IGNORED

Beef Drop (arcade edition to be)

TIX

Hey guys, and happy holidays to you all :) I have already posted this in the hacks forum, but it has 0 views.. so here we go:

I have recently hacked the 8-bit version of Beef Drop with new sprites, and I want to inject them into the 7800 version to create an "arcade edition" of the game !
I read that it is possible to edit the sprites using jwierer's editor (beef drop construction set),

This tool was actually used to create this: xmas hack of Beef Drop back in 2006..

But... I fail to find how, must be something I miss because all the other tools by jwierer are pretty straightforward (I tried to contact him unsuccessfully).

So can you point me in the right direction ?

If you want to check my hack, see my signature below:

• Like 1

I actually had the same idea as you to update the sprite graphics for Beef Drop to better match the arcade version of BurgerTime, but serviceable tools are unfortunately lacking. I'd be curious to know how Ken Siders made the graphics and inserted them into the game in the first place, but I guess it's easier if you have a working understanding of the programming side of things. I thought that jwierer's xmas hack was a cool (pun intended) idea and was considering expanding on that also by removing any vestiges of the original burger theme from it entirely, but it's not worth beating a dead horse grousing about why graphics editing tools for the 7800 either stink or don't exist so I'll just let it go and move on. :mad:

• Like 1

I've always found it plays rather excellently - collision detection, ladders, and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfopxhPK8v4

However, as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. ;)

The only problem I had with Beef Drop is the difficulty ramps up too fast. If I remember right, it goes from 2 enemies straight to 6 enemies without the happy medium of 4 enemies. What's up with that?

Final release, "normal" difficulty, starts with 4 enemies and continues that way through the second level (See video above). :)

By the third screen, six enemies appear.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, especially when turning onto and off of ladders. It is much less forgiving than other versions. It's probably not a bug though.

Different builds? I was playing the earliest POKEY release today (cartridge number 3) and noted that Peter didn’t die when he ran into one of the franks on a ladder. He did die when I tried to repeat the manoeuver.

Different builds? I was playing the earliest POKEY release today (cartridge number 3) and noted that Peter didn’t die when he ran into one of the franks on a ladder. He did die when I tried to repeat the manoeuver.

I don't think so. I am pretty good at the Coleco version, but I find BD to be pretty difficult. I use the strategy of killing the baddies from the bottom up so that each piece of the burgers can be used to drop them and rack up points without progressing too far into the game. This requires a lot of running around and you are always near them. If you allow them to get anywhere near you and you can't get them to follow you in a straight line onto a piece, the second you have turn you die.

It should continue through all the levels imo.

If the "Normal" difficulty is too challenging, there is also "Easy" difficulty that can be selected, as well as "Child".
"Easy" difficulty has the same number of enemies released but movement is at a much slower pace.
"Child" difficulty keeps only two enemies on the screen with the same pace as "Easy", and doubles the number of starting peppers.