Spellcaster

Fantasy Zone II

Phantasy Star

Power Strike

Zillion

R-Type

Golden Axe Warrior (if it's affordable)

Psycho Fox

Rampage (best port until you could get arcade emulation at home)

Wanted and Gangster Town if you have the ability to use the Light Phaser

Castle of Illusion

Choplifter

The Ninja

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

The Master System version of Columns has unique tile sets, and is my favorite version until like Columns III on the Genesis.

If we're getting fancy, there are plenty of good exclusives from other countries. There's an absolutely excellent version of Bubble Bobble. Baku Baku Animal. Land of Illusion. The Lucky Dime Caper. Power Strike II (too rich for my blood, and I specifically collect Compile games). Vampire: Master of Darkness (fun Castlevania ripoff). SMS exclusive Ninja Gaiden. Chase HQ. Battle Outrun (Chase HQ ripoff).

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 3

Ghouls n Ghosts is really good for the Master System and somewhat unique. Wonderboy 2 is amazing as well.

Hidden gems: Black Belt, Ghost House, Teddy Boy, My Hero, Fantasy Zone: The Maze, Cyborg Hunter, Penguin Land, Ghostbusters (best version), Zillion II, Alien Syndrome, Enduro Racer

• Like 2

For me the games I had a lot of fun on SMS were the old standard rpg's Phantasy Star & Ys. I had a pretty good collection of SMS games along with the NES, but once the Genesis came out I pretty much abandoned the SMS 100%. Apparently though a lot of the better SMS titles came out after that timeframe, although people in the US weren't privy to a lot of it, which is a shame.

I will say for me, Shinobi on the SMS was a disappointment at the time for the fact that you couldn't rapid fire shurikens.. which is what I liked about the arcade game. However I ended up liking the title for what it was.. playing through it. Warning though IT HAS THE WORST ENDING FOR A VIDEOGAME EVER. Ok maybe that's harsh, but "it's up there" with the worst. Just saying.. if you spend the time to get good at the game, don't expect reward. :)

I was also disappointed at the time with Double Dragon after all the hype of it being 2-player. It felt very 'floaty' to me. HOWEVER.. in recent years I've come to realize that it was because of the weak sound. When you play the FM Sound version. It totally changes the feel, at least to me. I've come to like it more these days. Check the difference out:

• Like 2

I've owned the SMS twice before and I'm not going to cheat and read the other comments. :) In no real order I would love to own a SMS or device that runs that stuff again so I could play some of these once more.

- Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

- Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (UK)

- Master of Darkness (UK)

- Sonic 1 and 2

- Shinobi

- Outrun

- Aztec World

- Ys

- Rastan

- Gauntlet

- Ristar

- Golden Axe Warrior

- Spellcaster

- Zillion 2

- Power Srike

- (both) Fantasy Zone(s)

- Phantasy Star

- Golvellius

- Rampage

- Choplifter

- Baku Baku Animal

- Dragon Crystal

- Enduro Racer

- Ghouls n Ghosts

- Klax

- Ninja Gaiden

- Quartet

- Wonderboy

- Wonderboy in Monster Land

- Wonderboy 3 the Dragon's Trap

- Bomber Raid

- Aerial Assault

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World

I can remember that many. I was surprised as I only got the SMS in the 2000s and barely touched one before yet there was plenty of quality unique and some quality conversions too. Perhaps I should grab those files and toss them on my ez flash omega using SMS Advance.

• Like 1

So many great games for the SMS... Too many to talk about. I'm going to have to say that Phantasy Star is my favorite game for the system... and for someone who has played 1000's of games over the years, It's in my 10 ten favorites of all time.

Going to re-play it again soon... I got the Re-translation of the game and it's claimed to really change the story around... so looking forward to it..and in RGB though a framemeister… it looks epic too.

• Like 1

For me the games I had a lot of fun on SMS were the old standard rpg's Phantasy Star & Ys. I had a pretty good collection of SMS games along with the NES, but once the Genesis came out I pretty much abandoned the SMS 100%. Apparently though a lot of the better SMS titles came out after that timeframe, although people in the US weren't privy to a lot of it, which is a shame.

I will say for me, Shinobi on the SMS was a disappointment at the time for the fact that you couldn't rapid fire shurikens.. which is what I liked about the arcade game. However I ended up liking the title for what it was.. playing through it. Warning though IT HAS THE WORST ENDING FOR A VIDEOGAME EVER. Ok maybe that's harsh, but "it's up there" with the worst. Just saying.. if you spend the time to get good at the game, don't expect reward. :)

I was also disappointed at the time with Double Dragon after all the hype of it being 2-player. It felt very 'floaty' to me. HOWEVER.. in recent years I've come to realize that it was because of the weak sound. When you play the FM Sound version. It totally changes the feel, at least to me. I've come to like it more these days. Check the difference out:

Biggest issue for me was the insane amount of flicker. It's too much.

I think all of the best games have been mentioned here tbh so I'll just say avoid all Sonic games except for the first one which is excellent. Also, Ninja Gaiden is a poor imitation of the NES games with floaty controls.

Castle of Illusion is the best game on the system imo although Wonder Boy 3 gives it a good run for its money. My personal favourite is Alex Kidd in Miracle World, it's a little janky but I love it all the same.

Edited by Cepp
  • Like 1

Aleste

I don't have a Master System (but I do have Super Aleste for Super Famicom)... anything developed by Compile is great.

I should have mentioned that Aleste is Power Strike but Power Strike II has nothing to do with the Aleste series and was not even developed by Compile.

• Like 1

It's bootleg as all get out, but that other topic started today asking about SMS everdrive stuff the comments made by the guy who started it got me thinking and reminded me there were crooked SMS Advance build carts for sale on the GBA all over ebay. There is a 106 and a 100 in1 cart, the 100 is far more interesting for the better selection of titles that used saving batteries primarily. If you were to ebay for a master system gameboy 100 (or 106) you'll find them and they have pictures of the game lists of both. Either one has between the notably the best stuff you can get for the system for the most part though some are GG games, while other are GG games that got SMS ported but in the EU vs the US. It may be worth a quick browse for more suggestions.

• Like 3

What? No Snail Maze? Just about everyone has that!

(I know, some systems have other built in games... it's a joke...)

My SMS has Hang On built in, and Snail maze is on it. It's the same controller combo to unlock it, just hold that while powering on the system. THe SMS II and the machines that have Sonic built in supposedly do not have snail maze.

• Like 1