IGNORED

TI-99/4A Theremin

Stuart

A little project I've been working on - to produce a simple TI-99/4A theremin. Implemented using a pair of analogue distance sensors (one for frequency, one for volume) connected to a multi-channel I2C analogue-to-digital converter, which is interfaced by bit-banging the joystick port. A bit tricky to play any sort of recognisable tune at the moment as (1) the sensor outputs could do with a bit of smoothing and (2) I haven't got a musical bone in my body.

https://youtu.be/95P-vL_4Hbc

• Like 11

A little project I've been working on - to produce a simple TI-99/4A theremin. Implemented using a pair of analogue distance sensors (one for frequency, one for volume) connected to a multi-channel I2C analogue-to-digital converter, which is interfaced by bit-banging the joystick port. A bit tricky to play any sort of recognisable tune at the moment as (1) the sensor outputs could do with a bit of smoothing and (2) I haven't got a musical bone in my body.

https://youtu.be/95P-vL_4Hbc

Cool project, indeed!

I see, er hear, what you mean about needing smoothing the outputs. There are plenty of musicians on this forum who would likely be interested. |:)

...lee

Here is my Moog Etherwave standard theremin. I also have a vintage Moog Melodia theremin. The theremin can do a lot more than make spooky sounds for halloween. The best players can really make this instrument literally sing. Look up videos of Clara Rockmore, Peter Pringle, Carolina Eyck and others.

gallery_34177_1100_414940.jpg

• Like 1

Cool project, indeed!

I see, er hear, what you mean about needing smoothing the outputs. There are plenty of musicians on this forum who would likely be interested. | :)

...lee

This is an interesting instrument design question. The original Theremin was analogue of course an so had essentially infinite frequency resolution within its possible range.

This made it like a trombone or violin in that the player had to set the frequency by ear.

The digital Theremin can tame this with preset steps, like a guitar or piano does. I think Stuart has done this in his implementation which is easier to play.

Doing preset pitches of course loses some of the magic of the instrument to create the eerie sounds that we traditionally hear from a Theremin.

This is an interesting instrument design question. The original Theremin was analogue of course an so had essentially infinite frequency resolution within its possible range.

This made it like a trombone or violin in that the player had to set the frequency by ear.

The digital Theremin can tame this with preset steps, like a guitar or piano does. I think Stuart has done this in his implementation which is easier to play.

Doing preset pitches of course loses some of the magic of the instrument to create the eerie sounds that we traditionally hear from a Theremin.

That's right - at the moment the sensor output is mapped to just 15 notes - I was going to try to play a Christmas carol, but difficult to repeatedly position a hand to play a certain note.

• Like 3