arcadeshopper

Fest West April 2019  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Attend?

• Yes I have every intention on attending
    • Perhaps, depends on location/costs
    • Probably not
    • Definately no
  2. 2. Area ideas ($ is cost estimates for event/lodging)

• Beaverton Oregon ($$)
    • Vancouver Washington ($)
    • Tacoma Washington ($$$)
    • Other (post it below)
  3. 3. How many days should we plan for?

4. 4. Possibility of cost to attend

• I am willing to pay something to get a larger/longer event
    • I am not willing to pay for entry
  5. 5. Would you like to see more scheduled talks/events?

• Yes, more schedule.. all the time should be blocked out
    • Yes, more schedule, but leave a bunch of "free time"
    • Anarchy! We'll figure it out as we go
    • No opinion
  6. 6. Are you willing to be part of the organizing committee?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
  7. 7. Live streaming?

• Yes!
    • No!
  8. 8. Are you interested in a group-rate hotel room for the event?

• Yes, even if it's just 1 day
    • Yes, but only if it's 2 days
    • Only if it's not close to home
    • No
  9. 9. Should food be provided at the location during the day?

• Yes, part of the cost of entry
    • Yes, optional to decide to partake when we are there
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Looking for headcount and desired duration etc..

I'm asking because we can plan more, but probably not for free entry..

We can easily do another free event like we did the last few years but not at any greater scale than the last few years.

If anyone feels they can do more/better or has other feasible suggestions please speak up here

• Like 1

I seem to be an outlier with these ideas, but this is my take on events like this:

1. Charge people to attend (and people should expect people to pay!) Putting on an event like this, no matter how small it seems, takes time and money. The organizers should not have to foot the bill for the convenience of the group. Hobbies cost money, some more than others. Collect money up front via PayPal, EventBright, or similar.

2. Have it in a location that is cheap and easy for people to get to. Close to an airport is good if you expect people to have to fly in to attend.

3. Have it at a hotel where you can get a block rate and a conference room large enough for the event. Try to get the room for the evening before the event as well, so people can arrive the night prior, get set up, and even start the event early! Gasp! The event should be worth people's time, expense, and effort to get there.

4. Presentations are fine as long as they do not interfere with the social aspect of the event. After all, the primary focus is meeting people, trading, talking, showing off systems, etc. A few scheduled activities are ok, and doing so in a dedicated area separate from the main activity is even better. Go with the flow. If people are having a good time, don't kill the atmosphere with a schedule.

5. Change whatever the cost of the conference room is divided by a realistic minimum number of people. Most people would consider this fair. Any profits that happen to arise should go to the organizers to use however they want (pocket the money, put it towards next year's event, etc.)

6. The event should go as long / late as possible, with an end-time dictated by the conference room rental.

Personally I would like to see the event in Seattle (I have other reasons for wanting to go there) or Vegas. Vegas is cheap and easy from just about anywhere in the U.S. (and even other parts of the world I suspect). If the event is going to remain in the greater Oregon / Washington area, then I have no opinion other than #2 above.

The question about streaming: yes, but only if it does not take a lot of time, effort, or extra expense.

The question about number of days: 1.5 is better. People have to arrive, and those from out of town will have to spend at least 1 night. IMO the event should start on "set-up / arrival day" (the half-day), followed by one full day. This way the set-up day could be Friday or Saturday, which still gives people time to travel back home after the event. People only need to take off a little bit of time on a Friday or Monday (or no time at all if you like to run yourself ragged) to attend.

• Like 2

1. Charge people to attend (and people should expect people to pay!) Putting on an event like this, no matter how small it seems, takes time and money. The organizers should not have to foot the bill for the convenience of the group. Hobbies cost money, some more than others. Collect money up front via PayPal, EventBright, or similar.

I'm not opposed to this, especially if the whole event is at the same place like a hotel with free parking. With us all being in the same hotel it would be easier to socialize 'after hours', meet up for breakfast or dinner, and possibly even play TI games. How would you handle 'party crashers'?

