IGNORED

Burn MaxFlash 8Mbit from macOS or Linux? (The!Cart vs MaxFlash studio...)

scottinNH

Hey all,

I own an AtariMax 8Mbit cart, and also programmer. I primarily work on macOS and Linux. I have two questions:

Q1: Can I burn 8MBit carts using The!Cart Studio?

Q2: Is the AtariMax.com-provided "MaxFlash Studio" a fork or derivative of "The!Cart Studio"? What's the relationship between these two applications which appear similar?

The!Cart Studio is multi-platform, according to wudsn.com, AND claims to support AtariMax carts (mentions 1Mbit at least). But in reading, it looks like it is limited to exporting "workbook files" meaning it has no direct support for the "MaxFlash USB Programmer hardware, is this correct?

My issue with using MaxFlash Studio it's "Windows only" (despite Java). Every time I need this software, I have to dig out a Windows laptop from the bottom of the closet. (This old laptop has a partly dead keyboard, so it's no fun to use...)

If anyone sees a path to my goals, I really appreciate some direction. I am completely comfortable with command-line tools (and I see there's some Perl script support for AtariMax... is there a way to take an exported "workbook" and run a Perl command to upload it to the AtariMax MaxFlash USB Programmer?)

Thanks!

Edited by scottinNH

The!Cart Studio is Java and multi-platform and creates files that can be flashed/loaded etc. after being transferred to the Atari for in place programming. No connection to the programmer.
MaxFlash Studio is a native Windows program that can generate ATRs which program the Atarimax carts in place in the Atari OR externally via the AtariMax USB programmer.

The main point for your probably is that USB programmer is not really required as flashing 8Mbit also via SIO/the Atari is reasonably fast.
And the USB programmer would very certainly not work under Linux anyway due to missing drivers.

While technically The!Cart Studio can be used to output Atarimax images, they are plain images without a selection menu.
You most likely want the Maxflash Studio menu.

My recommendation would be:

- Use Maxflash Studio (maybe in Wine) to build your Workbooks and export it as Programming ATR

- transfer the ATR to the Atari via SIO2xyz / AspecQt

- boot it and flash from in place the Atari

• Like 3

Hello JAC!

Are you the same "JAC!" of Linksys NAS2000 fame? I used his alternative firmware to gain some nice features out of that old hardware..

OK, many thanks..

I don't have SIO2xx, but I now I do have a reason to buy one (and I kinda wish I knew before spending the $60 on the programmer lol).

Knowledge is progress, and I could get the SIO connector allowing me to retire the Windows laptop. Thanks!

Edited by scottinNH

Are you the same "JAC!" of Linksys NAS2000 fame? I used his alternative firmware to gain some nice features out of that old hardware..

Hi Scott,

no, that's no me.

>I don't have SIO2xx,

I always have my Retro-Laptop side-by-side with my Atari and I use one of these with AspectQt and it works up to divisor 0 (128 kbit/s).

• Like 3

I don't have SIO2xx, but I now I do have a reason to buy one (and I kinda wish I knew before spending the $60 on the programmer lol).

What you want is an Ultimate Cart. https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart

Just throw any car or xex file on the fat32 SD card, stick it in the cart and you can run it from the menu. Supports folders and long file names.

If you're in the USA you can get one from MacRorie here or from his website https://www.thebrewingacademy.com. If you are in Europe there is someone who makes them but I don't know off the top of my head who it is, I'm sure someone helpful will pop up and add that info.

The AVG cart has similar functionality to the ultimate cart and is cheaper but they don't come up for sale very often.

• Like 2

:) SOLVED - Thanks everyone!

On the AtariMax forum, a user told me the software and drivers work fine using VirtualBox. Sure, OK. But I didn't want to BUY Windows. I discovered you can still get a "free" Windows 10 image from Microsoft. Seems like a long term solution then, as the image worked fine "without" activation.

Stephen's comments in the forum suggested Parallels which I looked into but is $99 PER YEAR, no way. (To be fair, they're old suggestions).

Ugh - so one of the reasons I wanted to update my flash cart -- my in-laws wanted to play Ghostbusters again.

I have an Atari 800 (48K) - is there an ATR-format Ghostbusters?

Some of the more popular rom sites ONLY offer the "ATX" format, which AtariMax Studio still does not support... :-(

...I found one ATR on the AtariMax format, but for some reason that image requires 64K.

I'm 99.9% positive this was a 48K game...

Edited by scottinNH