IGNORED

Younger Generation

pjduplooy

Guys

Seeing that we are in a festive spirit, it really warms my heart that there are a younger generation coming into our hobby through their parents (Here's looking at ilikerurtles).

What other younger generation people are taking the TI up as a hobby? (I am looking for people not necessarily related to others on here).

And while we're at it, any ladies in our hobby?

Cheers and a belated Xmas

• Like 1

Here are some fun videos/pictures (on FaceBook):

You can add my son (Rik van Kleunen),he started when he was 2.5 years old:

(we still have 3 generations alive using the TI-99/4A actively. I have a picture somewhere).

Video:

> TI Invaders using a Classic99 emulator (2.5 years):

> https://web.facebook.com/ronald.vankleunen/videos/348478771998446/

> Blasto - TI-99/4A + F18A --- Human vs Computer (3 years)

https://web.facebook.com/groups/ti99ers/permalink/10153739632009844/

> 5 years old on the TI-99/4 with sidecars

https://web.facebook.com/groups/ti99ers/permalink/10154326134519844/

> Projecting the TI-99/4A Titlescreen on his T-shirt and legs:

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=810465345799784&set=pcb.10155566674509844&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Now he is 7, but no atariage account (yet).

• Like 1

Turtles has been to the last six Chicago Faires. . .and Acadiel's daughters have also shown up a few times. One of the other kids in Turtles' class is trying to figure out how to convince his parents to let him have one to play with too. . .after the practical demo Turtles gave them this past Friday.

• Like 1

This is my son playing Video Chess last year- i'm sure i have pictures of both my 12-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son getting some time in on the ol' TI, but they are just interested in other stuff.

My daughter, however, is BRUTAL at Hustler.

post-52262-0-31207600-1545870550.jpg

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 4

At one time, I had Vic-20, C64, Atari 600XL, TI99 4/A, and Tandy 1000(EX,SX,TX). I've since downsized to just C64 and Atari XE, but emulate the others. My best game on the 99 was Defender, used to roll it at will. Also remember making my own controller adaptors by splicing DB9 extension cables. Any TI I do these days'd be through emulation and I've been setting up an old XP rig for that. Small apartments just don't have the space for all things.

I'm younger than many and older than some. ;)

• Like 3

Not trying to be mean here, but in that photo, there appears to be only 3 or 4 people in the 40ish age category. Was the TI used in ham radio during the early 80s, so more popular with the older crowd back then?

I recently attended Tandy Assembly and it seemed to have a much more diverse age group. The majority in their 40s and 50s, but surprisingly quite a few in the 20 to 30 range.

We have a pretty diverse group. I think the Tandy crowd has simply done a better job reaching out to the younger generation with podcasts, etc.... the folks who grew up as kids in the 80s who had CoCos and such.... they are rejoining the fold because someone has re-kindled their interest or they have seen things through social media. The CoCo crowd is pretty active and do a ton for marketing their community.

We do some of that here, but we haven't been able to bring as many folks back simply because Radio shack computers had a larger user-base for a longer period of time.

There are untapped resources out there--we just haven't reached them yet. That is always the plan though. Atariage (over the last 10 years) has brought quite a few folks back into the mix.... and the TI99ers Facebook group is doing good things too. :)

We could also do some things with the Chicago Faire which would bring more youth... the picture I posted may look very different over the next few years.

• Like 1

Tandy assembly had way more proactive advertising in the retro communities than the Chicago faire. The exact dates and details for Chicago were vague and not well communicated right up until a month before the faire. How would anyone expect people outside of the old core group too even be able to attend? I see a bunch of younger people getting into the 4a but they don't have enough information on the events to attend.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Gotcha. From the # of posts I see here vs the other brands (based on AA forums) I thought the TI had a huge fan base on par with Apple, Commodore and Tandy, on the other hand, they have multiple dedicated sites and AA is more of a secondary hangout.

Poor planning doesn't help either but at least Chicago is a prime location. At Tandy Assembly, I made it there around noon on the first day and was already #94. And that was a bizarre location for the midwest.

this might need to be its own topic or added to a different one, but would the events be able to be live streamed? (my apologies if this has been beaten to death).

My wife is super into a bunch of different streamers on Twitch, but I'm not really up on the tech or service.

Chicago was streamed.. it's on youtube now to watch after the fact.

• Like 2

... The exact dates and details for Chicago were vague and not well communicated right up until a month before the faire. How would anyone expect people outside of the old core group too even be able to attend? I see a bunch of younger people getting into the 4a but they don't have enough information on the events to attend.

That brings up a question... what's going on with Fest West this year? Will it also be a two day event to encourage more attendees and give people time to socialize, play, buy, sell and barter? Location, date, times for people to plan ahead, get time off work etc.?

That brings up a question... what's going on with Fest West this year? Will it also be a two day event to encourage more attendees and give people time to socialize, play, buy, sell and barter? Location, date, times for people to plan ahead, get time off work etc.?

Grin I'll bring this up at today's Portland meet up. I suggested a committee a while back.. nobody has stepped up to join in other than you asking what's up

That's rather depressing.

It's actually pretty normal. And why the fest has had to be run by one person to get it off the ground.

You did a great job and then dropped out. Matt too. It's too much for one person to take on with a full time job too.. and then there's the multi day thing on top of it.

Greg

Quiz: What age are they?

Happy New Year 2019 by two Super Models who both have their birthdays this upcoming November:

https://youtu.be/_oHf4fXwNuc

First see the video, after that go to this hint:

Go to History of Texas Instruments' Computers at:
http://www.oldcomputers.net/ti994.html

For the people who are wondering what he is doing with the volume slider on the TI-99/4,

he imagines that he is controlling a fighter jet and the slider is the throttle.

Edited by globeron