include functions that we were not using and since I have never messed around with scrolling that was a great thing to learn.

• 4 weeks later...