4. Presentations are fine as long as they do not interfere with the social aspect of the event. After all, the primary focus is meeting people, trading, talking, showing off systems, etc. A few scheduled activities are ok, and doing so in a dedicated area separate from the main activity is even better. Go with the flow. If people are having a good time, don't kill the atmosphere with a schedule.

Agreed, a few is good, especially if there major talent booked like, you, Matt, Corey or some of the other heavy hitters like Vorticon or Tursi with relevant stuff going on in the community. If this happens, it'll be my vacation for the year, so my priority is not to sit and listen to an endless parade of obscure or uninteresting stuff.

5. Change whatever the cost of the conference room is divided by a realistic minimum number of people. Most people would consider this fair. Any profits that happen to arise should go to the organizers to use however they want (pocket the money, put it towards next year's event, etc.)

*IF* there is any left over, it might make a great door prize! ;)

6. The event should go as long / late as possible, with an end-time dictated by the conference room rental.

More bang for the buck, I like that.

Personally I would like to see the event in Seattle (I have other reasons for wanting to go there) or Vegas. Vegas is cheap and easy from just about anywhere in the U.S. (and even other parts of the world I suspect). If the event is going to remain in the greater Oregon / Washington area, then I have no opinion other than #2 above.

The question about streaming: yes, but only if it does not take a lot of time, effort, or extra expense.

The question about number of days: 1.5 is better. People have to arrive, and those from out of town will have to spend at least 1 night. IMO the event should start on "set-up / arrival day" (the half-day), followed by one full day. This way the set-up day could be Friday or Saturday, which still gives people time to travel back home after the event. People only need to take off a little bit of time on a Friday or Monday (or no time at all if you like to run yourself ragged) to attend.

I'm not independently wealthy, so if you're talking Vegas, I'm out. I can't do Seattle either. I can make a Portland gathering, but it'll still require me to schedule time off from work, so whatever happens I can only do two days and one night... including travel time.

Location could vary on how many people would need to fly in. If no one from out of the area signs up, Olympia might be an option as it would give a fairly equal drive from the Portland & Seattle area users to attend, which would probably increase attendance.

• Like 1

I'm not independently wealthy, so if you're talking Vegas, I'm out. I can't do Seattle either. I can make a Portland gathering, but it'll still require me to schedule time off from work, so whatever happens I can only do two days and one night... including travel time.

I'm not sure about everyone, but I think most of us fall into the category of not independently wealthy. For me I have to buy a plane ticket no matter where the event is, and flying to Vegas is usually cheaper than any place else in the U.S. I too would have to take time off of work. Like I said, "hobby" does not mean it is cheap.

Location could vary on how many people would need to fly in. If no one from out of the area signs up, Olympia might be an option as it would give a fairly equal drive from the Portland & Seattle area users to attend, which would probably increase attendance.

The main things that have prevented me from coming previously have been the single day event at a "middle of the road" location. Paying for a plane ticket is already pushing it, but to then have to get a hotel, and rent a car and drive a few hours to the venue (for a single day), that is a deal breaker. Flying in to an airport and catching an Uber/Lyft/Taxi to the event hotel is doable.

There is no perfect central location for everyone in a 150 mile radius. But for those who are that close, the drive should be a non-issue. When I lived in Michigan I would not think twice about the 3.5 hour drive to Chicagoland for the faire. If you want better attendance, make it easier / more fair for those who have to take days off of work and fly in. Again, just my opinion. Running an event is not easy, I'm not the organizer and this is not my show.

For me I have to buy a plane ticket no matter where the event is...

... Like I said, "hobby" does not mean it is cheap.

... Again, just my opinion. Running an event is not easy, I'm not the organizer and this is not my show.

Yeah, not a cheap hobby when coming from out of the area. I'm not the organizer either, but I will say this, those that ARE putting this on all reside in the Portland area, so it's probably fair to expect them to have it in their 'backyard' since they will be doing all the planning, organizing and probably setup too. Besides, it's difficult to scout out and book places if they are in a different city.

• Like 1

The drive to Vancouver or anywhere relatively close is all right for me. (Albeit still more than 3 hours, I get a hotel room just because otherwise I'd be exhausted.)

It's too bad Seattle is out, the DoubleTree in Seattle near Seatac is actually a really nice hotel, I went there for Paizo Con last year. It has wings that have a very classic 70's/80's style to them that kind of fits a retro computer con. Or a remake of the Shining... :D

• Like 1

Yeah, not a cheap hobby when coming from out of the area. I'm not the organizer either, but I will say this, those that ARE putting this on all reside in the Portland area, so it's probably fair to expect them to have it in their 'backyard' since they will be doing all the planning, organizing and probably setup too. Besides, it's difficult to scout out and book places if they are in a different city.

I kind of like the idea of going bigger this year, like in Vegas. It's the 40th anniversary of the TI, so it would be kind of neat. Drumming up the publicity on the 40th anniversary could mean more people would be interested in attending. I have not heard a peep about 2019 being the 40th anniversary, so it could help make this years event bigger/better. The 99/4 was to be shown at the January 1979 CES in Las Vegas, but ended up being shown at the June 1979 Chicago CES instead.

Las Vegas also has the entertainment to make people want to come from all over. Things to do at night.

Another thing I was thinking. Would it be better to hold the faire over one of the 3 day weekends, like Memorial Day/Labor Day? That way people would have an extra day off work?

Or, do we drop TI faires completely and just have a TI area at the bigger classic computer shows. Not sure how big TI faires are nowadays, but someone mentioned about 10 years ago or so that having system specific faires was no longer a good idea and that we should just come together and be part of the bigger classic computing/gaming faires and demo/get involved that way. We could still have the fun of meeting other TIers and hanging with them, but in a more lively environment and also see what others are doing for other systems.

Edited by Toucan

I kind of like the idea of going bigger this year, like in Vegas.

Seriously, if you want one in Vegas, do it. I'll not be able to make it, but I will be at Fest West this year. I expect Greg & company will be hosting the best one yet, especially since it'll be an over night thing with 2X the opportunity for fun over the last three years that were only one day flings.

Ok a more rational response..

if you want a TI fest VEGAS go for it.. I can't wait to hear about it and I may attend, but it's not cheap to fly there from PDX.. Please plan it not during PRGE/Chicago (so mid oct-first weekend of november) or in April during fest west ..thanks!

this is not that..

Greg

• Like 1

Hi y'all,

I really enjoyed visiting your monthly meeting last May. It was all too brief and I wish I could visit again.

I considered the possibility of another trip to Portland, but, one family member is going there in March, and then I'll be doing the usual 3 or 4 tables of TI gear at Midwest Gaming Classic April 12-14. https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

That should have zero impact on your event... its me and about 4 99ers from the Midwest. If you choose that date, we could set up Chatti!

• Like 1

Hi y'all,

I really enjoyed visiting your monthly meeting last May. It was all too brief and I wish I could visit again.

I considered the possibility of another trip to Portland, but, one family member is going there in March, and then I'll be doing the usual 3 or 4 tables of TI gear at Midwest Gaming Classic April 12-14. https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

That should have zero impact on your event... its me and about 4 99ers from the Midwest. If you choose that date, we could set up Chatti!

Or skype and chatti :)

Greg

Considering some are suggesting moving the majority of TI people in NW to SW Vegas sounds kind of silly.

I think more resided closer to Portland then anywhere else in the NW.

Thus would increase attendance as Portland is a international hub for Airlines, and is not a crowded as Vegas.

I can imagine the Transportation costs and stay cost in Vegas as a huge budget issue for most here.

I would be fine with money you need from me for Portland, but would find it tough to go to Vegas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a conversation with a DoubleTree Portland airport where people could fly in and stay there they offered me a room for $1,000 a day plus AV gas and internet cost and 10% discount for block of rooms doesn't seem cost-effective at this point will keep looking around

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...